Guys with 4.10s...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guys with 4.10s...

How many of you guys daily drive your cars? Do you do much freeway travel? How is the cruising ability effected -- including engine noise and fuel economy by going to the 4.10s? Just trying to get some ideas for the future, and I am trying to decide if 4.10s might be too aggressive for me... I already run LT headers with no cats, so engine noise is already pretty significant at 1800 RPMs... and I do lots of freeway travel so fuel economy is important too.

So it's between 3.73s and 4.10s

Thanks.
    Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

4:10's naturally aspirated with a 6 speed.......or.........
    3:73's with an automatic or with a power adder

Usually this is the general consensus for this question.
    96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
    11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

I have the 4.11s and at cruising speed[60-70 mph] it is about 2100-2300 RPM with the T56.

6th really pulls though.
      94 Z28/UltraZ Hood & Box/1 1/2 Drop/52mmTB & Bypass/160 Stat/Pulley/ Catback & pipe/Kirkey seats/5 point belts/WW Wing/Ford9"-4.11- Detroit locker-Strange axles/ZEKE'S Heads & LT4 HC/Stainless Headers & Y/1LE Panhard/BMR SFCs-STB-Relo Brackets-Tunnel Brace-Adj Tq arm- Sway bar- LCAs-PHB/ABARE RACING 4L60E/COAN 3200/Monster tach & light/DS Loop

19/09/04[M6]=12.392@113.518 / 1.802 60ft.

10/04/05[A4]=12.29@111.9 /1.652 60ft.

Comment

overall average..i get better mileage with 4:10's than i did with 3:42's. i can put it in 6th at 60mph...fith at 45.......

granted..it run the lt4 hot cam and some other stuff..but i get 26 to 28 open road....... thats not too bad, now is it?

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
        Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
        sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by N20LT4Bird
          4:10's naturally aspirated with a 6 speed.......or.........
          3:73's with an automatic or with a power adder

Usually this is the general consensus for this question.
          So since the plan is to eventually go with a supercharger, and a cam with a much higher redline, but stay with the 6-speed... you'd say go with 3.73s... ?

Ken -- you still get 26 to 28 mpg highway? Wow...
          Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Comment

When I run N/A, I have some RPM left over when I am running through the traps. When I hit the nitrous, I am running through the traps @ around 6500 RPM in 4th gear. I am running a 3:73; any steeper and I would have to shift again before I finished the 1/4.

I dont really understand why this is (maybe someone can chime in), but if your running a power adder, you might want the 3:73's. But, then again, if you go to a blower, you may need a 12 bolt out back (like I do).
            96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle

Comment

...any steeper and I would have to shift again before I finished the 1/4...
              Or go with a cam that allows for higher revs, right? This is what I am debating between... no matter which ratio I go with... I will be sure to go with a cam that won't force me to shift into 5th gear.

Comment

Yea, but you can only get so many RPM's out of a small block and still have the lower end grunt for the street.

Comment

most of the fast folks i know running boost or Nstuff get 3:73's with a six speed. the 4:10's are just too squirley.....

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay 02 TA ws6
                    So since the plan is to eventually go with a supercharger, and a cam with a much higher redline, but stay with the 6-speed... you'd say go with 3.73s... ?

Ken -- you still get 26 to 28 mpg highway? Wow...
                    yup..if i keep a feather foot...and cruise at about 72-75 mph..i get unreal mileage.....in 6th of course......

ive actually used 6th at 55mph on flat roads....

Comment

I dont really understand why this is (maybe someone can chime in), but if your running a power adder, you might want the 3:73's. But, then again, if you go to a blower, you may need a 12 bolt out back (like I do).
                      The Power adder ...

Oh .. sorry... Hi guys....!

Anyway, the power adder increases the torque so you don't need the extra torque multiplication from lower gears. In fact, with the power adder it's better to NOT have all that gear multiplication so the engine torque doesn't so easily overcome the traction available at the tires.

The extra torque from the power adder will allow the taller gear to then pull at a better RPM through the traps too.

Umm... I think ....

Gordon
                      PPC
                      www.provenperformanceconcepts.com

Gordon Arnold - '00 WS6 T/A - Sold

Comment

Working...
                      X