301 turbo info?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 301 turbo info?

I have a 1980 turbo Trans Am . i know i can upgrade the turbo. but does anyone know what kinda i can put on my car by using the same manifolds?
    thanks John

The problem is not the turbo. The heads are a serious restriction. upgrading the turbo will have little effect if the engine can't accept the airflow. Have the heads ported and the intake port matched to the heads. You'll see a good increase in power.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
      The problem is not the turbo. The heads are a serious restriction. upgrading the turbo will have little effect if the engine can't accept the airflow. Have the heads ported and the intake port matched to the heads. You'll see a good increase in power.
      Yup..... thats a tough motor to make power with. Who would have thought though..... A V8 with a turbo from the factory.
      96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
      11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

There was a thread about the 301 turbo engine on this forum not long ago.

The general opinion was the best modification for that engine is a wooden crate and some plastic wrap. IE.. remove it, and replace it with a 400 or a 455. The 301 Turbo was the worst V8 engine ever made, by anyone.

Here is the link...
        http://www.f-body.com/forum/showthre...&threadid=2760

Comment

i wanna just sell the whole motor now

Comment

i wouldn't do that....... If you are intent on a transplant, put it on a palate and save it. At a later date, an original motor in that car is going to be worth mucho more. Without headwork, it's not a good performer but believe me, with worked heads it WILL get up and go pretty well. All it needs is a little larger valve and some port work to really wake it up. (Been there with a few of the old 301s)

Comment

Originally posted by transamstealth
              i wanna just sell the whole motor now
              Depending on how original the car is, and it's potential collector value I'd keep the original motor in a crate.

I feel your pain, though.. those cars are really slow. I've driven two of them. My Uncle has one with 32K on it stored in a barn under a cover, and my cousin had one, but was so disapointed with it he sold it. Both have T-tops.

Both are white, pace cars. Pretty to look at, but no power. Too bad, they could had made a sweet car if only they put a good motor in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                i wouldn't do that....... If you are intent on a transplant, put it on a palate and save it. At a later date, an original motor in that car is going to be worth mucho more. Without headwork, it's not a good performer but believe me, with worked heads it WILL get up and go pretty well. All it needs is a little larger valve and some port work to really wake it up. (Been there with a few of the old 301s)
                That is all true, Joe... But the bottom ends on them are weak, oiling is poor also, and they spin bearings easily. Messing with that motor is just trouble, IMO.

Comment

well my heads are ported and polished. soo i hope that helps.

Comment

i would build a low compression, balanced 327. with a garret T3-T04 turboit will give you a reliable 8-10 psi (depending on the setup) it will sound and look stock for the most part, but it will have tons of power. get some good heads like AFR's and a nice matching cam
                    2000 WS6 T/A M6. Monster stage 3 clutch, flowmaster cat back, 4.10's, SLP lid, Hurst shifter.
                    1996 Mustang GT 5 speed STOCK DD
                    past rides:
                    1996 Mustang GTS bright tangerine orange
                    2003 Mach 1 azure blue drag car (10.90@118 record holder for fastest N/A mach)
                    1969 Mach 1 house of colors candy apple red393 stroker 100 shot (10.829@125 in street trim)
                    2003 Mach 1 Torched red FRPP aluminator/vortech 666RWHP
                    2008 Mustang GT JDM stroker long block, Saleen 2.3 twin screw
                    1980 Mustang L 13.7: 418 stroker
                    1994 Z28 A4 rebuilt from wreck
                    1994 Z28 A4 totaled

Comment

Originally posted by tabahr
                      That is all true, Joe... But the bottom ends on them are weak, oiling is poor also, and they spin bearings easily. Messing with that motor is just trouble, IMO.
                      Don't remind me...... after the 2nd rebuild I pulled mine and dropped in a nitroused 455..... and a transmission........ and a rear end....... and so on.

Seriously, if you are intent on building a turbo motor, you better find somone who specializes in a turbo specific shortblock. If you build a typical small block chevy and slap a turbo on it, it's going to come apart. Lately I've wanted to find another 80 pace car, pull the motor and drop in a turbo 3.8 from an 89 Turbo T/A or Grand National. They can make wicked power , take alot of abuse, and last for a considerable amount of time if well tuned and maintained.

Comment

well im trying to get in contact with the guys from horsepowerfreaks.com. i want to see what turbo they can slap on my car that wont blow my motor.

Comment

I would be careful about exceeding the 300 HP threshold. I was able to get them to live at that level, but not past that.

Comment

Hey man don't do anything without checking this out. I recently read an article in HPP of a guy who has a 301 and he's runnig ten's with it. The 301 is buildable it's just hard to find parts. Go to http://publish.uwo.ca/~agrehorn/301shrine.html. It's called a 301 Turbo Shrine

Comment

Originally posted by 81turboman
                              Hey man don't do anything without checking this out. I recently read an article in HPP of a guy who has a 301 and he's runnig ten's with it. The 301 is buildable it's just hard to find parts. Go to http://publish.uwo.ca/~agrehorn/301shrine.html. It's called a 301 Turbo Shrine

That statement should read: $$$$$$$$

For which only the most committed will spend, especially considering that another motor can be built that will last, will have more easily obtained parts, all for less money. And it would have more cubes too.

Comment

Working...
                              X