An Argument Over 0-60

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Argument Over 0-60

Me and one of my friends were having an argument the other day. He has just bought a 91 300zx twin turbo. He also has a magazine from 91 that says its 0-60 is a 5.9 - belivable for a small car with 300 factory horse power. I told him that i had heard my 94 z28 with the 6 speed had a 5.5 0-60. He then told me i was dead wrong (in a few different words of course). And I left it at that.
    Who is right? I've looked at a couple internet sites, but all i can find is the factory horse power (275) for my year. Does anyone Know the Factory Horse Power for a 94 Z-28 Camaro?!!!

94 Z28 M6
    K&N Intake, 3"Exhaust, and a few extras
    http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/606041

Quick Change

My last sentance should have been-
    Does Anyone know the factory 0-60 of a 94 Camaro Z-28

Sorry for the confusion.

94 Z28 M6
    K&N Intake, 3"Exhaust, and a few extras
    http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/606041

Comment

LT1 in 94 was 275 HP. 0-60 times were quoted by several sources as 5.7 seconds 0-60. Some people were able to get it quicker, some were slower.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
        LT1 in 94 was 275 HP. 0-60 times were quoted by several sources as 5.7 seconds 0-60. Some people were able to get it quicker, some were slower.
        if you lived in Montana.....and it was winter.....and you set your tires treads on fire with lighter fluid for 30 seconds..... 5.4 was possible..........

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
        Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
        sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

5.4sec 0-60 !!!!
          94 Z28/UltraZ Hood & Box/1 1/2 Drop/52mmTB & Bypass/160 Stat/Pulley/ Catback & pipe/Kirkey seats/5 point belts/WW Wing/Ford9"-4.11- Detroit locker-Strange axles/ZEKE'S Heads & LT4 HC/Stainless Headers & Y/1LE Panhard/BMR SFCs-STB-Relo Brackets-Tunnel Brace-Adj Tq arm- Sway bar- LCAs-PHB/ABARE RACING 4L60E/COAN 3200/Monster tach & light/DS Loop

19/09/04[M6]=12.392@113.518 / 1.802 60ft.

10/04/05[A4]=12.29@111.9 /1.652 60ft.

Comment

I believe the 5.5 second range give or take is pretty close. There was a little V6 truck back then that did it in 4.6 to 4.9 seconds.
            LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

That "little" 300ZX weighs between 3800-4000 pounds, which is more than your f-body weighs. 5.9 is a stretch for a 300, must have been a good driver. They do not get out of the hole hard at all, because they are not made for drag racing. The car is made for corners, as is evident with the IRS, HIKAS, and adjustable suspension. It also has bad turbo lag unless somebody has messed with it, and the torque comes in a lot higher than an f-body. All of that equates into a lower 0-60 time. Go line your buddy up man to man and spank his proverbial butt for us, and tell him that magazine numbers don't mean jack.

You can also inform him that the fastest street legal 300ZX's in the US are just now in the high 9's, and those cars have Ford 9" rearends. Street legal 4th gens on stock suspension are well in the 8's.

After you get done dogging him let him know that his first investment needs to be a turbo timer, as 300's are notorious for destroying turbos without them. I also hope he has deep pockets, cause he's gonna need it to keep that car running if he plans on racing it much. A friend of mine has one, and although he is very strict on maintenance, he is fairly hard on the car. It's been completely rebuilt twice since he bought it in 97, and is currently down for it's third set of turbos. The car has spent 4 of those 7 years not running at all. Tell him to go buy a $500 Chevy van with 300,000 miles on it to drive back and forth to work. It will be more reliable than that Z
              "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

Originally posted by MN6WS6
                That "little" 300ZX weighs between 3800-4000 pounds, which is more than your f-body weighs. 5.9 is a stretch for a 300, must have been a good driver.
                I'm sorry, where do you get your information? First of all, it's a two seater. Second, it's a V6. It MIGHT weigh that with a FAT A$$ driver in the seat, say oh... 300 - 350 pounds? The 300ZX weighs 3400, or 3500 depending on the model.

And the 300ZX can hit a 5.5-5.6 fairly easy, 5.9 with a terrible driver.

I think you should get your information straight before you post. Not trying to start a fight, it's just degrading to what is an amazing machine.

Btw, a 300ZX TT would roast a 94 Z28.

Comment

Originally posted by dimn
                  I'm sorry, where do you get your information? First of all, it's a two seater. Second, it's a V6. It MIGHT weigh that with a FAT A$$ driver in the seat, say oh... 300 - 350 pounds? The 300ZX weighs 3400, or 3500 depending on the model.

And the 300ZX can hit a 5.5-5.6 fairly easy, 5.9 with a terrible driver.

I think you should get your information straight before you post. Not trying to start a fight, it's just degrading to what is an amazing machine.

Btw, a 300ZX TT would roast a 94 Z28.
                  I'm stepping in here......

First, the 300 IS heavy.

Second, Motor Trend quotes anywhere from 13.8 - 14.2 in the quarter. With 300 HP and 283 lb/ft it is a decent performer but stock, it's claim to fame is handling, not dragstrip performance.
                  As a comparison, the mag also quotes the SAME times for a standard Z28. The 300Z clocked 3 mph higher in the slolam which like I said before, it's forte is handling. The Chevy was $10,000-$15,000 less. The mag also quotes a 0-60 time for the Camaro as 5.7 seconds. An auto trans 300TT 0-60 of 7.0 seconds (8/'91), the stick shift version 5.7 seconds (4/'92) with a time of 14.2 @100.6 mph. In 7/'93 they did manage a 13.8 in a 300TT, but the slolam was lower, braking was softer. In (11/95) they also got a 13.8 for the Camaro, with a 5.3 second 0-60. The bottom line is they are pretty darned close, most likely the winner will be up to the driver, stock for stock.

Third, you are trying to start a flame war by making it personal.

This is your second warning, you didn't even respond to the first. The next won't be a warning. Let's not let this go the way of many "less desirable" message boards.

Comment

Thanks Joe for the backup.

And I do know what I'm talking about. My best friend owns one, and can quote every single stat for that car, from the original tires and their tread depths up to the torque settings for the screws on the t-top trim. He knows everything for every Z that has ever been built, including the race cars. The 4000 may have been a little off since I was just guessing, but I know for a fact that those cars are nowhere near the specs you are quoting.
                    "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

My friend had a 94 that he loaned me a few times,it is a fun car to drive but nowhere as much fun as the Z or the RX7 of the same era.

It is was a very technologically advanced car for the time with the 4 wheel steering and all,but that also added a good bit of weight.

It was not exceptionally quick but it was fun for high speed cruising,the RX7 was much better handler and a real go kart.

Nice car,looks great just nowhere near as fast as the Z stock for stock !!
                      94 Z28/UltraZ Hood & Box/1 1/2 Drop/52mmTB & Bypass/160 Stat/Pulley/ Catback & pipe/Kirkey seats/5 point belts/WW Wing/Ford9"-4.11- Detroit locker-Strange axles/ZEKE'S Heads & LT4 HC/Stainless Headers & Y/1LE Panhard/BMR SFCs-STB-Relo Brackets-Tunnel Brace-Adj Tq arm- Sway bar- LCAs-PHB/ABARE RACING 4L60E/COAN 3200/Monster tach & light/DS Loop

19/09/04[M6]=12.392@113.518 / 1.802 60ft.

10/04/05[A4]=12.29@111.9 /1.652 60ft.

Comment

Guy I worked for had a beautiful burgundy 300ZX TT which I always considered to be equally fast to my car when it was stock, but better handling & more technologically advanced. He disrespected it enough to drive it in pouring rain, and crashed through some standing water which got sucked up into the engine. It was totalled with $14,000 of damage to the turbos, engine, and electrical system. I always wondered about that guy after he did that...

Comment

Originally posted by MN6WS6
                          Thanks Joe for the backup.

And I do know what I'm talking about. My best friend owns one, and can quote every single stat for that car, from the original tires and their tread depths up to the torque settings for the screws on the t-top trim. He knows everything for every Z that has ever been built, including the race cars. The 4000 may have been a little off since I was just guessing, but I know for a fact that those cars are nowhere near the specs you are quoting.
                          This page says a 1996 300ZX Turbo weighs 3481 lbs without driver:

http://www.supercars.net/cars/1996@$Nissan@$300ZX%20Turbog.html

Although that site also says its 1/4 mile time is 15.0, I don't think that is quite right... I agree with Joe, this one should be a close race... coming down to driver ability.

EDIT: I guess something went wrong with the html... just copy and paste that into your browser, it should work.
                          Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

my car dealership owner..and old and good friend of mine (some of yall knew him.....CJ Barnett)....toasted a 300zx in his 97 Ws6 TA on I95. i witnessed it. both cars were stock. we took and exit and bs'd. the guy traded his 300 in at cj's and got a ws6.......

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                            Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                            sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

I have driven both of these cars and i would have to say they are not that close. For some reason i always here this debate comparing the 300 z to an fbody. The truth is really that the 300 was the dog of the japanese sports cars. The Supra turbo and the RX7 II where the real dangers to the f bodies. Actually, really just the RX7 II was. It was light and had 255 ponies. Only 20 off a car that was about 400 lbs heavier. Now the only japanese car i would consider (if every f body was suddenly destroyed) would be an RX7. The 300 is way to heavy. We used to have a scale to weigh payload for trucks and use to put cars on it and my friends 300 weighed in at 3900lbs with him in it and hes only like 150 lbs. My old z came in at 3700 lbs with me in it and im 175 lbs.
                              2000 Camaro SS
                              Red on Dark Grey Leather,
                              6 spd, Bilstein Suspension,
                              Auburn Differential, Chrome ZR1 Wheels, SLP Performance Exhaust (not loudmouth........yet

Comment

Working...
                              X