Corvette Rims

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corvette Rims

I have a 93 Trans AM and I saw those 98 Corvette rims on a black vette and fell in love. Would I need to do in any modifications to my Trans Am to stick those suckers on there, and where would be the cheapest place to get them besides off E-bay where I saw a few sets in between 600 and 1000 dollars.

Thanks

Did you run a search on this site for wheels, rims, ...?

There were many questions like that before and some answers.

Rene
    97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Aren't the 98 C5 wheels the ones with the fairly wide spokes? The data table in VETTE magazine shows these with the following info:

Front: 17x8.5 56mm offset (= approx 6.90" backspace)
      Rear: 18x9.5 61mm offset (= approx 7.60" backspace)

Compared to the stock 16x8 wheel, the 17x8.5 will put the inside edge of the wheel 0.30" deeper in the wheel well, and the outside edge will be about 0.20" further toward the outside edge of the fender well. The wheels/tires will not rub.

If you use the 18x9.5's in the back, the inside edge of the wheel will be about 1" deeper in the wheel well, and the outside edge will be about 1/2" further toward the outside of the fender well. Niether of these increases will cause any problems with the correct size tire - 285/35-18.

The bolt circle for the C5 and the 4th Gen F-Body are the same... 5 x 4.75" (120.65mm), so that is no problem. Where you will have a minor problem is the inside diameter of the hub bore on the rear wheels will not be large enough to clear the 4th Gen axle hub. GM made the rear hubs 0.03" larger in diameter on the early 4th Gens and you have to grind down the inside diameter of many wheels to make them fit over the hubs... not a lot, just a little.

That should answer your question ??
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Yeah, Fred's the Vette wheel expert. Do a search. You don't want the 97-99 Wagonwheels. The Y2K thinspokes are pobably what you are referring to. Ebay has the silver painted ones for $480. The Polished and Chromed ones are like $590.

ZMAN_Diehl has a set of Z06's for sale.

96 TA Sold!
        87 TA Sold!
        80 Z28 Sold!
        74 Formula Sold!
        73 Z28 Sold!
        69 Camaro Not Sold!

Comment

Yeah I actually just bought those $480 silver C5 rims off ebay. UPS tried to drop them off yesterday but I wasn't home. As soon as I get them I'll tell you what I think of em. I'm hoping they look good on my car.

I don't understand why they're only 8.5" though? On a 17" rim? Everything I've read on all the tire calculators have said that the tires for my car with 17" rims should be 275/40/17's... yet 8.5" rims is .5" less than the recommended 9" rim width listed for the tires. what kind of tires are put on stock corvettes up front on the 17"x8.5" rims?

Comment

97-04 Standard Vettes had 8.5's up front, the Z06's are 9.5. You can get Y2K C5 wheels in 9.5 but you will have to search pretty hard to find them. I have a link for a couple of companies but it is on my pc at work.

96 TA Sold!
            87 TA Sold!
            80 Z28 Sold!
            74 Formula Sold!
            73 Z28 Sold!
            69 Camaro Not Sold!

Comment

Working...
            X