Comp T/A brake and tire question...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comp T/A brake and tire question...

I have a 96 Comp T/A, and have two related questions for all y'all smart people out there:

1. I picked up a nail in my rear tire, and need to replace it soon, even though it isn't leaking air (its near the sidewall). I bought the car used with BF Goodrich Comp T/A ZR rated tires on it, and have been pretty happy with them thus far. However, I've done some preliminary searching on the internet, and haven't been able to find them in 275/40-17's (or almost any size for that matter). I just called a local Discount Tire here in San Diego, and the guy there (who sounded pretty knowledgable) said that the ZR-rated Comp T/A's were discontinued and replaced with G-force KDW's? My understanding of the Pontiac Comp T/A was that it was built (at least partially) to commemorate the BFG Comp T/A's 25th anniversary or somethings... therefore, I would like to stick with the "Comp T/A" theme if possible. I've seen some other types of BFG Comp T/A tires, but they look more like mud/snow tires to me than the tread pattern on the ZR's I'm running now. Does anyone know if these tires are still available, and where I could find a set?

2. I tried to have my rear pads and rotors replaced the other day at a local shop, but the rotors their system listed for a "96 Pontiac Firebird / Trans Am" wouldn't fit on my rear lugs/hub. The double checked the part number and pulled another set, but still no luck. Does anyone know if the brake pads/rotors on a Comp T/A are different than a Trans Am from the same year (1996)? If so, how do I go about finding the correct rotors/pads for a decent price? Does Pontiac sell them directly? SLP? Aftermarket?

Thanks for all your help guys.

Re: Comp T/A brake and tire question...

Originally posted by MXRacer
    I have a 96 Comp T/A, and have two related questions for all y'all smart people out there:

1. I picked up a nail in my rear tire, and need to replace it soon, even though it isn't leaking air (its near the sidewall). I bought the car used with BF Goodrich Comp T/A ZR rated tires on it, and have been pretty happy with them thus far. However, I've done some preliminary searching on the internet, and haven't been able to find them in 275/40-17's (or almost any size for that matter). I just called a local Discount Tire here in San Diego, and the guy there (who sounded pretty knowledgable) said that the ZR-rated Comp T/A's were discontinued and replaced with G-force KDW's? My understanding of the Pontiac Comp T/A was that it was built (at least partially) to commemorate the BFG Comp T/A's 25th anniversary or somethings... therefore, I would like to stick with the "Comp T/A" theme if possible. I've seen some other types of BFG Comp T/A tires, but they look more like mud/snow tires to me than the tread pattern on the ZR's I'm running now. Does anyone know if these tires are still available, and where I could find a set?

2. I tried to have my rear pads and rotors replaced the other day at a local shop, but the rotors their system listed for a "96 Pontiac Firebird / Trans Am" wouldn't fit on my rear lugs/hub. The double checked the part number and pulled another set, but still no luck. Does anyone know if the brake pads/rotors on a Comp T/A are different than a Trans Am from the same year (1996)? If so, how do I go about finding the correct rotors/pads for a decent price? Does Pontiac sell them directly? SLP? Aftermarket?

Thanks for all your help guys.
    the CompTA ZR is not made anymore. your source is correct. the BF goodrich g force kdw replaces it. its the same tread pattern with enhanced sidewall and beltpackage refinements. i just put a set on the front of my CompTA build #139 in Nov.

yes, the CompTA was built to honor the 25th anniversary of the bf goodrich compta radial..the first true performance tire. and no..those other model compta tires wont do my friend.

and no...the CompTA does not have different rotors and pads than the TA and Formula built in 1996. I know......trust me.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Thanks wolfman...

I appreciate the info.

GK

Comment

Working...
      X