cammin lt1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cammin lt1

I have a 96 LT1 T/A. I would like to put a cam in it by spring time. I want to put an LT4 hot cam kit in. But I have heard that there are way better cams out there now. and the lt4 kit is kinda "out dated". I want a cam with good top end speed because i already have very good bottom end with a 3000 stall. But i also use my car everyday. So i dont want a pure track cam, i just want one that is really good for everyday driving and good topend. Sorry if this sounds confusing, it is just hard to explain i guess. also, if there is a cam that is better, does it come with a kit, like th lt4 cam does? with like rockers, lifters ect... I have heard good things about a zz9tpis cam. does anybody know anything about this cam? thanks guys sorry if it sounds confusing again.
    1996 Trans Am:T-tops,graphite leather,16" chrome T/A rims, Nitto's, Descreened MAF, Morosso CAI, hypertech, flowtech cut out, 1LE elbow, Silver BMR tubular SFC's, 160 thermo, limo tint, harwood ws6 hood, !side molding, Stage 2 trans.

Looking for a driver side window.

It's not as simple as that. Good top end cams do not make good daily drivers because you aren't going to be driving around at 3500-7000 rpms unless you are in a big hurry to get somewhere...
    Also, good top end means headwork as well as intake/exhaust and possibly larger injectors. Generally, you can bet that to much duration will make it lazy down low, and if you have emissions, it will make it hard to pass. usually, you can get away with a little lift and set up the springs right & get the roller rockers & some good pushrods - then you can have good street & strip performance on a stock tune. You might want to look at Lingenfelter cams & the Extreme cams as well as the TPIs for a streetable cam that still does well at the track. Some feel that the extreme cams can be hard on the valvetrain due to the steep profile, but you don't have to get the biggest one they make. Most guys with street cars overcam their cars and end up destroying the low end torque & fuel mileage. Don't forget you may need tuning also, in addition to the other work.

Comment

The HOT cam is a good "smallish" cam. Has good mid-high range, will pass emissions, and still gets pretty good gas mileage. You'll make the same low end as a stock cam. And still has a little lope to know you have a different cam in there

You'll still need to get the computer reprogrammed though as it will set off misfire codes all the time.
      Rob
      04 GTO

Comment

kevin, im buildind a forged 355 blower motor this summer,
        355, forged pistons and rods
        stage 3 lt4 heads and a port matched intake.
        im going to try to run 12-16 lbs of boost, what would be a good blower cam for my application? thanks~gunter

1996 Trans Am WS6 #34
        http://www.cardomain.com/id/gunter96ws6

Comment

I didnt know the hotcam would set misfire codes with a stock computer.

Comment

Originally posted by Bojangles1432
            I didnt know the hotcam would set misfire codes with a stock computer.
            It won't set a misfire code in your 94.... no provision for misfire detection in OBD-I.
            Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
              It won't set a misfire code in your 94.... no provision for misfire detection in OBD-I.
              To clarify, the original question about camming the 96 (OBD2) might get the misfire codes, whereas the 94 (OBD1) car would not.

Gunter - you might want to look at Thunder Racing - they have a couple blower cams on special:
              63-218/230-114
              63-224/236-114

Thunder Racing

Comment

Purepwrta....I'm gonna get flack for this, but I highly recommend the Lingenfelter 211/219 cam...They recommend it both for 350s and 383s....the specs are .533"int. and .560"ext with duration of 211 and 219 @ .050....It seems smallish, but it makes great power in all rpm ranges and so far (i've been running it for 9 years...) no valve spring issues....in my LPE 383 which is street driven and gets 25 mpg on the highway (when you use restraint!!) Its been a few years since the combo was chassis dynoed but it pulled 420rwhp N/A....Before I put the car away for the winter it made several 11.70-11.80s passes at over 118mph....Valve springs must still be ok...your 3000 stall would also work well with this cam...don't forget to get the heads done, too...
                --Alan

Comment

Re: cammin lt1

Originally posted by purepwrta
                  I have a 96 LT1 T/A. I would like to put a cam in it by spring time. I want to put an LT4 hot cam kit in. But I have heard that there are way better cams out there now. and the lt4 kit is kinda "out dated". I want a cam with good top end speed because i already have very good bottom end with a 3000 stall. But i also use my car everyday. So i dont want a pure track cam, i just want one that is really good for everyday driving and good topend. Sorry if this sounds confusing, it is just hard to explain i guess. also, if there is a cam that is better, does it come with a kit, like th lt4 cam does? with like rockers, lifters ect... I have heard good things about a zz9tpis cam. does anybody know anything about this cam? thanks guys sorry if it sounds confusing again.
                  Depending on how much power you want to make these two cams have good street manners but still make great power.

Comp Cams TN224XL Camshaft 224/230 duration @ .050", .536"/.544" lift with 1.6 rockers, 112 lsa.

Comp Cams TN227XR Camshaft 227/233 duration @ .050", .560"/.569" lift with 1.6 rockers, 111 lsa

The lower the lobe separation angle the greater the valve overlap.

Here is a pretty good list of some common cams. These are intended for no more than 396 cubes:

http://www.cmotorsports.com/engine/l...ft-design.html

Comment

Working...
                  X