No announcement yet.

subwoofer minimum displacement?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The JL stealth box is good, but you are limited on SPL because of small airspace... The $900 sounds about right... If I was guessing right, its a JL 10W3v2- which is probably 200ish... a JL 250.1-- 350ish, the box- probably $150... That leaves $150 for install which, for a system with a stock head unit, is expected... then tax...

I'm glad I don't have T-tops... I'd never be able to fit my Xtant X603 and JL 12W6v2 in the car with them...
    1996 Camaro- L36, 5 spd, intake, Pacesetter headers, Flowmaster 80 series

My name is George, and I am an audiophile.

Anyone interested in an Xtant X603 multi-channel amp? Let me know...

Comment

Hmmm i should post a pic of my box to show you guys a nice setup. I have a JL12w3v2 on 250 watts in a box that sits on the space between the back seats and the trunk. The bottom of the box has been grinded down to give more depth and the design of the box looks sweet in my car. It is about one inch higher than my back seat and slopes down towards the trunk. At the trunk area it is about 4 inches high. Best part is that when you look in the rearview you can't even see it!! And if you were to hear the thing you would think I had two 12's in there! Can you say... Hatchback box????
      1997 6-spd WS6 Trans Am

Comment

yeah, the whole shape of the hatchback makes the bass seem louder... too bad the hatch can never be fully deadened... I don't think its possible to have the hatch not rattle during the 40-60Hz range...

And if someone has been able to make their hatch completely quiet, please share your secret!
        1996 Camaro- L36, 5 spd, intake, Pacesetter headers, Flowmaster 80 series

My name is George, and I am an audiophile.

Anyone interested in an Xtant X603 multi-channel amp? Let me know...

Comment

Believe it or not but i have NO rattle in my hatch at all!!! I have always wondered why this is but with my system fully cranked there is only a whisper of rattle from the license plate and can only be heard if you are listening for it. That could be fixed if i want to but the rattle is so quiet i don't think it would be worth the $ to fix it lol. I guess i just got lucky because my system is LOUD and rattled the heck out of my last car.
          1997 6-spd WS6 Trans Am

Comment

The trick to making the hatch not rattle is your rubber stoppers on the back of the car. Turn these up, and they will keep the hatch from moving side to side. I have 3-10's in the car now, on a 1200 watt Directed amp (it pulls 120 amps of current, takes 4 guage in and REQUIRES two 1 farad caps, you do the math ). No rattles.
            "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

Stealth box is in...!!!!!!!!

Well I got the JL Audio Stealth box with the W3 in it powered by a JL 250 AMP...let me tell you for small numbers it sounds amazing! Even for big numbers it sounds amazing...I surprise everyone when they hear it....outside the car you can barely hear it(with t-tops on)....storage space for T-Tops available I love it!

This system sounds better than the 3 10" subs I had in there with the "1000W" amp(peak)...great choice for any F-Bod owner. Ran me $900....

SOUNDS GREAAATTTTTT!!!!!!!

-Rico

Click here to visit my CarDomain page!

01 Camaro Convertable, A4, White, Audiobahn 12" subs and amp 800W/RMS,Xenon
              98 TA/WS6, M6, All options,stock with minor mods, stealth JL Audio-Sold
              98 Camaro, V6, A4, Silver, Xenon Body kit, white guages, MTX system, custom interior SOLD
              94 Camaro, 3.4L, M5, Quasar Blue, SOLD

Comment

I have 2 Kenwood 12" subs that are 750watt max and a pair of Jensen 6X9's that I was going to put in my old Grand Prix. I'm glad I didn't as I totaled that car, but all of this would work alright in an F-body, right? As far as an affordable AMP goes that works with this stuff, what do you all reccomend?

Comment

Well the box is going to take up your storage space for T-Tops n such...but if you are putting 2 12"s in your not worried about that...

As stated earlier subthumb.com has some good boxes that wont hinder your storage...
                  As far as amps I've had a few different ones in various cars. Make sure you know the RMS ratings of your subs, and the RMS rating of the amp you get. I once had a "1000 watt" amp but it was only like 250RMS with a 1000W peak. RMS is the wattage it can constantly handle. I'd go to a good car audio place and see what they have for your setup. I am real happy with JL Audio products their AMPs are good. My friends got a Kenwood in his SS and he loves it so...It really all depends on how much money you can spend...

The 6x9s are a little tricker. What kind of F-body do you wanna install them in. We installed them in my friends Z28 and it required some cutting away of the speaker panels back there. He had Sony XPlodes and after installation the grill protruded and got in the way of closing the hatch. He got it working now though. Personally I'd stick with the stock stuff back there vs installing 6x9s...
                  -Rico

98 Camaro, V6, A4, Silver, Xenon Body kit, white guages, MTX system, custom interior SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by Camaro4-2
                    Well the box is going to take up your storage space for T-Tops n such...but if you are putting 2 12"s in your not worried about that...

As stated earlier subthumb.com has some good boxes that wont hinder your storage...
                    As far as amps I've had a few different ones in various cars. Make sure you know the RMS ratings of your subs, and the RMS rating of the amp you get. I once had a "1000 watt" amp but it was only like 250RMS with a 1000W peak. RMS is the wattage it can constantly handle. I'd go to a good car audio place and see what they have for your setup. I am real happy with JL Audio products their AMPs are good. My friends got a Kenwood in his SS and he loves it so...It really all depends on how much money you can spend...

The 6x9s are a little tricker. What kind of F-body do you wanna install them in. We installed them in my friends Z28 and it required some cutting away of the speaker panels back there. He had Sony XPlodes and after installation the grill protruded and got in the way of closing the hatch. He got it working now though. Personally I'd stick with the stock stuff back there vs installing 6x9s...
                    T-Top storage would probably be a problem with the sound system I was going for. I plan on getting like a 94' Z28, or something of that nature. If I only took the T-Tops off periodically, would storing them in the back seats for a ride or two be a problem?

Are 6X9's a downgrade from the stock speaker setup in that years model or something? Also, what year did they offer CD players as stock? Because I see no point on getting a CD player and face if the car already has a Monsoon system, or whatever the CD player already is in a model car's year like that.

Comment

Now heres my .02...and i claim to be no expert...but....
                      If you really wanted to you could store your t-tops in the back seat i did that when i had my 3 10" box back there...you can fold the seat down and lay them on the seat...i'd carry around a towel or something to put inbetween them so that they dont scratch(they will overlap a little bit).

Once you isntall the 6.9s your cant really put the stock stuff back in because of the cutting you do to the panel. thats the only reason i woudln't put them in...Its not a downgrade(depending on how good of 6x9s you have, if its some kind of cheapo walmart stuff i'd be careful). The ones we put in the Z28 gave a little bit better sound...somethign you probably wont notice with the subs being back there ...because its gonna be pretty drown out by your bass...the back passengers(or your t-tops) will befenit form the 6x9s the most. I'd definitly upgrade the front and middle speakers and get tweaters installed. My trans am came stock with tweeters in teh door panels so that wasn't a prob for me. I plan on getting my component system upgraded soon.
                      Now as far as the monsoon and stock CD player....I dont know a 4th gen year that they didn't offer CD player option. The early 4th gens offered the Bose sound system which sounded REALLY good i think. The late 4th gens had the Monsoon option and I'm really not impressed with the monsoon. From what i've heard people have trouble with blowing the speakers cause they are papercone speakers. I upgraded to JL audios for the middle woofers cause mine blew. The CD player that goes with those two systems you also have to be careful of. They work good but many people(including me) have problems with the lights that light up the buttons burning out. I dont know how easy it is to replace them, I haven't tried. I usually ended up putting an aftermarket cd-player in anyways. I like MP3 decks...The one in my 98 TA hasn't given me problems with the lights but the display gets scrammbled from time to time and the dealer said it would be around $300 to repair it and i'd be out a radio for 14 days. I could easily upgrade to an aftermarket one for that much. But yea a 94 has the Bose as an option.
                      -Rico

Comment

Now heres my .02...and i claim to be no expert...but....
                        If you really wanted to you could store your t-tops in the back seat i did that when i had my 3 10" box back there...you can fold the seat down and lay them on the seat...i'd carry around a towel or something to put inbetween them so that they dont scratch(they will overlap a little bit).

Once you isntall the 6.9s your cant really put the stock stuff back in because of the cutting you do to the panel. thats the only reason i woudln't put them in...Its not a downgrade(depending on how good of 6x9s you have, if its some kind of cheapo walmart stuff i'd be careful). The ones we put in the Z28 gave a little bit better sound...somethign you probably wont notice with the subs being back there ...because its gonna be pretty drown out by your bass...the back passengers(or your t-tops) will befenit form the 6x9s the most. I'd definitly upgrade the front and middle speakers and get tweaters installed. My trans am came stock with tweeters in teh door panels so that wasn't a prob for me. I plan on getting my component system upgraded soon.
                        Now as far as the monsoon and stock CD player....I dont know a 4th gen year that they didn't offer CD player option. The early 4th gens offered the Bose sound system which sounded REALLY good i think. The late 4th gens had the Monsoon option and I'm really not impressed with the monsoon. From what i've heard people have trouble with blowing the speakers cause they are papercone speakers. I upgraded to JL audios for the middle woofers cause mine blew. The CD player that goes with those two systems you also have to be careful of. They work good but many people(including me) have problems with the lights that light up the buttons burning out. I dont know how easy it is to replace them, I haven't tried. I usually ended up putting an aftermarket cd-player in anyways. I like MP3 decks...The one in my 98 TA hasn't given me problems with the lights but the display gets scrammbled from time to time and the dealer said it would be around $300 to repair it and i'd be out a radio for 14 days. I could easily upgrade to an aftermarket one for that much. But yea a 94 has the Bose as an option.
                        Apretiate it. After I get my car, I guess I'll just have to go talk to my local car toys shop and see their suggestions.

Comment

wow you know i'm perfectely happy with teh stock stero set up, although i am looking for an mp3/XM radio to replace the stock one. but the speakers their enough for me :-) but it does look pretty boss! you should put ascreen over it and make it look like theirs notheirn their! like you just got an amp
                          1997 Camaro, Z-28, 5.7, Manual 6, K&N cold air intake, custom ram air scoop, ported MAF, Resonator plug, air foil, 160 thermostat, hypertech power programer 3, 3 inch cat-back exhaust, strut tower brace, K&N valve breather, centerforce dual friction clutch, slp short throw shifter, TNL short stick, O2 simulators, Next mod will be 1.6 rockers, pushrods, and springs. any reccomendations?

Comment

Re: Stealth box is in...!!!!!!!!

That's pretty tight, but I could NEVER advertise $500 like that so easily seen in the back window! Especially when we have been vandalised/victims of theft a few months ago, and the only place to park is out front in the street!

Comment

Re: Re: Stealth box is in...!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Fast Mother
                              That's pretty tight, but I could NEVER advertise $500 like that so easily seen in the back window! Especially when we have been vandalised/victims of theft a few months ago, and the only place to park is out front in the street!
                              Yea I know...but limo-tint on the windows is getting put on real soon...for now sometime i lay the thing in the hatch over it...u know that big long thing that pivots across the hatch... anyways the car is usually on the AF base in front of work(i work alot) so its pretty safe...
                              -Rico

Comment

This is exactly why I wish they made a cover that goes over the entire hatch area for our cars. Of course, I'd rather have the 255 lph fuel pump, the 12 bolt, and the power window motors covered under a recall first, but while they're at it they could throw in a cover....

The #1 problem you should be worried about is heat. Your amp is cooking in the sun like that. You need to cover it with something and run a fan on it. You jam on that system long enough, and it's going to shut down. That amp is probably seeing internal temperatures of 130-140 degrees, and that could start cooking the PC board. I use the factory hatch panel to cover up my amp rack so that doesn't happen. And I have tinted windows. With no tint on your glass right now, you're amp should have "Self Cleaning Oven" emblems on it, not "JL"

Also, you need to jack it up off the floor of that package tray with some spacers of some sort. This allows air to flow underneath the amp to keep it cooler. That carpet is preventing any air from getting under the amp, and that's going to cause it to overheat even faster. But sunlight is public enemy #1 for amplifiers.
                                "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

Working...
                                X