To run the bottle, whats needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To run the bottle, whats needed

Ok im running a 383 stroker engine, just rebuilt, as&m headers, 52 mm BBK Throttle body, MSD 8.5 ingnition wires with a MSD 6A ignition box, Meziere Water Pump, NGK TR55 spark plugs, computer tuning from fast chip and a couple of other things. I just wanna add a 75 HP shot just for kicks but i want it to be as safe as possible without hurting my car. What would i need and what kit should i get? I also heard i need new spark plugs? If so what kind should i get? Thanks

For starters you need a 6AL (comes with a soft touch rev limiter built in) so that if for some reason you do hit the limiter on the bottle it's just killing spark and not fuel like the factory limiter does.

I'm not sure on the plugs, I know you have to go one step colder than stock and gap to .035. I don't run NGK's so I don't know if you have the right temp plugs or not.

If you run wet, make sure you get all the safety stuff (fuel pressure safety switch, WOT switch, RPM switch).

If you go dry, you still need all the safety stuff menitioned before, but you'll also have to replace the stock fuel injectors with either Ford SVO's or aftermarket ones as the GM ones cannot handle the load.

I'm sure Injuneer will chime in shortly and fill in anything I missed.
    "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

which is safer? Wet or Dry? Also i was planning on upgrading the injectors, but i dont know to what size. Any ideas?

Comment

Here is a pretty good thread on Nitrous.

http://www.f-body.com/forum/showthre...hlight=Nitrous

I basically decided on a TNT wet system myself.

Basically what you need is.

Kit
        Window Switch
        Fuel Pressure safety switch

optional:

MSD 6AL
        Better fuel pump
        Blow off valve
        tank warmer
        remote opening switch

I'm sure I've left something off. Some might argue my optional list.

If you do everything yourself, it'll be at least $950.

96 TA Sold!
        87 TA Sold!
        80 Z28 Sold!
        74 Formula Sold!
        73 Z28 Sold!
        69 Camaro Not Sold!

Comment

What engine/tranny combo are you working with??? If its a 4th gen go with the TNT wet kit.....best nitrous kit I have run. I've had a NOS kit before and the the TNT blows it away. The basic kit all in one package. Of course the fuel pressure switch and the window switch are extra. If your running an auto - the rpm switch is probably not a necessity at a 75 HP shot.
          96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
          11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

I have the TNT wet kit sitting in my garage for me to get out of Iraq, but what is the "window switch" you guys speak of?
            2006 GTO Impulse Blue Metallic, Blue Leather Interior
            Traded in: 1998 Z28
            http://www.cardomain.com/id/hotwhip9

Comment

A window switch is a switch that only opens between certain RPM's. For example, with this switch, your nitrous would only come on between say 3000 and 6000 RPM's. If you are running stock settings, you want it to come on between 3000 and 5500, as your stock rev limiter is at 5700 (I believe). If you hit the stock limiter on the bottle, you WILL BLOW THE MOTOR as the stock limiter cuts fuel.

In my opinion, running nitrous on a car without a window switch is like poking a stick at the grim reaper. Eventually he's gonna attack you, and that gets real expensive.

Running nitrous without a fuel pressure safety switch is like giving the grim reaper a noogie.

Running nitrous without a WOT switch is like body slamming him.

All kidding aside, I spent as much on safety stuff as I did on the kit, because a few hundred bucks now is a lot smarter than a few thousand later.

Comment

Originally posted by MN6WS6
                A window switch is a switch that only opens between certain RPM's. For example, with this switch, your nitrous would only come on between say 3000 and 6000 RPM's. If you are running stock settings, you want it to come on between 3000 and 5500, as your stock rev limiter is at 5700 (I believe). If you hit the stock limiter on the bottle, you WILL BLOW THE MOTOR as the stock limiter cuts fuel.

In my opinion, running nitrous on a car without a window switch is like poking a stick at the grim reaper. Eventually he's gonna attack you, and that gets real expensive.

Running nitrous without a fuel pressure safety switch is like giving the grim reaper a noogie.

Running nitrous without a WOT switch is like body slamming him.

All kidding aside, I spent as much on safety stuff as I did on the kit, because a few hundred bucks now is a lot smarter than a few thousand later.
                That about sums it up. You need a good fuel system, good ignition system, good bottom end, good trans and rear. If anything is weak, nitrous will make it stand out in a hurry. Shoot for a 50% increase in power over the N/A level. More than that, you are just asking for trouble if one bit of tuning is a little out.

Comment

Ok, so the TNT wet kit i know comes with the WOT switch, where do i get a window switch and fuel safety switch. I was also thinking about changing the throttle body in the process, good idea? What mm tb should i go with? Are those switches hard to have hooked into the system? More than likely i am going to have a shop back home hook it up, unless n20lt4bird wants to help me do it in his shop? =)
                  2006 GTO Impulse Blue Metallic, Blue Leather Interior
                  Traded in: 1998 Z28
                  http://www.cardomain.com/id/hotwhip9

Comment

A fuel pressure safety switch is something that just about any performance shop would have. It's mostly used for nitrous applications, but I've seen them as safety devices for turbo and supercharged cars as well. The window switch can be a little harder to come by, but they can be had online for less than $100. I use all MSD stuff.

Throttle bodies can turn into a big argument, but in my opinion you don't need it until you get up around 500 HP NA. Unless you have heads and cam or those and a big bore motor, it's unnecessary.

As far as install goes, I don't trust anybody to hook anything up on my car except me. You can make whatever choices you need to, but if you know somebody local with nitrous experience, hook up with them and help them do it. This is the only way you will learn, and the only way you will be able to tune it and work on it yourself.

Comment

Working...
                    X