Fender repair

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender repair

Does anybody know what kind of plastic is used on the Trans Am fenders, and if there is any compatible repair agent to mend a broken fender. Just like a 3 inch section.

Any info is greatly appreciated, because Im not about to pay 2000 grand to fix 3 inch tear in the fender, a scuffed up and bent hadlight cover, and whole lot of chipped paint off the front spoiler.

I have a '93 that I took EVERYTHING apart on. (check it out at http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...hreadid=469009 , at the end of the pics). Anyways, my fenders were really nothing more than fairly thin plastic and I IIRC they had some fiberglass in the rear fenders. What fender is it?
    my car:
    '86 Caprice Classic. Soon to have a 350 crate motor. Shooting for 300rwhp.

the project:
    check the www for pics, but a '36 Chevy Master Sedan, MII front end, Jaguar IRS, '93 LT1 powerplant with plans for 350rwhp, and many many other goodies

Comment

Fenders are reinforced reaction injection molded (RRIM) urethane. Any automotive paint supply store should be able to tell you what is to be used.
      Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Re: Fender repair

Originally posted by mmcgehee9989
        Does anybody know what kind of plastic is used on the Trans Am fenders, and if there is any compatible repair agent to mend a broken fender. Just like a 3 inch section.

Any info is greatly appreciated, because Im not about to pay 2000 grand to fix 3 inch tear in the fender, a scuffed up and bent hadlight cover, and whole lot of chipped paint off the front spoiler.
        $2,000.00 to fix a bumper? You can go on ebay and buy them used for under $150.00 and have your local body shop paint it for under $200.00. DONT DO IT!!
        Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

Fender Repair

It is the front passenger side fender

Comment

Buy a Bra. Everyone else does.

96 TA Sold!
            87 TA Sold!
            80 Z28 Sold!
            74 Formula Sold!
            73 Z28 Sold!
            69 Camaro Not Sold!

Comment

I'm in the same boat as you, I hit a deer and put a 2X1" hole in my front fender. I still have the piece that fell out and when warm weather comes I'm gonna see if I can glue it back on from the inside. Then try to sand the edges down on the outside.

1994 Firebird Formula 138,000 Completly Stock

1995 Caprice 9c1 61,000
              2001 Intrigue GL

Comment

Originally posted by gimp19
                I'm in the same boat as you, I hit a deer and put a 2X1" hole in my front fender. I still have the piece that fell out and when warm weather comes I'm gonna see if I can glue it back on from the inside. Then try to sand the edges down on the outside.
                I noticed on my T/A that the panel below the passenger door had a long crack at the bottom. I removed it and applied 2 component epoxy and fiber glass bandages from the inside to hold it all together. After it hardened it was solid like a rock.

I checked with some body shops and they will fill the remaining cracks on the outside and then paint it. Should work for your hole too.
                97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Originally posted by Black97
                  I noticed on my T/A that the panel below the passenger door had a long crack at the bottom. I removed it and applied 2 component epoxy and fiber glass bandages from the inside to hold it all together. After it hardened it was solid like a rock.

I checked with some body shops and they will fill the remaining cracks on the outside and then paint it. Should work for your hole too.
                  Yep, just did the Camaro the same way. Most times those cracks are from people incorrectly positioning a jack when lifting the car. If you place the jack outboard of the "do not jack here" tag, the load of the car is put on the bottom of the fender. The telltale signs are cracks and misaligned in lower portions of the front fender, just ahead of the door. The fiberglass worked well on that car as well. I even had to fabricate a new mounting tab on the fender and the fiberglass worked like a charm as I could form a 90º angle with it.

Comment

Working...
                  X