Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

money saved ... time for mods but where to start ??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• money saved ... time for mods but where to start ??

Just want to see where every one else has or reccomends. took a few months but ive got about a grand to spend as of now so i guess its time to begin.
    -Nick-
    95 A4 Z28

just remember the equation: more air in + more air out = HP

so start with some type of cold air induction..most of them all do the same thing with the same gain. then a 3" cat back..ones that flows good and wont rust out on you.... ie: slp loudmouth, borla, corsa...like that...

email Stealth perf., they have always gave our members super prices and good service.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

A4 or M6? If A4, which rear gears?
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Dang, I had it right the first time.

I agree with Ken. First thing is a cold air kit. Take off the tube that goes between the air filter and the MAF sensor and look in it. Not much is going to go through there. I looked at the K&N, SLP and the Moroso. I ended up getting the Moroso but if I had to do it all over again, I would get the SLP. I had to cut about 3/4" off the Moroso to get it to go on. I pushed the air filter as far the right as I could and the tube was still too long. I could not close the hood.

I agree again with Ken on the second thing. Some where in my research for an exhaust system, I found a stat saying that the stock Z28 muffler only flowed 225 CFM. I still find that stat hard to believe. I don't know what the flow rate on the LT1 intake is but I would bet the farm that it is better than 600 CFM. Well if you can't get but 225 CFM out, your not going to get 600 CFM in. Never the less, a high performance car needs to have a good sound just for the grin factor. Also since you live in NY, I would seriously consider a stainless exhaust. Aluminized is better than nothing but it ain't going to survive up there.
        2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

whats the difference between a cold air intake and a ram air intake?

Comment

About $800 including paint.

Ram air is the functional hood scoup. Cold air replaces the stock tube under the hood to the out side (sort of) to get better air flow.
            2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

what if you have the ram air, and the cold air? Is that too much air?! if so, uh oh!
              2006 GTO Impulse Blue Metallic, Blue Leather Interior
              Traded in: 1998 Z28
              http://www.cardomain.com/id/hotwhip9

Comment

Originally posted by hotwhip9
                what if you have the ram air, and the cold air? Is that too much air?! if so, uh oh!
                that doesnt make sense.......... if you have ram air..you have "cold air"..it draws it thru the scoops instead from under the car..and then the added beni of "ramming" it at speed in excess of 80mph. why would you want to hook up a CAI...and how would you do that and keep ram air

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Wolfman - that is the question I asked a few weeks back - do I need CAI if I already have Ram Air? I see Whisper lid and SLP lid listed frequently as power adders - but would it benefit my car if I already have Ram Air?
                  Silver 02 WS-6, 6 speed, Corsa cat-back, SLP lid, K&N filter, BMR STB, !CAGs, Lou's short stick, MSD wires, MTI "Hammer" cam, ASP underdrive pulley, Hooker LTs, Hooker ORY, Comp 918s, TR pushrods, UMI Sfcs, UMI LCAs, NGK TR55s, Hotchkis springs

Dyno'd 4/24: 330.9 RWHP/ 344.8 RWTQ (Before cam, headers, and pulley)

Dyno'd 5/1: 383.5 RWHP / 380.5 RWTQ (393 actual RWHP)

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
                    A4 or M6? If A4, which rear gears?
                    its the A4 ... sigh.. i really really wanted the m6 but for 4800 bucks and the condition its in i was willing to sacrifice it.(34k ... mint body) but im not realy shure what gears are in it ... ill do some research n see what i come up with.
                    -Nick-
                    95 A4 Z28

Comment

that doesnt make sense.......... if you have ram air..you have "cold air"..it draws it thru the scoops instead from under the car..and then the added beni of "ramming" it at speed in excess of 80mph. why would you want to hook up a CAI...and how would you do that and keep ram air
                      actually i thought i read somewhere that the aftermarket under-the-bumper CAI actually moved more air than the WS6 Hood+ram air setup did. So as far as getting more air into your system, the under-the-bumper was the way to go. am i mistaken?

also here's another thing... check this thing out. http://www.ramairhood.com/store/detail.aspx?ID=46 its the "ram air" air box that is offered by APM automotive, the people i bought my WS6 hood from. When I bought the hood I could have added the airbox onto the package for like $215... so is the only way I can make my hood do the air ramming to get this special airbox?

... and then whats even more confusing to me is that there was an airbox that came in with my hood that looks EXACTLY like the picture they have on their site ... but i definitly did not order or pay for the airbox. it even came with a pre-oiled K&N filtercharger, which is what they also say comes with the airbox.

Is there something different between the one listed on that link and the one i got... or did they just screw up and accidentally send me a free $215 airbox? thatd be sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by 95z28
                        its the A4 ... sigh.. i really really wanted the m6 but for 4800 bucks and the condition its in i was willing to sacrifice it.(34k ... mint body) but im not realy shure what gears are in it ... ill do some research n see what i come up with.
                        dang man... and i thought i was getting a deal for my '98 formula in mint condition with 69k miles... $8300... your 95 was only 4800?? you got a steal for sure.

Comment

Yupp ... i wasnt guna pass this up i mean it was literaly perfect except there was a dent about the size of a golf ball on the right rear quarter ... and like this scratch on the drivers side door that u can only see from one angle.
                          im happy with it runs great but soon she will be running better
                          -Nick-
                          95 A4 Z28

Comment

Try a set of gears too- if you put em in yourself you end up only $200 in the hole and prolly 2-4 tenths faster than stock. it'll really wake your Z up if you have 2.73's in it now.

Comment

I would go for gears and catback exhaust also.

Comment

Working...
                              X