315's on a 9" rim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 315's on a 9" rim

This idiot on another board is convinced it is ok for him to put 315's on his 9 inch SS wheels!!

I've tried to convince him it is a bad idea, but he is not listening to me. Oh well..... Some people just don't get it.

Check out the thread..
    http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...56#post1767956

315's on a 9 inch rim will seriously distort the angle of the sidewall resulting in very diminshed handling characteristics. Not to mention the center of the tread would wear prematurely due to the tire being "squeezed".

Tell him to just call any profesional tire store.

Comment

You can lead a horse to water but...............
      LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

You could always reference my favorite "persuader" on this issue.....

<----- 315/35 on a 17x11 rim . . . . . 275/40 on a 17x9.5" rim --------->

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

A LONG time ago I out a G60-14 on a 6" rim. I had to run it at about 20 PSI to keep it from looking like a motorcycle tire and wearing in the middle. The weird thing is it didn't wear on the outside and the very middle. The tire marks it left looked like the centerline on a no passing road. Very weird. Not a good idea at all. Post a link to this thread and the last thread about this issue on that forum.
          2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

idiot. plain and simple. premature wear of the cord body and belt package......and funny thing is.. his contact patch will be no bigger than a 275/40r17 on the same rim...... in order to get the proper enlarged contact patch of a 315..you need the 11" rim.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
            Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
            sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
              A LONG time ago I out a G60-14 on a 6" rim. I had to run it at about 20 PSI to keep it from looking like a motorcycle tire and wearing in the middle. The weird thing is it didn't wear on the outside and the very middle. The tire marks it left looked like the centerline on a no passing road. Very weird. Not a good idea at all. Post a link to this thread and the last thread about this issue on that forum.
              I did post a link to another thread here that included Injuneer's photo showing the difference. He STILL doesn't get it..

I've given up hope... I'm just venting here now. I'd be afraid of a blowout at high speed. Darwinism at it's finest.

Comment

Originally posted by tabahr
                I did post a link to another thread here that included Injuneer's photo showing the difference. He STILL doesn't get it..

I've given up hope... I'm just venting here now. I'd be afraid of a blowout at high speed. Darwinism at it's finest.
                I didn't read the other thread but mark my words. It is just a money thing and this person just doesn't have it or want to spend the money to do it right.
                LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

I run across people like that at work all the time.

They do things the wrong way, sometimes endangering themselves and others. But when I tell them it's wrong, they say that they've done it like that for twenty years!

I get great please by saying that they've done it wrong for twenty years. But that usually goes right over their head.

Some people have to learn it the hard way. The problem is in cases like that, innocent people get hurt while they get away with a scratch and a bump on their head.
                  97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Originally posted by wolfman
                    idiot. plain and simple. premature wear of the cord body and belt package......and funny thing is.. his contact patch will be no bigger than a 275/40r17 on the same rim...... in order to get the proper enlarged contact patch of a 315..you need the 11" rim.
                    The contact patch WILL be bigger. I used to run 315 Drag Radials on WS6 wheels and you could, without a doubt see the difference. And it was proven with a burnout, side by side. The 315 was definitely wider.

Is it optimal, no. But it does lay down a wider patch.

Running 315 street tires on a 9" might be too small. 9.5" would be fine as I know of two Comp TA's that have been on the road course with that setup and have been fine. Tires had many miles and no adverse wear patterns or other problems.
                    Rob
                    04 GTO

Comment

We were talking about a 9" wide wheel and not a WS6 wheel which is 9.5" wide.

I love what Black 97 said because it is so true:

I run across people like that at work all the time.

They do things the wrong way, sometimes endangering themselves and others. But when I tell them it's wrong, they say that they've done it like that for twenty years!

I get great pleasure by saying that they've done it wrong for twenty years. But that usually goes right over their head.

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
                        We were talking about a 9" wide wheel and not a WS6 wheel which is 9.5" wide.

I love what Black 97 said because it is so true:
                        Just so you know, WS6 wheels are 9" wide. 17x9. Been that way from 96-02.
                        Rob
                        04 GTO

Comment

Ditto.... WS6 and SS are 17x9

I've seen the 315's on a 9.5" wide rim, and they still "look" scrunched..... hardly a technical measure..... purely aesthetic.
                          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Yeah you guys are right. I was measuring the overall rim width (outside of bead to outside of bead) which is slightly more than 9.5". I was assuming that was the specified rim width. OOps

Comment

Working...
                            X