Cold Air Induction

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold Air Induction

What proven benefits does a cold air induction system offer (i.e HP and torque)? Is it really worth buying the system vs just a K&N filter or similar filter? Any thoughts are appreciated.

For what kind of car?
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

2003 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3 V8

Comment

You probably can count on about 7 to 10HP from the improved air flow. I've seen test on the 4.8 and 5.3 LS1 based Silverado engines (I have the 4.8 in my 2001 Silverado "tow vehicle") that showed that kind of improvement. Upgrading the exhaust system at the same time will probably produce the best combined gains. On an LT1 F-Body, a cold air package and cat-back exhaust is worth about 3/10's in the 1/4-mile.

The air path on the Silverados, from the big filter box to the throttle body is sort of convoluted and restrictive. Eliminating that pressure drop can not hurt. A K&N would probably only produce 30-40% of the gain you would see with a complete cold air package.

You need to decide if you want to keep going after the "nickle and dime" type improvements, or just drop a Magnacharger or Kenne Bell S/C on it and produce some real gains....
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

morroso ?

are the morroso cold air kits that year one sell any good or should i go for a k&n also is there a airfoil for the lt1?
          http://www.pontiacdriversclub.co.uk/ keeping it pontiac in the the uk. 93 formula a4 ZR1 rims
          C A I , B M R torque arm lower arms panhard rod and sub frame conectors borla adjustble with Q T P valve and no cat WHAT NEXT ?

big burn out movie nats 2003 burn out contest
          mirror burn out movie top ten burn outs

Comment

I got mine from Year One. They are local to me and the guy who started it went to my hish school. Lyn and I can't begin to spell his last name.

I'm thrilled with the performance of the Moroso one.
            http://www.moroso.com/catalog/catego...?CatCode=34001 I had some problems getting it installed. I had to cut about 3/4" off the tube on the MAF end to get it to fit. It fits fine now. There was something I didn't care for with the K&N but I don't remember what it was. I think it was the plate to mount the filter to the car was plastic and the Moroso is steel.
            2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Working...
            X