Corvette C5 vs. ZO6 question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corvette C5 vs. ZO6 question

You guys probably encountered this question before.

What gives the ZO6 more boost (405hp) vs the standard C5 (350hp)? I know the ZO6 has an upgraded suspension and bigger tires. An Upgraded Exhaust? Different gearing? Reves higher? Supercharger? Thanks to anyone who answers.
    Mixedpuppy

1998 TA, mostly stock, SLP hood, ram air plastic intake, K&N Filter, Transgo Shift Kit, Kooks Stainless LT headers with Magna Flow Cats, Borla Exhaust (Medium plate setting), Kenny Brown SFCs, BMR Tower Strut Brace, 17" ROH RT Rims, 9.5 BFG KDWs, SLP Airlid, Smooth bore bellow, 85mm MAF. Nitrous to come. Action figure not included.

The ZO6 vette gets a LS6 motor.

The standard vette gets a LS1.

I'm not sure of the specific differences in engines, but I do know they are the same basic design, slightly different.

Comment

3 things

1. Ported heads
      2. Bigger Valves
      3. More money.

$ for $. You could buy a PJ Vette and make it faster than a Z06.

I want a C5 BAD! But cash limits me for another year or so.

96 TA Sold!
      87 TA Sold!
      80 Z28 Sold!
      74 Formula Sold!
      73 Z28 Sold!
      69 Camaro Not Sold!

Comment

Different intake manifold and gearing too.

Comment

The LS6 has:

Better cylinder heads, and valves and springs to go with it.

Higher redline thanks to a hotter cam than the LS1 (it redlines at 6500).

It has higher compression pistons -- 10.5:1 as opposed to the LS1's 10.1:1.

It has the LS6 intake, but so do 01+ LS1's.

The LS6 also has a slightly different block than the LS1.
          Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

The gearing in the transmission is also hotter... BUT, it still has a 3.42 in the rear, and with 18" tires, I don't know if the gearing gives it any advantage.
            Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Comment

For detailed info, go here. http://www.z06vette.com/01.php

The Z06 has many differences than the base coupe. When I first went thru this page I posted above, I was shocked at how much different there really is. The Z06 even has a balsa wood floor sandwiched between two pieces of metal. Check out the link. Also note that there were quite a few changed between 01 and 02. Check out the link at the top of that page for 02 changes.

On a personal opinion note: I've owned a lot of cars in my life, including a Z06 and a Viper GTS. I would say that my 02 Z06 is "Hands Down" the best car I have every owned. If you want more details, just PM me or post here.
              LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

Nice Info!

Thanx Performin Norman!

I never realized how much of a difference the ZO6 had vs the C5 and the differences in the LS6 Engines. I drool everytime I see a Z06 though.
                Mixedpuppy

1998 TA, mostly stock, SLP hood, ram air plastic intake, K&N Filter, Transgo Shift Kit, Kooks Stainless LT headers with Magna Flow Cats, Borla Exhaust (Medium plate setting), Kenny Brown SFCs, BMR Tower Strut Brace, 17" ROH RT Rims, 9.5 BFG KDWs, SLP Airlid, Smooth bore bellow, 85mm MAF. Nitrous to come. Action figure not included.

Comment

Originally posted by Performin Norman
                  The Z06 even has a balsa wood floor sandwiched between two pieces of metal.
                  Norm, if I'm not mistaken...the balsa wood floor was appliedto all C5 Vettes from day one.

I know there was a 385 ZO6 and a 405 ZO6 too...

Now is it Z "zero" 6 or Z "Ooo" 6? I know you say it Z "Ooo" 6...but how do you type it out?

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
                  Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
                  B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
                  Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
                  Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Originally posted by LimTeng99TransAm
                    Norm, if I'm not mistaken...the balsa wood floor was appliedto all C5 Vettes from day one.

I know there was a 385 ZO6 and a 405 ZO6 too...

Now is it Z "zero" 6 or Z "Ooo" 6? I know you say it Z "Ooo" 6...but how do you type it out?
                    The "385 HP" Z06 was the 2001 car -- the first year it was re-introduced. From 2002 on up, it had "405 HP". I put those numbers in quotes because we all know the advertised figures really mean jack...

And it may be said "Z oooo 6"... but it is actually a zero.

Comment

Working...
                    X