How to prevent vehicle theft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to prevent vehicle theft

I hate to turn this thread into something else it was meant for but I will and if the moderators want to take it and put it in a sperate post that would be great.

If you are going to invest in a way of keeping someone from steeling your car, I would suggest a car jacking alarm. I can give you my keys and you won't get more than a mile. You have to enter a code everytime the car is started or the door is opened and closed. There are a bunch of them out there. I saw one for $100 on http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...&avf=Y&search=
    I have a Clifford in mine. http://www.clifford.com/
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
    I hate to turn this thread into something else it was meant for but I will and if the moderators want to take it and put it in a sperate post that would be great.

If you are going to invest in a way of keeping someone from steeling your car, I would suggest a car jacking alarm. I can give you my keys and you won't get more than a mile. You have to enter a code everytime the car is started or the door is opened and closed. There are a bunch of them out there. I saw one for $100 on http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...&avf=Y&search=
    I would recommend Lo-Jack over that.

http://www.lojack.com/

Comment

I think that's too much of a hassle, ravelco is way better. And lojack? pfft. It's good - but not great. More often than not, they find your car when it's already been torn apart. It only works on the stupid car thieves or the slow - because they can rip that unit out like its nothing.. same with onstar.

looks like a good idea. any idea on price? can it be installed by the vehicle owner or does it have to be "professionally" installed?
      I'm not sure of the price, because I've never called them to inquire, and I'm pretty sure you can install it yourself, but it's "recommended" you have it installed at a certified place.

Comment

"ravelco is way better" Only if the thief doesn't have the key. If he has your keys and the lock, it does no good. If someone comes up to you at a light and sticks a gun in your face and says give me your car. You get out and he drives away. They key did no good. With a car jack alarm, you get out and he drives away. 30 seconds later the car chirps 5 times telling you to enter the code. 30 seconds after that the car shuts off. If the thief doesn't know the code, it's not going to start.

Every case I have heard of with Low Jack, the car is stripped and abandoned before they find it.

Ravelco and other non low jack alarms can prevent a car from being stolen if you are not around.

Low jack can get the car after it's stolen.

A car jack alarm is the only thing that will prevent a car from being stolen and stripped at any time (with the exception of a tow truck obviously).

In the book that came with my alarm it says, if you are car jacked, get out and let them have your car. Start walking ion the direction they drove and you will find you car about a mile away. All you have to do is turn off the key, turn it back on and enter the code. The alarm will turn off and the car will start.
        2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

there is a LIVE-GPS tracking alrm system out now..but relies upon teh owner after the fact....

that relvpro seems like an awesome idea! I have the lojack... but not even that will stop a determined thief... alll they have to have is a flatbed and boom! no car larm system will prevent that! in matter of fact a zo6 owner after picking it up from the dealer after service, had it stolen right under his nose... cops suspect a flatbed ... at least I have a chance of getting my car back

best I can do is that relveco alarm system, and self-installed hidden fuel pump switch I plan on doing... theif cannot go no where if there is no fule to engine ... and the switch will be in a very inaccesssble area so as to make it not worth the potential theifs time... yes I use the auto club on the clutch, but this will only slow down the theif....

I don't have the perfect solution, cant stop a flatbed thief, but at least i get peace of mind that the car has the potentil of being recoverd if my alarm fule kill switch and etc all fail.

that's the best anyone can do... beside removing a tire ... but that's only good for storage...
          Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
          Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
          pics and info

Comment

(

Hate to see it happen to anybody. But me I have a 357 mag with me at all times. go for it make my day sumbag. The good ol buy alarm.

Comment

a 357 won't protect your car when you aren't there.

Many states don't have concealed carry permits, like Wisconsin. Heaven forbid you even mention it in "the peoples republic of Madison"

People here are a bunch of anti-gun freaks. Like criminals obey gun laws. Criminals do not obey laws, thus that is what makes them criminals, duh.

In any event, if you are keeping a gun in your car, make sure you have a concealed weapons permit. I had someone pound on my window and tell me to get out of my car once. My cell phone proved to be the best defence. I held it up, and said I was dialing 911. He ran away. If I had pointed my gun at him, I would had most likely ended up in jail.

The only time I would ever point a gun at another person is if I was about to kill them. This guy did not qualify for a death sentence just for pounding on my window and threatening me. Had he broken the window and gained access to the inside of my car, it may had been a different story. Thankfully not.

Comment

"ravelco is way better" Only if the thief doesn't have the key. If he has your keys and the lock, it does no good. If someone comes up to you at a light and sticks a gun in your face and says give me your car. You get out and he drives away. They key did no good. With a car jack alarm, you get out and he drives away. 30 seconds later the car chirps 5 times telling you to enter the code. 30 seconds after that the car shuts off. If the thief doesn't know the code, it's not going to start.

Every case I have heard of with Low Jack, the car is stripped and abandoned before they find it.

Ravelco and other non low jack alarms can prevent a car from being stolen if you are not around.

Low jack can get the car after it's stolen.

A car jack alarm is the only thing that will prevent a car from being stolen and stripped at any time (with the exception of a tow truck obviously).

In the book that came with my alarm it says, if you are car jacked, get out and let them have your car. Start walking ion the direction they drove and you will find you car about a mile away. All you have to do is turn off the key, turn it back on and enter the code. The alarm will turn off and the car will start.
                Thats why you give him the keys, but not the lock in that situation, like hes supposed to know what a thing with prongs on it is.. I do get where you are coming from though.. you probably dont think about that if you've got a gun to your face. The code thing sounds great, friend of mine had something rigged up in his explorer, where when he got out.. he just pulled a jumper or fuse or something, and the car would start - but it would just rev and die if someone tried to jack it. And like someone else said and I said before, usually with lojack you find your car AFTER its torn to shreds.

Comment

The easiest way to keep your car from getting stolen is to drive the biggest piece of rustbucket crap that looks so horrible that nobody else would want it. I had a beater lovingly named "stealth bomber".... an 89 spray can satin black Buick skylark 2- door with a 3.0 V6. Dents, scratches, missing grille, no door locks, no muffler , it actually hauled butt. So ugly that theives would break into cars all around it but left the stealth bomber alone. The car was sold to a person where I work who's cousin (and his friends) were busted for breaking into cars and a few car thefts. Even they wouldn't touch it.

If a thief really wants the car, nothing is going to stop them. That is what a good insurance policy is for.

Comment

I happen to be a computer dork also and I dream about Bill Gates geting into the computer industry. Simple !
                    Ctrl>Alt>Del log on to your vehicle check your e-mail and your off cruisin! not to mention the on the fly tweaks you could make to your engine management section of the car. Norton AV could make intrusion a historical thing HAHAHAH!
                    Just kiddin but a big what if!!
                    Attached Files
                    Brian Diehl,USAF

1995 Z-28 Polo Green with chrome ZO6 rims K&N and Flowmaster

Comment

im sorry i meant car industry
                      Brian Diehl,USAF

1995 Z-28 Polo Green with chrome ZO6 rims K&N and Flowmaster

Comment

Got to post this again...I know you all have probably seen it, but it just came to mind!

For all of us who feel only the deepest love and affection for the way computers have enhanced our lives, read on. At a recent computer expo (COMDEX), Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry with the auto industry and stated, "If GM had kept up with technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25.00 cars that got 1,000 miles to the gallon".

In response to Bill's comments, General Motors issued a press release stating: If GM had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics:

1. For no reason whatsoever, your car would crash twice a day.

2. Every time they repainted the lines in the road, you would have to buy a new car.

3. Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason. You would have to pull over to the side of the road, close all of the windows, shut off the car, restart it, and reopen the windows before you could continue. For some reason you would simply accept this.

4. Occasionally, executing a maneuver such as a left turn would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would have to reinstall the engine.

5. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, was reliable, five times as fast and twice as easy to drive -- but would run on only five percent of the roads.

6. The oil, water temperature, and alternator warning lights would all be replaced by a single "This Car Has Performed An Illegal Operation" warning light.

7. The airbag system would ask "Are you sure?" before deploying.

8. Occasionally, for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key and grabbed hold of the radio antenna.

9. Every time a new car was introduced car buyers would have to learn how to drive all over again because of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.

10.You'd have to press the "Start" button to turn the engine off.

Please share this with your friends who love -- but sometimes hate -- their computer! Chris Schoenberger Principal Editor Thomson West

-- Flash

Flash - '97 Black WS/6, Intercooled Powerdyne 11# , LTCC Coil Per Cylinder Ignition, OPTI High Voltage Deleted, 160, Short Stick, BMR-STB, adjustable Shocks, PP+ w/scan, !CAGS, Flowmaster 3" cat-back... 43k miles as of Aug. 2006

**-** BOOST, it's no replacement for displacement, and there's definitely no replacement for having both!

Comment

Working...
                        X