What is this for???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this for???

I'm currently installing headers and a y-pipe on my 97 SS, and noticed a hose and connector that weren't connected to anything. The first attached picture, 106, is a view looking from above the driver's side valve cover near the front; the small hose with a 90 deg bend doesn't attach to anything. The other end of it attach's to the device just below the exhaust manifold mounting bolt. Also, the blue/red male connector down below is not connected; it actually has a black cover installed to it. My guess is maybe it was used on the old Air Pump design; My car has the new air pump due to the recall.
    The second view, 108, is a view looking from the bottom; the small open hose connects to the device just to the right of my finger; next to the female connector. Maybe the blue/red connector is supposed to go there; but why would there be a black cover on the male connector? I looked at Shoebox's tech site; but it looks like a '95 is different than a '97 in this area.
    Any help is much appreciated......
    Attached Files
    97' SS #497 1 of 50 White Hardtop M6,stock TB reworked to 52mm,SLP CC shorties, Random Tech DC Y-pipe, LT4KM, Taylor Spiro's and NGK's, BMR Adj Lcr's, TA, Boxed SFC's, Adj PHR, Floorpan brace w/ driveshaft loop, STB, GM 4:10'S, 1LE alum DS, Eibach 35mm front swaybar and Pro-Kit Springs, Bilstein HD's, Lou's speed stick with Hurst ball,LS1 front brakes, Earl's lines, Hawk Pads, BMR relocation brackets.

Not sure how to add multiple jpg's.... Here's view 108.
    Attached Files
    97' SS #497 1 of 50 White Hardtop M6,stock TB reworked to 52mm,SLP CC shorties, Random Tech DC Y-pipe, LT4KM, Taylor Spiro's and NGK's, BMR Adj Lcr's, TA, Boxed SFC's, Adj PHR, Floorpan brace w/ driveshaft loop, STB, GM 4:10'S, 1LE alum DS, Eibach 35mm front swaybar and Pro-Kit Springs, Bilstein HD's, Lou's speed stick with Hurst ball,LS1 front brakes, Earl's lines, Hawk Pads, BMR relocation brackets.

Comment

Looks like the connector should plug into the AIR pump bleed solenoid. Someone must have disconnected it. The hose should plug into a valve that is in the hose between the AIR pump and the metal tubing on the driver's side.
      Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

I've seen a number of posts over the years by people with similar loose connectors, and the common denominator seems to be cars that have had the air pump recall work done.
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

upon further review.....

Thanks for the reply Shoebox. It looks as though the part in my photo is the old AIR pump solenoid. Their was nothing attached to it. I removed it from the engine compartment and noticed it had p/n 12552790 on it; which per gmpartsdirect is a HARN-VLV. A GM shop replaced it with the newly designed version; which is just kinda hanging there; they didn't take the time to attach it to the block; it actually has a bracket attached to it with a hole, so I'll try to find a home for it.

One other note, I noticed when removing the number 3 sparkplug that it had a little bit of oil on it where it attaches to the head; there just a little bit on the head in the cast opening for the spark plug threads. Maybe the sparkplug was not seated properly?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
          X