verifying a WS6......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• verifying a WS6......

This is probably a newbie question, but I'm looking at getting my first 4th gen WS6 (a '97) and need to know what ways can I verify it's a true WS6 and not a clone. With so many aftermarket hoods and airboxes out there, are there ways through the VIN or option codes that I can use to verify a true WS6?

Thanks!
    Dave M
    Dave M
    Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

There is a computer printed "build tag", typically on the drivers door, in the console or in the glove box. The list of 3-character option codes should include "WS6".
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I figured it had to be that easy... thanks!!

Dave M
      Dave M
      Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

As Fred says, the best way is to look for the "WS6" option code on the build sheet or the window sticker (the '97 WS6 was modified by SLP; '98 and later WS6s by ASC in Canada). If the car has no window sticker, you can order one using the VIN. Might cost you a few bucks, but it saves you from being defrauded.

A quick visual clue -- one that is not easily "cloned" -- is that all WS6 Firebirds (TAs or Formulas) have 17" wheels. Non-WS6 Firebirds (Formulas or TAs, included) have 16" wheels.
        R.i.K.

'98 WS6 TA (white, of course!), Hurst Billet/Plus shifter, BBK intake manifold, McGard “blue-ring” lug nuts (12x1.5), PowerSlot brake rotors, Hawk brake pads, Stainless steel braided brake lines, Pontiac arrow, Hotchkis strut tower brace, MBA MAF ends, Reflective Concepts lettering, MTI carbon-fiber look airbox lid . . . and one greying, somewhat eccentric owner.

Comment

Unless its a Vert the 97s verts came with no badges and 16" wheels but still have the WS6 rpo code........
          1997 Trans AM WS6 vert
          1 of 463
          LT4 knock module
          D. Goetz sub-frame connectors.
          strut tower brace
          SLP fan switch
          160* t/stat
          Drilled and slotted rotors/ Earls SS brake lines/ Hawk pads
          DMS 1.5" progressive lowering springs

Pictures Here

Comment

Yup. BadWS6 is correct.
            R.i.K.

'98 WS6 TA (white, of course!), Hurst Billet/Plus shifter, BBK intake manifold, McGard “blue-ring” lug nuts (12x1.5), PowerSlot brake rotors, Hawk brake pads, Stainless steel braided brake lines, Pontiac arrow, Hotchkis strut tower brace, MBA MAF ends, Reflective Concepts lettering, MTI carbon-fiber look airbox lid . . . and one greying, somewhat eccentric owner.

Comment

Working...
            X