Starting Problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting Problems

I have yet another problem with my car. I own a 91 Camaro and am having some starting problems. For the past two days when I have tried to start the car I here a loud whirring noise (sounds like the starter gear is turning but not turning the flywheel). This happens when it is cold outside and the engine is not warm. Someone tried to start my car one time and only heard a clicking noise and it wouldn't start then either but it hasn't done it since. But if I drive the car, park it, and come back when the engine is still warm, it will start right up. I think I need a new starter but I am not sure. Any suggestions or advice?
    1991 Chevy Camaro RS (Is it plum or purple?)
    Engine: 305 TBI (L03)
    Trans: TH700R4
    Mods: Some

CarDomain Site

Also, there are no DTCs (trouble codes).

CarDomain Site

Comment

Could be a weak starter but I would bet on the battery... how cold is it where you are? How old is the battery? Got a charger you can put on it and see if it helps?

Flash - '97 Black WS/6, Intercooled Powerdyne 11# , LTCC Coil Per Cylinder Ignition, OPTI High Voltage Deleted, 160, Short Stick, BMR-STB, adjustable Shocks, PP+ w/scan, !CAGS, Flowmaster 3" cat-back... 43k miles as of Aug. 2006

**-** BOOST, it's no replacement for displacement, and there's definitely no replacement for having both!

Comment

I do not have a charger to hook it up to. The temperature around here in the mornings is about 30 degrees. The battery is an Autozone battery and is probably 4 months old (I bought the car 3 months ago).I have heard of a battery test in which you turn on the headlights and try to start the car. Would that tell me if the battery is going dead?

CarDomain Site

Comment

Battery.

If your battery is really that new then you have a drain somewhere as well. Or an alternator that isn't charging. Jump start it and take it to a part store, don't turn it off. Get somebody to bring a volt meter out there. It should be getting 14+ with the car running and should be at least 12 with the car off. No lower than 10 trying to start.

96 TA Sold!
          87 TA Sold!
          80 Z28 Sold!
          74 Formula Sold!
          73 Z28 Sold!
          69 Camaro Not Sold!

Comment

Thanks, I'll try that.

CarDomain Site

Comment

If I understand your description correctly, when it is very cold, and you turn the key, you hear the starter "whirring", but you don't hear it trying to crank the engine. If that is the case, its either inadequate battery voltage to engage the starter solenoid, or the solenoid is wearing out, bad connection, etc. A long shot would be dirt or heavy grease on the shaft that the little starter gear moves on, preventing it from mogin when it is cold.
              Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Well, I took my car to Autozone for their battery, starter, and alternator test. The guy said the battery was fine but that the alternator was bad (He said it should be putting out 75 amps and it was pulling about 65 amps). I explained to him my problem and he said that someone should pull the starter off and look for metal shavings and that I might need a new flywheel. Does this sound about right?

CarDomain Site

Comment

The autozone guy probably has the right idea. I'd buy a new starter(with solenoid) from him and go home. Pop off the old one, inspect the ring gear and install the new starter. The starter is just 2 bolts and a few wires, pretty simple assuming the exhaust is not in the way.

If you have the cash, it may not hurt to replace the alternator, but I really doubt it is causing you any problems yet.

good luck

Comment

I had a similar problem before. The gear in the starter wasn't sliding very well and when the car started, the gear wasn't sliding back and keeping the starter engaged. I took the starter off, sprayed the shaft and inside the starter with AutoZone carb cleaner, man that's good stuff, then took a garden hose and flushed the starter out. Tons of black crap came out of it. I know your dyeing laughing now but I put another 75,000 miles on that car and when I sold it, it still worked fine. You can't argue with success.
                    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
                      I had a similar problem before. The gear in the starter wasn't sliding very well and when the car started, the gear wasn't sliding back and keeping the starter engaged. I took the starter off, sprayed the shaft and inside the starter with AutoZone carb cleaner, man that's good stuff, then took a garden hose and flushed the starter out. Tons of black crap came out of it. I know your dyeing laughing now but I put another 75,000 miles on that car and when I sold it, it still worked fine. You can't argue with success.
                      That is awsome!! It's a bit off topic, but one time the bearings in the main blower motor in my furnace froze. I took the motor apart, soaked the bearings in Duralube overnight and 5 years later it still works. I bet it last forever. Some of the stuff us "handy" guys try is pretty funny. Like you said, you cannot argue with success.

Comment

Hey, that's NFB! Seriously though, thank you everyone for your help. I am going to buy a new starter and install it as soon as possible and see if that fixes it.

CarDomain Site

Comment

Update:I put on a new starter and so far the car is fine. It hasn't got really cold in the morning for the past couple of days but I bet that fixed it. The old starter was caked all over with about 1/4" of black gunk.

CarDomain Site

Comment

Update #2:It was really cold all day today so I tried to start my car and it started right up. Thanks once again everyone. This forum is the best!

CarDomain Site

Comment

Working...
                            X