Need some PAINT experts here.... Wolfman, anyone PLEASE >>

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some PAINT experts here.... Wolfman, anyone PLEASE >>

I helped a buddy tonight replace some headlight bulbs in his car.. Anyways, his car is black and the headlights pull out to swap out the bulbs. Well, we didn't put a towel down, and there is a rubber piece that goes around the actual headlight... Anyways, it rubbed against the bumper and when we put the headlights back in, there are a TON of scuff marks on the bumper... I'm thinking about putting some Scratch out on them for him... Will that get them out? if not, will a detail place be able to get them out with a buffer? This isn't permanent is it? Also, when a scratch or scuff is buffed out, will it ever return? I was always under the assumption that a buffer just HID the scratch/scuff with wax, and when the wax wears off, it will return... is this true?

Thanks,
    Jeff
    One SWEET 02 GAGT w/ tons of mods!

Don't even sweat it.

Take a little 3M "Finesse it" finishing compound on a clean soft rag and rub firmly with your finger until the marks are gone. Rub directly on the marks themselves. (you might get a blister on your finger)

This stuff will take out anything if you rub long enough. And, NO it will not ever come back. Be carefull not to rub completely through the clearcoat! This is a rubbing compound, not a wax. What it does, is actually remove tiny amounts of the clearcoat as you rub, until the scratches are gone.

Once the scratches are gone, apply a polish to remove any rubbing marks and then wax. I've removed pretty deep scratches this way with perfect results. If it is scratched all the way through the clearcoat, you are screwed, but that is a really deep gouge and I doubt your marks are that bad..

3M Finesse it finishing compound can be purchased at any auto body supply shop for around $35.00 a bottle. (big bottle, lasts a long time)

Comment

3M Scratch and Swirl works pretty well too.

96 TA Sold!
      87 TA Sold!
      80 Z28 Sold!
      74 Formula Sold!
      73 Z28 Sold!
      69 Camaro Not Sold!

Comment

what these guys said.....the trick is though...take your time...go slowly... a little at a time. always rub in the direction of the scratch if possible.

good luck.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
        Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
        sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

WHile we are at scratches. My piece between the tail lights has some scratches that are not deep but are real ugly. See bottom left on the pic.

I was wondering how you can clean those up. Also I would like to remove the red logo and bird and eventually put a different color on.

I've seen photos were people removed the logos. Any secret on that?
          Attached Files
          97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

That piece is just black plastic, right? If so, I would try buffing them off, and if I that didnt work, I would just replace the piece.

I bet the firebird graphic would buff off too. You might try color sanding it, then buffing. That would kill the screaming chicken for sure.

Comment

Not sure what you can use to buff or sand plastic. Anybody with an idea?
              97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Originally posted by Black97
                Not sure what you can use to buff or sand plastic. Anybody with an idea?
                I would use standard aggressive compounds for paint. Plastic is soft, just like paint and it should color sand and buff perfectly.

Comment

Working...
                X