What Size Cutout?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Size Cutout?

What diameter cutout would I need for my 96Z28? All exhaust is stock and I want to place it on the pipe(intermediate?) right before the rear axle. Also is this the best place for it? I would think so since I want the sound to come out pretty much at the back not directly under the car to reduce cabin noise a bit. Thanks in advance to the F-bod Gurus......Later

96 Z28 A4, K&N CAI, 3.42 gears, Exhaust Cut Out. Best ET 14.02 -R.I.P. 95 Formula-

on my 02 SS i have my cut out done right in front of the right rear tire. it sounds awesome! spent $50 for a the dump pipe and labor. beats spending $1k or so for a corsa or borla

Comment

I have mine right before the axle just as you say you want it. The problem is though, your axle might get caught on the cutout when you raise the car from the body (mine does). You want to get a cutout the size of the piping you will be cutting into. I for example got a 3" cut-out for my 3" cat back. If you have the stock exhaust, then you would want a 2.75" cut out (might be smaller, dont remember). The cars going to be LOUD, regardless of where you put it, so placement isnt really an issue unless youre considering clearance. Good luck!
      1996 Arctic White Z28, A4, K&N CAI, TByrne MAF ends, BBK Twin-52mm TB, TB Bypass, SLP 1 3/4" Shorties, Richmond 3.42's, Dynomax Bullet Muffler W/Turn Down, BMR Adj. Panhard, EIBACH Pro-Kit, AFS ZR1 Wheels W/17x11" out back!

Comment

Get one of these with your cutout and you can adjust the noise, excuse me, sound level

http://www.mccordcg.com/mpp/mpp.htm
        97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

How much gain would an F-body get from a stock exhaust system with this mod...

Also...would I get pulled over If I opened it up on the street?
          -Rico

Click here to visit my CarDomain page!

01 Camaro Convertable, A4, White, Audiobahn 12" subs and amp 800W/RMS,Xenon
          98 TA/WS6, M6, All options,stock with minor mods, stealth JL Audio-Sold
          98 Camaro, V6, A4, Silver, Xenon Body kit, white guages, MTX system, custom interior SOLD
          94 Camaro, 3.4L, M5, Quasar Blue, SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by Black97
            Get one of these with your cutout and you can adjust the noise, excuse me, sound level

http://www.mccordcg.com/mpp/mpp.htm

CamaroZ28 Thread on electric cutouts

Here is some qoutes from that thread on electric cutouts:
            ------------------------------------------------------
            ok im gonna shout this one out so i can save someone else the anger i and many others have gone thru...

DO NOT BUY A MCCORD POWEPLATE They are JUNK and WILL FAIL on you. Probably within the first 2 months and when they do DO NOT expect Keith McCord to help you out cause HE DOES NOT stand behind the pile of crap that he sells :thumbdown:

its been like 3 months for me and mine crapped out on me the motor like JUST DIED

i sent keith an email about it asking if there was anything he could do and he's like acting all shady about it turns out his great customer service in the begining isn't so great once he sell's you his POS product!! :thumbdown: I mean I didn't care if I had to pay to get it fixed, but this guy just DOES NOT want to stand behine his product :roll:

i wish like hell i would have gotten the QTEC cutout so i could still be rollin with an electric cutout!

just a heads up
            ----------------------
            Bob

99 Silver Z28 A4, T tops, ZR-1 wheels (SOLD)

Comment

Originally posted by RangerBob

DO NOT BUY A MCCORD POWEPLATE They are JUNK and WILL FAIL on you. Probably within the first 2 months and when they do DO NOT expect Keith McCord to help you out cause HE DOES NOT stand behind the pile of crap that he sells :thumbdown:

i wish like hell i would have gotten the QTEC cutout so i could still be rollin with an electric cutout!

just a heads up
              ----------------------
              Bob [/B]
              Thanks Bob

Saved the McCord link a while ago but never followed up on whether they are any good.

Here's the one for QTEC

Rene

http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/qtec.htm

97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

dont get a cut out

I would not recommend getting a cut out. My 96 T/A, my friends 95 Z28, and my other friends 96 T/A all have cutouts. and the interior noise is terrible. It raddles the whole car and it is just really annoying. If i were to ever sell my car i would not put a cut out on my next f-body.
                1996 Trans Am:T-tops,graphite leather,16" chrome T/A rims, Nitto's, Descreened MAF, Morosso CAI, hypertech, flowtech cut out, 1LE elbow, Silver BMR tubular SFC's, 160 thermo, limo tint, harwood ws6 hood, !side molding, Stage 2 trans.

Looking for a driver side window.

Comment

Thanks guys,

Eventually I was thinking of getting the electric cutout but for now I don't want to spend alot of money on it and I can add the electric later. Does anyone know for sure what size the stock piping is? American Z28 thinks it's 2.75" but I want to make sure before I buy one. I don't want to end up with the wrong size. Also those of you with cutouts did you notice any performance gains/losses over a stock exhaust or is it just louder. I'd like to get a little more performance but I think the sound will be worth it. Mine sounds wimpy with the stock exhaust Eventually I want a loudmouth but for now a cutout will do. Plus I can cap it up when my girlfriend is in the car, she seems to think any time you can hear the engine while accelerating you are driving too fast Funny thing is she really drives faster than I do most of the time but has a Mercury Tracer that you hardly hear the engine. Anywhooo thanks again for the help......Later

96 Z28 A4, K&N CAI, 3.42 gears, Exhaust Cut Out. Best ET 14.02 -R.I.P. 95 Formula-

Comment

Working...
                  X