How to remove that fastener?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to remove that fastener?

I'm trying to remove the passenger side molding below the door. I found that it is cracked so I was in the process of removing it to see whether I can repair it or I need a new one.

I figured out all the fasteners that need to be removed except one type. They hold the front part of the molding underneath to the front fender. There's 2 of them # 14 on the attached sketch. A big washer and a small head with two small flats on it. It almost looks like you need a special tool.

Question is what do you need to do to loosen them up?
    Attached Files
    97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

hope this helps

I think what you are talking about is one of those plastic rivets. Get a small screw driver (flat tip) and pry up the center. Once you pry up the center pin the whole thing comes out big washer and all.
    NBM '02 Z, SLP Lid, Corsa Cat-Back
    (SOLD 07/03/2004)

Comment

I found this web site in my search. You can enter the GM parts number on the search page

http://www.northlandfasteners.com/

According to the part # it should be one of these allthough it looks different than what I have. I guess I have to try again.
      Attached Files
      97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Yep

My guess is try again. That picture is what I was talking about, so if that's what is on your car just give it another shot.

Merry Christmas

Coop
        NBM '02 Z, SLP Lid, Corsa Cat-Back
        (SOLD 07/03/2004)

Comment

They make a special tool for removing door panels. They are a large flat piece of metal with a slot in it. This prevents breaking the blastic around the fastener. Any local hardware store has them. I would go out in the garage and take a picture of mine so you could see it but I'll too full of Christmas dinner to get off my lazy butt and do it.
          LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

Working...
          X