Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IM Back!!!!! Just bought back my 91 RS Convertable!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IM Back!!!!! Just bought back my 91 RS Convertable!!!!

Hey everyone, After a long time without an F-Body (about 1-1/2 years) I am finally back!! Ive been driving a 99 Grand Prix GT for about 6 months. I added a few performance mods to it and put some nice 17" chrome wheels on it, but last week I realized that its pointless to try to make that car fast. Its FWD, Auto, and a V6. So, I ripped all of the aftermarket parts off and sold them. I then used that money to buy my old car back from my brother. Its a White 1991 RS Convertable, 305TBI/Auto, Edelbrock Headers, Flowmaster Cat-back, red interior (Ive already bought the parts to switch it to grey interor), just over 100K on the clock. My plan is to drive it around for a little while with the 305 in it and then eventually swap the engine and trans (Ive been looking at LS1/T-56 combos!!) My Grand Prix will be my daily driver and I will bring the RS out on the weekends.
    No F-Body right now

SWEET!!! I wanna hear more about the LS-1 T56 plan. That sounds AWSOME!

I was just reading a HRM article last night that featured a 3rd gen convert with a LS1 and T56. You should check it out!!

WELCOME BACK! (not that you ever left the board)

Comment

REALLY!!! I have got to read that article. I hope they have some info on there website... If not I guess I am going to the newstand!!!
      No F-Body right now

Comment

Can't remember when, but I think it was like 3 months ago when I saw it...you should have seen the swap. Beautiful...the LS1 looked right at home in the 3rd gen engine bay.

Remember reading it, said the swap was pretty straight forward...other than brackets and mounts the engine slipped right in.

I was really impressed...

Welcome back...glad to know there are a few 3rd Gens in the board.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
        Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
        B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
        Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
        Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

From memory....

The swap did involve notching the frame next to the passenger side motor mount(for the A/C compressor I believe). They also had to move the engine mounts back a little, relocate the brake line for the passenger tire and use a custom fabricated crossmember. The hole in the tunnel for the shifter had to be enlarged, also. It looks SWEET! And I bet it is a blast to drive, too.

I have the mag at home, if you need to know the month.

Comment

Re: IM Back!!!!! Just bought back my 91 RS Convertable!!!!

Originally posted by Mark B
            I ripped all of the aftermarket parts off and sold them. I then used that money to buy my old car back from my brother.

Glad to see you came to your sences. look at the $$ you just made...

Your pontiac is not worth a dime more modded. That money was wasted.

Now, that vert is worth something! Taking that money out of the pontiac mods and investing it in another valuable car was a good move. Enjoy it!

Comment

CHP did a great article on the swap. I could find the issue if you want. Another stumbling block they found was the throttle cable was too short. The article also showed that the COMPLETE rearend from the 4 gen(I think it was a 99ta) went right into place. That would be one of the coolest swaps of all time. If I had the money.......
              97 SS #C007
              Polo Green w/ tan leather A4
              SLP headers, Loudmouth, Koni SA, Spohn LCA, Spohn PHR, Spohn relo brackets, pro-kit, B&M Stage II Shift Kit, air foil, 160 therm, LT4 KM, BFG KDW

Comment

If you could find the article that would be GREAT!! I dont even know where to look to find old articles from magizenes. Also, I dont know which issues had this info in it! I found this link, but any other info would be great!!!

http://www.speartech.com/coproj-1991ls1.html
                No F-Body right now

Comment

Page 76 of December 2003 HRM. I'd scan it and email it to ya, but as of right now I am on my knees in an empty house typing, and everything I own is boxed up in the garage of my new house.

Remind me in a week or 2 if you still need it and I will see what I can do.

Comment

The CHP issue is November 2003. Check at www.chevyhiperformance.com to check if you can order back issues. The dude that did the swap I think owns a shop and sells the kits (I think). Ineed to read the article more gooder. Check out www.thirdgenresource.com GM performance also has a book that is a "guide" to LS1 swaps into cars that originally didnt have one. PN 88959384 called "LS1 Engine Install Guide" The article is good and highlights the areas of most concern but does not cover everything 100%. Best part is the engine and trans were installed as one and never came apart. Keep us updated.
                    97 SS #C007
                    Polo Green w/ tan leather A4
                    SLP headers, Loudmouth, Koni SA, Spohn LCA, Spohn PHR, Spohn relo brackets, pro-kit, B&M Stage II Shift Kit, air foil, 160 therm, LT4 KM, BFG KDW

Comment

Working...
                    X