Wiring in power windows?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring in power windows?

Hey guys, ive been installing power windows and locks from a 96 z28 into my moms 94 v6 camaro, its been REALLY fun, considering every thing is riveted in! Well, the regulators were, had to drill them out, and no place around here carry's anything bigger than a 3/16" rivet, so i had to pick up some 1/4" bolts, nuts, washers, etc, and try to get them in there. Talk about a pita! But i did manage to get teh drivers side lock in there, and 3 of the 4 bolts to the power window regulator, need to move the window to get to the 4th, so that means i need to run some wires.

Ive got teh ENTIRE harness with EVERY plug on it from door to door. Even has the little boots that go between the door and the frame. My problem is, how do i access the cars wiring. Under the drivers side, there is a plastic panel covering alot of stuff up, but i cant get it out. Other than that, do i need to remove the dashboard, to get access to all the underdash plugs and such. If so, how hard is it, whats involved. Any help is appreciated, i searched and found NOTHING.

The panel you are talking about is actually held in by the hush panel below the steering column. I believe it is two 9/32 (aka 7mm) screws at the bottom of the panel. Take that out and the panel at the bottom should pop out.

You are in for fun when you get in there. Putting factory stuff in when it didn't come in it is a chore. Not to mention you are running factory wires. Ouch. I think I would have gone to a local custom stereo shop and asked about aftermarket power windows and door locks. It won't look factory, but it saves a lot of money and time. But good luck to you anyway.
    "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

maybe time, btu not money, i got all this for alot cheaper than just your basic universal power window kit. I got teh switches and all. But thanx for the info, ill give it a try.

Im also used to workign on hondas, there a little easier for me, more open, i can pull my dashboard in abotu 15 minutes. The camaro is so, well, snug, tight fit, and everything is hidden, i dont think they expected anyone to work on them, lol. ANd why would they rivit in the regualtors, aare they the everlasting ones that never need replacing or something, i mean come on. lol. Getting nuts and botls in there is such a pain. But i managed.

Comment

No, the power windows aren't considered lifetime by any means. There are a lot of people who have had to replace theirs. The screw-up is that GM put the car together then put the skin on the outside of the door, so the power windows and all that mess were actually installed while the car had no visible body (in other words, from outside of the car). That's why it's so hard.

And I'm with you on the hard to work on part. I think GM said "OK, we have 30,000 LT1 motors, you guys drop some playdoh on this motor and make a car out of it. Don't worry, nobody will have to work on it, and if they do, we can rape them at the dealer and make even more money."
        "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

Wow, im suprised im actually hearing that out of some ones elses mouth other than import guys. I myself am an import guy, and i tell you what, its been alot easier for me to work on than the camaro. Well, so far just the doors, i havent done anything else to the camaro that compares with what ive done to the crx.

Comment

Working...
          X