OK Im not that smart

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK Im not that smart

My car has been sitting around for a while because it is sleeping for the winter. I have been good and starting it and taking it around the block and getting all the fluid up to temp. Well there has been a bit of snow for 5 weeks that just melted and I wanted to go out for a rip. It was not started in that time(told you Im not smart) and I went to go open it up and the keyless entry didnt work. Battery dead. I went and couldnt find my spare key. REALLY not smart. I have to go to the dealer and get a new key made. My question is, do I have to get the alarm reset? And what exactlly happens when you get the alarm reset? Not quite sure. On top of that I have a Viper aftermarket alarm. I never use the factory alarm only the Viper. Can the dealer do this? Sorry for the long post, Im just not that smart.
    97 SS #C007
    Polo Green w/ tan leather A4
    SLP headers, Loudmouth, Koni SA, Spohn LCA, Spohn PHR, Spohn relo brackets, pro-kit, B&M Stage II Shift Kit, air foil, 160 therm, LT4 KM, BFG KDW

I have mine in storage since Sept. I haven't started it either since I removed the battery to avoid it being drained.

So I don't know for sure but I think when you have a key with the chip in it you shouldn't have a problem.

On some of the cars I owned you needed to lock and unlock the door with the key, otherwise the car woudln't start once the battery was dead or removed.
    97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Shouldn't be a big deal. I've had my battery go out before and I didn't have to reprogram the fob. If it seems not to be working you can hold down the Lock & Unlock buttons together for maybe 15 seconds. It should reaquire the code and let you know by locking and unlocking the doors.

If this doesn't work then check the owner's manual about reprogramming the key fob. It'll have instructions.
      Joe K.
      '11 BMW 328i
      '10 Matrix S AWD
      Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

I try both suggestions when I get my key. I dont have an owners manual as Im the 3rd owner. I am heading to the dealer on Saturday and I will check with them if there is something that I should do. Thanks guys.
        97 SS #C007
        SLP headers, Loudmouth, Koni SA, Spohn LCA, Spohn PHR, Spohn relo brackets, pro-kit, B&M Stage II Shift Kit, air foil, 160 therm, LT4 KM, BFG KDW

Comment

Take the VIN # and your title with you. They can cut you a set of keys from that. $40.

The door key costs $2 and the ignition costs $28. At least get a spare door key.

Also, you can get a good battery charger from Sears for like $30.

96 TA Sold!
          87 TA Sold!
          80 Z28 Sold!
          74 Formula Sold!
          73 Z28 Sold!
          69 Camaro Not Sold!

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernSS
            I try both suggestions when I get my key. I dont have an owners manual as Im the 3rd owner. I am heading to the dealer on Saturday and I will check with them if there is something that I should do. Thanks guys.
            Who here has the link to the owner's manuals online???

I'm at work and it's on my home computer. If it's not posted by the time I get back tonight I'll put it on this thread.
            Joe K.
            '11 BMW 328i
            '10 Matrix S AWD
            Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Originally posted by Joe K. 96 Zeee!!
              Who here has the link to the owner's manuals online???

I'm at work and it's on my home computer. If it's not posted by the time I get back tonight I'll put it on this thread.

That would be an awesome link, if you could dig that up I would really appreciate it.
              97 SS #C007

Comment

http://shbox.com/pdf/manuals.html
                97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

The link is not working for me. I go to try the 97 manual and it doesnt work. I really dont know much about computers so it is prob something I am doing.
                  97 SS #C007

Comment

You need adobe acrobat reader to open the files.

Here's a link for download if you don't have it.

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html
                    Joe K.
                    '11 BMW 328i
                    '10 Matrix S AWD

Comment

Working...
                    X