Leaky Intake Manifold

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaky Intake Manifold

I notice that if I let my car idle or drive it even semi hard, either a nasty burnig oil/rubber smell and smoke will enter my car either through the vents or under my dash.

I have all the symtoms of the leaky intake manifold, oil covering my the under side of tranny and motor, rough idle and foul smell.

I was even told by a gm mechanic that it was the problem. The one thing I find strange is my oil always seems at or above the operating range on the dip stick.

My other question is can I still use There Technical Service Bulletin (#476111) to have the problem fixed? The dealer quoted me about $380 to fix it.

1994 Firebird Formula 138,000 Completly Stock

1995 Caprice 9c1 61,000
    2001 Intrigue GL

I don't think you can get an oil leak on a 10 yr old car fixed for free no matter how many tech bulletins there are on it. As for the oil level, a little oil goes a long way. Properly applied, a couple teaspoons of oil can cover the whole underside of the car, so, unless the oil is pouring out, it doesn't seem like the level is going down all that much.

I once knew a girl who ran up a $300 CC bill just for the oil in her car over a 3 month period. It was leaking out all over the place and she couldn't afford to fix it, so she poured in 3 quarts a day. Now THATS an oil leak. I always figured her for stupid x10^6 ever since that happenned. I can't remember what eventually became of the car...

Comment

Re: Leaky Intake Manifold

Originally posted by gimp19
      I notice that if I let my car idle or drive it even semi hard, either a nasty burnig oil/rubber smell and smoke will enter my car either through the vents or under my dash.

I have all the symtoms of the leaky intake manifold, oil covering my the under side of tranny and motor, rough idle and foul smell.

I was even told by a gm mechanic that it was the problem. The one thing I find strange is my oil always seems at or above the operating range on the dip stick.

My other question is can I still use There Technical Service Bulletin (#476111) to have the problem fixed? The dealer quoted me about $380 to fix it.
      they wont fix it for free after all this time has gone by.

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/4013/ol.html

its a prob alright, boy dont i know it.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
      Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
      sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

it won't get any better.......Ken's fix worked for me....I experienced 2 failures when the car was in the low 20k range....2nd time around, I followed Ken's recommendation

good luck!
        DWS
        Silver M6 '95 Formula-sold to MCKNBRD

Zaino all the way!!

'03 Z06....Donaldson Blackwing, CAGS, '04 Z06 shocks, ceramic pads

Comment

Thanks for the link, looks like a fairly common problem. Do you think it would be better to have a garage fix it or should I attempt it myself. I have never done any thing that involved taking the intake manifold off and dont want to try fixing it if there is a chance I'll jut make it worse.

Also were you having the same problem with the smell and smoke entering your car? Thats the part that bothers me the most.

Thanks again

1995 Caprice 9c1 61,000
          2001 Intrigue GL

Comment

Yep, it's a common problem with LT1's.......I would recommend that a top quality shop (ie., one that is familar with LT1's) or a dealer ( if you have a good one in your area) do the work.....

guess over the years that I have just gotten too lazy

never had the problem with the smoke and smell......I always do a visual under my cars and spotted the leak early on
            DWS
            Silver M6 '95 Formula-sold to MCKNBRD

Zaino all the way!!

'03 Z06....Donaldson Blackwing, CAGS, '04 Z06 shocks, ceramic pads

Comment

If I replace the oil filler cap with a breather do I have to do anything to the PCV system or can I leave it alone.

1995 Caprice 9c1 61,000
              2001 Intrigue GL

Comment

Originally posted by gimp19
                If I replace the oil filler cap with a breather do I have to do anything to the PCV system or can I leave it alone.
                nothing. not one thing broh.

my fix has worked for alot of lt1's man...make sure they follow it...especially the part about not starting the motor for 24hrs. i know all the stuff sound finiky...but that damn sealant is finiky......

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Working...
                X