5th gen camaro

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5th gen camaro

This is a comment on the appearence poll featured on the front page of this website.

Judging by the overwhelming votes the 4th generation's design is getting as the best looking f-bods, why is there an interest to make the 5th gen look like the first? Only 17% of folks prefer the 1st gen cars.

I would think it should look more like the 4th gen.

I like what they did with the C6. It looks somewhat close to the C5, yet is still it's own car. It is identifiable as a Vette.

I think this just goes to show the retro idea will not fly.

let's see how the Mustang run...that's really reaching back into the past...too far in my books.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
    Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
    B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
    Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
    Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

The C6 is not intended to look like the C5, it is inherent due to the evolution of the vehicle. Matter of fact, the C6 has some very distinct ideas from past vettes, the crosswork in the front grille, the front fenders being more pronounced, the side vents running farther through the whole side of the car, etc. Granted, it is not the kind of 'retro' that the Mustang went through, but it has looks from the past.

Who knows where the Camaro will go, if at all. I believe the first gen bodystyle has a much more aggressive look to it than any of the others, and wouldn't mind seeing it go back to something like that...but that is just my opinion.

If you want something that looks like a 4th gen...just go buy one, they are all over the place. 1st gen looks are much harder to find, and usually much more expensive (if it looks good).

Ruz

Comment

Well, the first gen was a beutiful car. Kris Hortons 5th gen rendition in Popular Hot Rodding a few months ago helped make the case. It's, by far, the most popular 5th gen rendering out there.

That said, from the boards I've read, a lot of people would rather have an evolutionary design as opposed to retro. My opinion is that what a new design needs is cues to connect it to it's past and a sillhouette that screams Camaro. Past that everything else is up in the air, and that leaves a lot of room to work with. Going retro would be a dead end design wise and with the 2005 Mustang coming out first it would appear to be a "me too" approach.

Retro, if used at all, should be reserved for niche vehicles.
        Joe K.
        '11 BMW 328i
        '10 Matrix S AWD
        Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

I voted for the 4th gen also.. but in fairness.. this board is DEFINATELY 4th gen biased.. it has always been posted by owners of primarily 4th generation Camaros and Firebirds. I think if we were on a 3rd gen board or 1st gen board.. the results would be different.

I'm just excited to see what a new Camaro/Firebird lineup will be. We are getting every hint in the world that this is just a hiatus, and I believe we will see a new car by 2007. My personal opinion. That would the 40th Anniversary.. what better time to bring it back.

Comment

Right now Bob Lutz is still trying to work out the kinks he inherited at GM. Based on his actions to date, I think he is going to improve the lines that we like but it takes time. I like the GTO as a concept, maybe not the styling but I haven't seen one yet. I think the retro thing will be neat, I just hope they don't try to ride on that platform for 5 -7 years. It would realy be boring by then.

All steps in the right direction but we'll see. I will have bought a new car before the Camaro comes out anyway. Probably a C5 or C6.

96 TA Sold!
            87 TA Sold!
            80 Z28 Sold!
            74 Formula Sold!
            73 Z28 Sold!
            69 Camaro Not Sold!

Comment

You know, I can't beleive that the 4th Gen camaro got the best ratings on the title page, its even worse that it was almost unanimous. The Mustang is bringing back the old 66/65 look while still giving it a modern look, and ever since Mustang was created, Chevy has been competing with it. copying its changes, or vice versa. Anyway, I think some of the coolest looking cars were born in the late sixties... not modern.
              Seann
              82 camaro x2:
              82 z28 w/ 305 (for now) 4 speed saginaw
              82 berrlinetta with 350 .060 over...3 speed auto

The Z28 is back under the knife, after the transmission, now its the entire engine....will post pics when all finished.

Comment

First gen Camaros are my favorite F-bodys of all time, 4th F-bodys are second on my list. How ever I dont like retro, I think they should just improve on the current F-Body. I'm the type of person that would rather see a car slowly evolve.
                I dont see the need to completly redesign the exterior of a car every 5 years.

If GM put a better motor and suspension in the current ws6 skin and only slightly modified the looks every couple of years it would be fine by me.

Some times I think about how sweet it would be if the were still making the Impala SS and it still looked exactly the same. Only by now it would atleast have
                an Ls1 and 6speed.

1994 Firebird Formula 138,000 Completly Stock

1995 Caprice 9c1 61,000
                2001 Intrigue GL

Comment

Working...
                X