Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SOME twilight lights on my radio are out

Hey,
    So I finished the installation of the FM modulator to work with my iPod, and it sounds great. Everything works perfectly, until it becomes nighttime, and the twilight lights turn on with my headlights.

The problem is this:
    Random lights aren't lighting up. For instance, the 1 and 4 and 3 and 6 buttons on the radio light up, but the 2 and 5 and eject and seek and several others are out.

Yes, I did recently have the radio out of its space, but I made sure that all of the connections in the back were plugged in all the way, and I didn't cut any power wires. I checked the fuses too, even though they weren't a likely problem.

The FM modulator doesn't look suspicious either, because I completely disconnected it and the lights on the radio were still out. It is power via the accessory plug on the fuse panel, and it is ground by touching the ground cable directly to the metal radio case, which apparently is grounded as well. I just taped onto one of the ridges there and it seems to work out fine.

Any ideas what would make SOME of my lights go out?

thanks so much,
    -jbp

Sounds like they are just burned out. It is common. I ordered a bunch of them from a delco redio repair shop a few months back and replaced mine. It requires a little soldering, but is easy.

Your other choice is to send out the radio and pay more.

Comment

i suppose i wouldn't mind figuring out how to solder new bulbs on...but i need to decide if I want to just get an after market radio instead. the only thing keeping me from doing that is the awesome SCV feature on the stock radio.

do any after market radios have the SCV feature so that the radio volume increases as you accelerate?

thanks,
      jbp

Comment

Originally posted by jbpwhatwhat
        i suppose i wouldn't mind figuring out how to solder new bulbs on...but i need to decide if I want to just get an after market radio instead. the only thing keeping me from doing that is the awesome SCV feature on the stock radio.

do any after market radios have the SCV feature so that the radio volume increases as you accelerate?

thanks,
        jbp
        That's a cool feature...I know Vettes had them...wonder why Monsoons don't.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
        Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
        B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
        Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
        Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

if anyone was wondering, I found that feature on this aftermarket blaupunkt stereo

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-BgGAkwE...asp?i=023ORLAN

would anyone be willing to give me a short tutorial on soldering on new light bulbs for my stock stereo? I havent used a solder iron before, or opened up my stereo.

thanks,
          jbp

Comment

I know how too...done a couple of soldering projects when I was a kid...was all in to electronics and stuff. It's really simple.

You can pick everything up at Radio Shack...

1. Get Solder (usually a roll...it's a really plyable metal..soft and if you cut it clean has some clear gunk in the middle; I guess it helps in adhesion).
            2. Get Solder remover (it's in a roll too usually, you'll need it so you can remove the old solder from the circuit board of the radio...)
            3. A Solder gun (looks like a glue gun with a long needle like tip; junk is hot so becareful)

Working on a stable area, plug and heat the gun to max temp...using the remover, touch the end of the remover on the solder currently on the board (you'll be working on the back the board); take the gun and touch the remover...or you can touch the old solder to melt it then put the remover over it and then touch the remover to lift the old solder off. Of course you do both connection...

Once you remove the old solder the LEDs should slide right out...

Slide a new LED (from the front of course) in and then solder new solder on there. Just take the end of the solder and touch the area you want it to melt on...take the gun and touch the end...it'll melt right then and there. Don't melt too much or you'll bridge connections...

Solder both connections and there you have it...simple.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
            Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
            B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
            Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
            Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

When I did my 94 delco bose radio, they were actually tiny lightbulbs, not LEDs. If they are LEDs be carefull to get the polarity right. They only light up one way.

I used a 9v battery to test my light bulbs. It worked well.

Comment

I've got the bulbs out, and I've been looking for a "Delco repair shop" but I can't find one. I've looked on yahoo and whitepages.com, and I don't really know where else I should check, or what listing to check under. Any suggestions?

thanks

Comment

There is a ton of places...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...=Google+Search

mine were $2 each.

Comment

Originally posted by tabahr
                    There is a ton of places...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...=Google+Search

mine were $2 each.
                    Here is exactly what you need....

http://www.corvetteradios.com/Page7.html

Comment

so I've been looking hard to find bulbs with the base (see the link above^ ) for $2, but they are SO hard to find. I am assuming that you got the bulbs without the base? I guess that requires a more precise solder, but works just as well...? My stock bulbs do have the base.....

Any comments on that would help out a lot.

thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by jbpwhatwhat
                        so I've been looking hard to find bulbs with the base (see the link above^ ) for $2, but they are SO hard to find. I am assuming that you got the bulbs without the base? I guess that requires a more precise solder, but works just as well...? My stock bulbs do have the base.....

Any comments on that would help out a lot.

thanks again
                        I re-used the bases off the old bulbs. Just slide em on!

Comment

wow, genius. I didnt know they could come off.

thank you!

Comment

Working...
                          X