here is a tire question directed to wolfman

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• here is a tire question directed to wolfman

i have a genral knowledge about tires and the way they work. my question to you is: on a 4th gen fbody, how much tire is too much? i know that a foot print is directly related to traction. and also that wide tires are good to a point, until you get too wide, and the weight of the car is spread out too much on the tire and it hampers traction. what is the best tire wheel combo for getting the most pressure per square inch on the road, with out being left spinning on too narrow of a tire?
    2000 WS6 T/A M6. Monster stage 3 clutch, flowmaster cat back, 4.10's, SLP lid, Hurst shifter.
    1996 Mustang GT 5 speed STOCK DD
    past rides:
    1996 Mustang GTS bright tangerine orange
    2003 Mach 1 azure blue drag car (10.90@118 record holder for fastest N/A mach)
    1969 Mach 1 house of colors candy apple red393 stroker 100 shot (10.829@125 in street trim)
    2003 Mach 1 Torched red FRPP aluminator/vortech 666RWHP
    2008 Mustang GT JDM stroker long block, Saleen 2.3 twin screw
    1980 Mustang L 13.7: 418 stroker
    1994 Z28 A4 rebuilt from wreck
    1994 Z28 A4 totaled

The wider the tire the more friction it creats. I know it might not seem much but for a handling point you'll notice the Vettes have some what norrower tires in the front (245) compared to the back (275) but you won't be able to rotate them. The Vette has an almost 50/50 weight distribution with its transmission being in the back by the differential.
    315 seems to be the max. most people run around here and fit right as long as you don't get any wheel interferance. I can't imagine you'd need Viper sized tires (345). That I think would be too much!

Ken should be able to give you more techical pointers.
    Hes the tire man!
    LT4KM, 160' TS, MAF ends, TB-bs, 1.6 R/R, SLP CAI, LCA, tierod, 17x9"F/R, 275/40R17 tires. WS6 Muffler, LS1 DS. 21mm rear sway bar. Soon to be LT4 heads, intake, & HOT cam

Comment

The answer will depend on the intended purpose. There will be one answer for straight line traction as in drag racing and straight line braking, there is one answer for cornering.

For drag racing what you want is a contact patch that is longer from front to back. This will mean a taller tire, not necessarily wider. This creates a tread contact patch that is biased from front to rear which is exactly what you want for dragstrip traction or straight line braking.

For cornering you want a tire that creates a side to side bias which will mean that you want a tire that is wider, not necessarily taller. A 315/35/17 is an ideal tire for cornering as it creates a wide footprint from side to side, but not front to back. A 275/60/15 will create a good front to rear contact patch for drag racing, but won't be the ticket for cornering. Does that help?

Comment

the posts above me make very valid points and hold good tech content.

for overall performance, on the 4th gen f body, the 315/35/17 on 11" rims in back, and 275 or 285 /40r17's in front make the best all around traction combo. due to the front/rear weight distribution, the v8 f body's rear tends to "slide out" rather quickly...or "break loose". the 315's on 11" rims help it stay planted. they wont work on the front..but..then you dont need them up front.

running the proper tire pressure is the key factor........ unless you are driving high speed for long periods of time... in all the above tire sizes quoted, 30psi rear, 32psi front.......gives the best performance and max contact patch. o.e. placard says "30" front... you get the same footprint with 32, and its more stable in holding the foot print on hard corners. it's hard to "over-tire" cars like the vet, viper, v8 f body, mustang cobra, gt, etc... but i can be done.. on dry pavement... over-tired cars usually do ok...its the wet pavement that brings the danger.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
        Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
        sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Goodyear says:

"On February 6, 2004, it will be a new day for drivers everywhere. You have our Assurance".

(well sure it will..........it will for everybody........LOL...)

but...they go on:

"Rain will feel less wet, ice will feel less slick, dry roads will feel easier to handle, and rough roads will feel smoother and quieter".

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

guess we'll find out, eh?

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
          Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
          sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Working...
          X