"Null Zone" in Steering wheel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Null Zone" in Steering wheel

I'm having a bit of an annoyance with a "null zone" in my steering. It's almost an inch to either side of center. What's the chance that this it's the rag joint?

If so, I've seen the rag joint eliminator kit, but I'm hesitent to use it on my car since I've also heard that the rag joint is there for safety purposes. I do not want to significantly comprimise safety. So I may just go with a replacement if that's the case. But it's difficult to make a decision without more info.

I also have a bit of give in the steering column tilt adjustment...I think if I take it in, I'll have this fixed as well.
    Joe K.
    '11 BMW 328i
    '10 Matrix S AWD
    Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Have you tried this? http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#rack_preload

I'm not sure about that rag joint eliminator either. It has to be there for a reason. You won't find a mechanical engineer in the world that will add something to add cost for no reason.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

My Caprice has the same problem but much worse, the wheel can turn about 1/4 in either direction with little effect on the steering.

1994 Firebird Formula 138,000 Completly Stock

1995 Caprice 9c1 61,000
      2001 Intrigue GL

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28

I'm not sure about that rag joint eliminator either. It has to be there for a reason. You won't find a mechanical engineer in the world that will add something to add cost for no reason.
        There must be some at GM ... can we say Computer assisted gear selection?

Comment

There was a reason for the CAGS. It was to keep from having to pay $1000 fine per car because it didn't pass a minimum gas mileage test.
          2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

my car is like this too ... but its only on one side like i can turn it about an inch left and it has no effect but not on the right side
            -Nick-
            95 A4 Z28

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
              Thanks!

Looks fairly straight forward...(I should learn not to say that)...I'm not too familiar with the steering system. If the weather's not too bad this weekend (yeah right) I'll give it a try.
              Joe K.
              '11 BMW 328i
              '10 Matrix S AWD
              Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Got it up on a lift...Here's the diagnosis:

It's doesn't seem to be the steering rack preload or rag joint. Tie rods are looking ok too.

It's the u-joint between the rag joint and rack assembly that has some slack in it.

You can't get a replacement rag joint. It's a non-servicable part. Going to replace the "axle" containing the rag joint. That part includes the u-joint and rag joint. It's $190.

I'll find out Monday afternoon if this does the trick.
                Joe K.
                '11 BMW 328i
                '10 Matrix S AWD

Comment

Working...
                X