BMR, HOTCHKIS or SPOHN

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BMR, HOTCHKIS or SPOHN

I recently talked to reps at BMR and Hotchkis r/t my car (98 T/A, SLP ram air hood with induction, Thrush CVX exhaust, engine reprogrammed +26HP otherwise mainly stock).

The Hotchkis guy recommended Subframe Connectors $215, Trailing Arms $254 and Panhard Bar $99. These may be cheaper at some of their dealers.

The BMR guy recommended Subframe Connectors and Tower brace strut at least. He said that trailing arms weren't really necessary since my rear isn't hopping and I'm not taking it to the track. One thing I do like is the BMR prices.

I haven't talked the Spohn rep yet. I'm taking your guys advice from the "Trans Am Advice" thread and I'm in the planning stages of what I want to do.

So if you were in my shoes and looking at choices with the different companies who would you choose and why? Also how much would be reasonable for labor on installation? Thanx
    Mixedpuppy

1998 TA, mostly stock, SLP hood, ram air plastic intake, K&N Filter, Transgo Shift Kit, Kooks Stainless LT headers with Magna Flow Cats, Borla Exhaust (Medium plate setting), Kenny Brown SFCs, BMR Tower Strut Brace, 17" ROH RT Rims, 9.5 BFG KDWs, SLP Airlid, Smooth bore bellow, 85mm MAF. Nitrous to come. Action figure not included.

In my case, I bought my tower brace from Hotchkis. It is a 3 piece so that just the center can be removed for underhood work instead of having to remove the whole thing. My double adjustable panhard rod and tubular rear control arms are BMR. The quality of both is outstanding. There are guys that have Spohn and vouch for that as well. Don't be afraid to mix and match according to what you like. BMR's prices are the best and their quality is great so don't be afraid of their stuff just because of price. Then you can get more stuff for the same money. IMHO, control arms, panhard rod, relocation brackets and torque arm make a huge difference in the manners of the car. As far as installation, the tower brace you can most likely do yourself in 15 minutes. The lower control arms, if you can put it on ramps, maybe 45 minutes. They are very simple so if you don't want to do it yourself it would be cheap. Subframe connectors can be bolt on others need welding but they really help the chassis work and cut down on rattles.

Plus, the Hotchkis has other functions too......

Comment

You may want to consider some lightweight fully adjustable billet aluminum parts like these, below.

5 lbs for each LCA with all hardware & 8 lbs for the Panhard.

The rod ends are teflon lined so NO rattles.

Thanks,
      Gordon
      PPC

Gordon Arnold - '00 WS6 T/A - Sold

Comment

I have never used or seen the Hotchkis or Spohn stuff, but I hear its good.

I have BMR pieces on both my cars, and I have been very pleased with them!

I have the strut tower braces, and Rear lower control arms on both my cars, and I also have the relocation brackets on my Formula because it is lowered. All the parts are outstanding quality, and you can't beat the price.
        99 TA "RBLUTA" - NBM, M6, Whisper Lid, SLP Fan Switch, 160* Thermo, SLP LM, BMR STB & LCA's.

***SOLD*** It will be missed!!
        93 Formula "FRMLAV8" -383 Stroker

Comment

Generally partial to Spohn..... if you haven't seen the Spohn stuff, see pic below....

- Adjustable LCA's
          - LCA relocation brackets
          - Torque arm
          - Drag style rear sway bar.

I like the Spohn parts because of the extreme quality... Steve Spohn is a certified welder, and he and his dad make whatever he sells with his name on it.

The adjustable PHR in that pic is from "Just Suspension". My shock tower brace is the "4-point" version from LG Motorsports (7 years, 800HP, and the windshield is still in one piece )

SFC's are custom, but just simple chrome moly tubes connecting the front and rear subframes.

As far as the BMR stuff, also check the prices at Addco for pricing.... I think that's where it all comes from, and I think Addco can now sell the BMR designs.

I think the LCA's provide a good upgrade even on a relatively stock, street dirven car.... just beefing the bushings up with poly urethane keeps everything a lot more solid and stable. I wouldn't pay the Hotchkis price, when you can get excellent tubulars from Spohn or BMR for 1/2 the cost.

I also never liked the bolted connections in the Hotchkis STB design, figuing it allows a "pinned" flexible connection where the bolt goes through each tower bracket. But a friend of mine used the Hotchkis on his 30th SS convertible, running it into the low 9's in the 1/4-mile with the Hotchkis STB, so it has to be good.
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I love this site. Thanks for the advice guys. Ever come around Killeen, Texas or Austin look me up (254) 554-8489 or maybe I'll look you guys up in Ohio when I visit family.
            Mixedpuppy

1998 TA, mostly stock, SLP hood, ram air plastic intake, K&N Filter, Transgo Shift Kit, Kooks Stainless LT headers with Magna Flow Cats, Borla Exhaust (Medium plate setting), Kenny Brown SFCs, BMR Tower Strut Brace, 17" ROH RT Rims, 9.5 BFG KDWs, SLP Airlid, Smooth bore bellow, 85mm MAF. Nitrous to come. Action figure not included.

Comment

Working...
            X