Changes for TPI?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changes for TPI?

I have a TPI system (off a '86 Trans-Am, so am assuming that the TPI is '86, but the motor is different-or at least rebuilt-so I really dunno for sure) and everytime I try to find parts, the majority of them are for '89-'92 TPIs. What were the differences?

BTW, I am putting the intake on a brand new 350 crate motor (nothing really special) and into a '86 Caprice Classic, so I dunno if that means anything for getting parts.
    my car:
    '86 Caprice Classic. Soon to have a 350 crate motor. Shooting for 300rwhp.

the project:
    check the www for pics, but a '36 Chevy Master Sedan, MII front end, Jaguar IRS, '93 LT1 powerplant with plans for 350rwhp, and many many other goodies

oh, come on

nobody knows? Not even a linky?
    my car:

the project:
    check the www for pics, but a '36 Chevy Master Sedan, MII front end, Jaguar IRS, '93 LT1 powerplant with plans for 350rwhp, and many many other goodies

Comment

I had an 88 TPI 350 and i dont ever remember there being a break at 89 to something different. I know that some of the TPI's were speed density after 88. Maybe thats the issue??
      96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
      11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Re: Changes for TPI?

Originally posted by wako29
        I have a TPI system (off a '86 Trans-Am, so am assuming that the TPI is '86, but the motor is different-or at least rebuilt-so I really dunno for sure) and everytime I try to find parts, the majority of them are for '89-'92 TPIs. What were the differences?

BTW, I am putting the intake on a brand new 350 crate motor (nothing really special) and into a '86 Caprice Classic, so I dunno if that means anything for getting parts.
        There are 3 different TPI's that were used in the 3rd gens. The first, I believe it's 85-88, used a MAF and had a cold start injector (9 injectors, 8 cyl inj, and 1 in the manifold to enrich the mix for when cold.) The 89 was a MAF w/o a cold start inj. They used the ecm tables to enrich the mix. The 90-92 was a pure speed-density system w/o cold start. There are numerous ways to tell the difference, check out on the net. Also, there were a lot of differences in ECM's for these too. The 85's used a unique ECM than the rest. Also, you can usually convert the older units to the newer setup if that's what you want. Check my dates, because I may be a year or so off, it's been awhile since I was in 3rd gen land. :-)

-Paul

WickedLT1's Home on the Web - Wicked Pictures
        95 - Trans Am - LT1 - 6Speed
        Car Status: Hmm, winter projects coming up...

Comment

Re: Re: Changes for TPI?

Originally posted by WICKED LT1
          There are 3 different TPI's that were used in the 3rd gens. The first, I believe it's 85-88, used a MAF and had a cold start injector (9 injectors, 8 cyl inj, and 1 in the manifold to enrich the mix for when cold.) The 89 was a MAF w/o a cold start inj. They used the ecm tables to enrich the mix. The 90-92 was a pure speed-density system w/o cold start. There are numerous ways to tell the difference, check out on the net. Also, there were a lot of differences in ECM's for these too. The 85's used a unique ECM than the rest. Also, you can usually convert the older units to the newer setup if that's what you want. Check my dates, because I may be a year or so off, it's been awhile since I was in 3rd gen land. :-)

-Paul
          good advice, but am looking more into it

also, I thought that 3rd gens were LS1/LS6
          my car:

the project:

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Changes for TPI?

Originally posted by wako29
            good advice, but am looking more into it

also, I thought that 3rd gens were LS1/LS6
            3rd Gen cars were available from 82-92 and were equipped with TPI (L98 and LB9? 305) Engines as well as a LO3 305TBI, and a V-6.

4th Gen 93-97 were LT1 and 98-02 were LS1. No F-Body ever came equipped with an LS6. Only the ZO6 Vette. The 00-02 F-Cars had the LS6 intake, but that's all.

HTH

-Paul

Comment

Don’t forget the intake manifold changed bolt patterns in 89. The four center bolts are at an angle different from the rest. This was for the TBI engines but they all used the same heads so the TPI engines got them too. And with the center bolt valve covers.
              1986 Red Firebird SE 5 sdp "had"
              1989 Black Formula 5 spd "had"
              1996 Black Trans AM 6 spd "had"

Next ????

Comment

Originally posted by Danimal
                Don’t forget the intake manifold changed bolt patterns in 89. The four center bolts are at an angle different from the rest. This was for the TBI engines but they all used the same heads so the TPI engines got them too. And with the center bolt valve covers.
                Good point. I had forgot about that. I try not to think about the 80's unless I have to :-)

-Paul

Comment

Working...
                X