Donate CPU cycles to beat the He** out of Cancer...w/n

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donate CPU cycles to beat the He** out of Cancer...w/n

Found this over at CamaroZ28.com. Read the description below. I've lost a number of family members to cancer. If you don't mind another app running I'd ask you to give it a try. Doesn't slow my system down that I can see and I'm always ready to help out with the battle against cancer. Much better cause than that SETI thing if you know what I mean.

CamaroZ28.com has a team registered on the member site.

QUOTE:

Okay guys, this has been posted before and ran for quite sometime as a sticky. Id like to see it run for another while, so can someone make me a sticky? Im just going to copy and post from the old thread.

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Stolen quote from Threxx

What I would think would be really cool would be if we could officially organized a CZ28.com team that would work on one of the many distributed processing projects out there (SETI, UD, etc)

For those that haven't heard of this: scientists have a good idea what they are looking for when it comes to the cure for cancer, but there are some many calculations that need to be made to find the cure that even their super computers will take tens of years to find the cure. So with distributed processing, you are telling your machine to take its spare CPU cycles and process the cure for cancern with them instead of essentially wasting them for nothing.

I'm a very avid and anal person about my computer's performance, and especially hate CPU hogs (programs that demand CPU power and won't give it up for other apps). I don't know about other distributed projects, but United Devices' cure for cancer project's plug-in is absolutely perfect about not taking any of your computer's performance away from you... it only takes what your computer is literally throwing away. And seriously.. 98% of the time, most people's computers only use about 1-5% of their CPU cycles.

So what a lot of UBBs and other online communities have started to do is form teams that compete with other distributed computing project teams. They even award prizes- which the amount of processing power your team contributes will directly effect your odds.

I seriously think this would be a great way for CZ28.com to contribute to a very worthy cause in the community.

I've already been doing it for 2+ years now with all my home computers and several of the computers here at work as well.

The cure for cancer program is especially nice- it hides in your system tray and only takes what would otherwise be wasted in terms of CPU cycles. If you are curious you can even watch a very pretty (and I'm sure very technical if I had any clue what it was doing) diagram showing the particular strand of DNA, atoms, and electrons that your computer is calculating at that moment.

What do ya' say Jason? If you endorsed this, maybe put a blurb on the news page, and maybe even put a sticky post about it in the lounge, we could have a record-setting team going on here... and probably would do more good for the world than counting keystrokes... I can't really afford to donate much of my money to such causes- so I figure this is the least of ways I can give back to the world of which I was so fortunate to have been born into.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And the links

quote:

Anyone interested in beating the hell out of cancer, go here to Download the program:
    http://www.grid.org/download/gold/download.htm

Then go here to join Team CamaroZ28.Com:
    http://www.grid.org/services/teams/...C9-88E719169779

Again, all of you computer nuts or people with computers that are already slow... I stress that this software will have 100% absolutely no ill effects on your computer. I've tested my computers extensively with benchmark software with the program running and without it running, there was literally no difference whatsoever in how it performed.
    Joe K.
    '11 BMW 328i
    '10 Matrix S AWD
    Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

That's what I said the other day. http://www.f-body.com/forum/showthre...&threadid=2880 I also stated it on this board before the format changed a while back. I have 82,557 hours on SETI. My wife runs the UD agent on hers and 2 kids computers. I don't like the UD agent. It sometimes will change from "run only in screen saver only" to "run all the time" by it self. I'm hoping the cancer research will be available on BOINIC when it comes out.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Working...
    X