F-body or Dsm?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F-body or Dsm?

Hello everyone, I've decided that I am looking for a new ride. I've pretty much narrowed it down to a camaro/firebird or a talon/eclipse. So everyone give me some good reasons to buy a f-body! Can these things turn? Mainly its AWD vs RWD

Hmmm that's exactly the same choice I had after I wrecked my 95 formula. I wanted either another F-bod or a 1st gen DSM. They are both great bang for your buck cars. I like the F-bod better though. It's bigger and meaner, sounds wicked with the right exhaust, generally has better performance potential without dumping an insane amount of money into them and can handle very well with just a few suspension mods. The DSMs are cool too though. The drivetrain is somewhat weak though and will start breaking once you start making alot of power. But for xtreme mods it's pretty cool. I like the AWD too. Tons of traction and helps if you have to drive in snow. One thing I don't like is the "boy racer" image that comes with the DSMs. Either car is pretty cool IMHO but I like the F-bod a little better hence the 96Z28 sitting in my driveway. Later

96 Z28 A4, K&N CAI, 3.42 gears, Exhaust Cut Out. Best ET 14.02 -R.I.P. 95 Formula-

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Nice Guy
      One thing I don't like is the "boy racer" image that comes with the DSMs. Later
      Thats just it. Do you want a REAL machine or just a little boy's toy??
      96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
      11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Now, all kidding aside. I am a little into turbo cars myself. I dont have a DSM, but I can relate a little bit. If I had the choice and had to give up one of my toys, it would definately NOT be my f-body. I like the turbo; its fun to play with, but theres nothing like the rumble of the V8 and all of that TORQUE. My bird just has the mean feeling, where as the turbo has that zippy feel to it. Fun, but nothing like the bird.

The big reason to stay away from the DSM is that it is Japanese. Parts are insanely priced, its a P.I.T.A. to work on and when all is said and done, all you have is a Jap pocket rocket. The f-body is a legend.
        96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
        11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Originally posted by N20LT4Bird

The big reason to stay away from the DSM is that it is Japanese. Parts are insanely priced, its a P.I.T.A. to work on and when all is said and done, all you have is a Jap pocket rocket. The f-body is a legend.
          I used to have a Mitsubishi and after numerous mods, I have to say it was fun but one hell of a PITA when it came to parts and durability. Overall, the car was a rattletrap that would go pretty quick, yet still wasn't as pleasing of a ride as my T/A or Z. I will never, ever own another Mitsubishi product as their service is horrible, the mechanics seemed second rate, parts supply was horrible and pretty pricey. Do I sound like I hate their customer service? You bet!

Comment

its a rather tough decision. though it seems like i dont like dsm;s from my other posts ... i give them respect, and the turbo is definatley fun. but there isnt any thing like the feeling of your whole car shaking when you rev it !! i guess it kida is ur own personal preference tho unless you are that torn between the two. something to consider is weather where you live if u have to drive it year round, right about now the awd would be pretty nice to have where im from
            -Nick-
            95 A4 Z28

Comment

Had a Mitsubishi had nothing but problems with it had to put new spark plugs in it everyother weekwent through brake pads in 7,000 miles

Comment

Go with the f-body. I have two friends with talons and I have spent so much time working on both cars. Even the bolts on the engine are cheap and snap easy.
                1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

When I got my first new car the DSM's were in the running. However, while a stripped Z28 was on the high side of my budget, the Turbo DSM price was out of my league. I ended up buying a 98 Camaro V6 and was more than happy with it! Faster and more fun to drive than a non-turbo DSM.

In the end I didn't see me getting enough for my money with the AWD Turbo car.
                  Joe K.
                  '11 BMW 328i
                  '10 Matrix S AWD
                  Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

I've had two 4th gen V8 F-bods, and one second gen AWD DSM.

First car was an auto 94 Formula. Then got a 5 speed 95 Talon TSi AWD. Then the 6 speed 96 Z28 which I have now..

I LOVED the Talon so much. It was fairly quick when stock, and when I was done, I had a 16G and most supporting mods. See http://www.cousinlarry.com/dsm/dsm.html for pics/vid/mods

Nothing quite like reving to 5k, and letting the ACT 2600 grab, and getting butterflies in your stomach as you rocketed to 60mph.

Totally insane. Definately not a little boy's toy as for the money it would give F-bods a run and a half. Also like to say that mods are a LOT cheaper for the DSM than the F-bods. Just because they are in abundance I think. You can get a first gen AWD for $3k and spend $2k in mods and run 12's. Awesome. I love those cars, and I will have another soon.

Not sure why I went back to the muscle after I sold my Talon.. Maybe because I wanted to try the 6 speed. Maybe because I missed lighting up the tires at will.. Maybe I missed the instant torque.. Or the loud rumble, or the fear it would strike in people's eyes as I drove by and the ground would shake.. I don't know.. They both have their ups & downs.

I say to test ride each of them. If you can, test drive a highly modded DSM, because stock they aren't TOO impressive. And AWD is the only way to go with them. Don't get FWD and DEFINATELY don't get N/A. Same with the F-bod, DON'T get a V6. You'll be wanting more.

That's about all I can say. if you have any DSM specific questions, ask away.
                    99 SS, MTI Lid, 3.90 gears, Hurst shifter, DMH 3" e-cutout

Comment

heres a reason...
                      -Rico

Click here to visit my CarDomain page!

01 Camaro Convertable, A4, White, Audiobahn 12" subs and amp 800W/RMS,Xenon
                      98 TA/WS6, M6, All options,stock with minor mods, stealth JL Audio-Sold
                      98 Camaro, V6, A4, Silver, Xenon Body kit, white guages, MTX system, custom interior SOLD
                      94 Camaro, 3.4L, M5, Quasar Blue, SOLD

Comment

DSMs are OK cars, when they are functioning. They respond well to mods.. but the car suffers. I owned a 97 eclipse turbo, biggest piece of **** I ever bought. Sold it after 6 months of ownership. They are notorious for crank walk and reliability is terrible. Get the F Body .. you wont regret it. Dont get me wrong, I love imports and the whine of a turbo, but DSMs are pieces of ****, flat out.

Comment

Originally posted by dimn
                          but DSMs are pieces of ****, flat out.
                          That's not true for all of them. I'm sure you had a bad one.

I bought my 95 stock at 85k miles, and modded it to about 100hp more, and drove it to 138k and had NO problems at all.. None, just replaced the clutch with an ACT2600. Other than that, it was never in the shop. Was very reliable to me. And it ran 17psi of boost daily.

It's all in the individual car, don't put a blanket statement out after one experience.

Comment

You say I might of had a bad one, well same goes for you - maybe you got a "good" one - I base my statements on experience and what I've heard and witnessed from a majority of other people. I've heard tons of people *****ing about their cars, that's the only reason I made it so general.

Comment

Just saying.. You said they all suck, I am here to say you're wrong.

Yours may have sucked. I have many friends with them, and some are good, some are bad. The same with any car.

My Formula - I blew the tranny, water pump, 11 hour plug job, and two tranny mounts. Had it the same amount of time as the DSM.

Not trying to argue, just saying.

Comment

Working...
                              X