Gas guzzler? GTO?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas guzzler? GTO?

Gimme a break. I'm hoping it's not true...

Just saw a 2004 GTO on e-bay. The dealer stated the vehicle includes a $1000 gas guzzler tax. Is this true??? How the H$#& does this car meet that requirement? I believe it gets upwards of 28 mpg on the hwy. Say it aint so...a $1000 penalty!!!!!

Those d$#m SUV's!!! They're exempt yet a vehicle which gets double what a hi-po car got in the 70's is being fined?!?!?!
    Al 96 Ram Air T/A
    Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

From what I had heard, the auto trans car gets the guzzler tax, the stick car doesn't. Makes sense due to the auto cars having reduced mileage.

Comment

If true, this is about the most ludicrous thing I have ever heard. I realize that teh SUVs and all quality for a different set of gas standards and all, but to make a car that gets MPG in teh 20s a gas guzzler and not a 6,000 pound SUV that gets 10 miles a gallon is idiocy!!!!!
      2000 Z-28 Convertible, neutral leather interior and neutral top, hotchkis STB, SLP Bowtie Grill, WhisperLid, K&N, cold air induction

Comment

Under the so-called gas guzzler law passed by US Congress in 1978 to encourage production of fuel-efficient vehicles, US and foreign auto manufacturers must pay taxes ranging from $1,000 to $7,700 for each new car that fails to surpass the 22.5 miles per gallon (combined) threshold.

While sport utility vehicles have been blasted by environmental groups for their fuel consumption, and are often labeled "gas guzzlers" by the press, SUVs, pickup trucks, and minivans are not subject to the "gas guzzler" tax because they are classified as light trucks instead of cars.
        Joe K.
        '11 BMW 328i
        '10 Matrix S AWD
        Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Working...
        X