JET HOT LONG TUBES

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JET HOT LONG TUBES

I am looking for some headers for my 96 T/A. I am thinking about getting the Jet Hot Long Tubes and putting a SLP LM exhaust on. Does anybody know of what the horse power gains would be with these. Or any better headers for my car. Also, I have heard of something that I can put into my oil that will let me pass emissions with the long tubes. I live in Chicago and the emissions are strict about long tubes. Does anybody know anything about this.

1996 T/A 13.9 @ 100.2 mph. with 2.73 gears. not stock anymore
    1996 Trans Am:T-tops,graphite leather,16" chrome T/A rims, Nitto's, Descreened MAF, Morosso CAI, hypertech, flowtech cut out, 1LE elbow, Silver BMR tubular SFC's, 160 thermo, limo tint, harwood ws6 hood, !side molding, Stage 2 trans.

Looking for a driver side window.

Re: JET HOT LONG TUBES

Originally posted by purepwrta
    I have heard of something that I can put into my oil that will let me pass emissions with the long tubes.
    cough.. cough... BS! First of all, if you have emissions inspections you'll fail the visual test the instant the hood is opened. The only thing that might cause that to pass is one heck of a bribe. The additive you speak of is actually a fuel additive that helps cleanse the catalist on high mileage cars, it helps better the emissions on a tailpipe sniff test. Hooker long tubes are another alternative, they can be ordered with a ceramic thermal coating. I can vouch for their performance, I've done a few installs on friend's cars. Usually about a 20-25 HP gain on an LT1.

Comment

The Hooker long tubes are one of the better headers for an LT1 but Jet Hot's are even better. Hooker LT's are made of 18 gauge material where Jet Hot's are made of 16 gauge. The Jet Hot's also have thicker flanges which greatly helps to prevent flange warping and therefore exhaust leaks. They are otherwise identical in design and HP gains.

Comment

Don't get Jet Hot's for LS1 cars. They are supposed to be an exact copy of Hooker's LT's, but they aren't. Our club president has put two sets on two different cars now and has had to beat the hell out of both of them, 10 foot cheater bars, and all kinds of hell to get them on, whereas the Hookers just slide in. He won't even touch a set of Jet Hot's now.

Maybe they got the LT1's right, but they sure didn't on the LS1's
        "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

you might want to consider mac full length headers with their 3' y-pipe they are very prompted around here at the speedshops and they throw down i belive either 25 or 35hp at the rear wheels proven. they run 467 for the combo
          1994 firebird formula

no need to talk. i can walk the walk.

Comment

i have been told headers are a bitch on the LT1 just look you have almost no room to mess around has anyone done it, do youy have to pull the motor
            1994 firebird formula

no need to talk. i can walk the walk.

Comment

You don't have to pull the motor, but you do have to have a lot of patience, especially on the passenger side. The hardest part is removing the factory exhaust manifolds, after that the headers aren't too bad actually going on.

Comment

I've discovered a few things when doing long tubes. There are production tolerences from the factory that vary from car to car. When putting in the passenger side, pray that it is tough. If it goes in too easy, the driver's side is going to be a bear, necessitating removing a bolt or two and loosening others in the K-member and using a pry bar. Ideally, the passenger side should go in by unbolting the motor mount and jacking up the motor. Like I said before, pray it is still a tight fit. Once they are in place, lower the motor and replace the mount bolt. Now you do the driver's side. If all goes will, yes it's a tight fit but very rewarding when done.

Also, Hookers have beefy flanges, they aren't going to warp. If anything, the biggest problem with long tubes are the aftermarket Y pipes. Often times a custom one fits much better than the off the shelf stuff.

Comment

The Hooker Super Comp LT's flanges are farly thick but not enough. If you have sustained high EGT's which is very easy with nitrous or boost, I have seen my fair share of local guys warp their Hooker's. They either switched to the Jet Hot's or the Dynatech steps and have been happy since. Also use header locking bolts.

Comment

Working...
                  X