Engine Rebuild

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Rebuild

Well, I'm planning on doing an engine rebuild on my 91 Camaro (5.0L TBI, 175,000 miles) at college since I have the opportunity to. I am just wondering how far you guys think I should go with it. I could go all out and get a Master Kit at NAPA for $670 or I could just buy what I know I will at least need (gaskets, bearings, rings, etc). I am not really looking for high performance, just something that will last. Any advice or tips?
    1991 Chevy Camaro RS (Is it plum or purple?)
    Engine: 305 TBI (L03)
    Trans: TH700R4
    Mods: Some

CarDomain Site

I'd go to the the local junkyard and find a good 350 core, and go from there. all your top end will bolt right up including your 305 heads which will actually increase the compression ratio with the smaller chambers. Only thing that you'd have to do is have a new chip burned to take advantage of the extra displacement. Just make sure to get a good cam- stockers on TBI motors are junk. You can find a block for prolly $250 and will end up much happier I think.

Comment

I thought about putting a 350 in but I can't becuase in my college class we HAVE to rebuild an engine. I'm stuck with the 305 for now (which is okay by me).

CarDomain Site

Comment

Originally posted by Benm109
        I thought about putting a 350 in but I can't becuase in my college class we HAVE to rebuild an engine. I'm stuck with the 305 for now (which is okay by me).
        so, rebuild a junkyard 350. 305 is a waste of time.

Comment

Try to convince them to let you rebuild a 350. The 305 was discontinued for a reason .

Comment

It's too late for me to get a 350 now, we start on Monday. Also, the engine had to be in a car which means I would of had to buy a car and I just bought the one I have now 4 months ago. Thanks for the input, though, I would love to put a 350 in it. Someday.

CarDomain Site

Comment

In that case, i'd just buy a master overhaul kit from your local auto parts store, as it's gonna have everything you need to rebuild your 305, except pistons, cam, etc. Fel-Pro is a good choice for gasket sets. Maybe TRW or Federal Mogul for pistons. Like I said before, the stock cams are as round as golf balls on TBI motors, so you may want to upgrade to a decent cam by Crane or Comp (It's like $100)- I'd probably go with a 270 degree cam. You're probably replacing lifters so you may want to go with a cam/lifter set like Edelbrock makes- Even these are only like $160. When you have your heads resurfaced, have em deck them down a few thousandths, you may be able to get 9.5 compression if you're lucky (stock is like 8.0 I think) If I remember correctly, it's roughly 20HP for every point of compression, so this is an easy way to get a little extra uumph, as you're probably having your heads remachined anyway.

Good luck with your rebuild and hope this helps-

Comment

Summit has some good kits and believe it or not, JCWhitney has some good basic kits as well.

96 TA Sold!
                87 TA Sold!
                80 Z28 Sold!
                74 Formula Sold!
                73 Z28 Sold!
                69 Camaro Not Sold!

Comment

Stay stock.....I would do the best rebuild you can do. To hell with the 350. I have an 82 berrilnetta w/ a 350 (FAR from stock) and a 100% stock 82 Z28 with a 305. the Z28 is slopwer and has more miles, but is still worth more. When and if you go to sell your car, the more stock it is, the more money it is worth. Regarding the bearings gaskets and seals compared to the master rebuild...I would do the master. New forged pisons, rods, and you get all of your gaskets too.
                  82 camaro x2:
                  82 z28 w/ 305 (for now) 4 speed saginaw
                  82 berrlinetta with 350 .060 over...3 speed auto

The Z28 is back under the knife, after the transmission, now its the entire engine....will post pics when all finished.

Comment

Couple of things to look out for

The 305 stock cyl head is notoriously thin, and prone to cracking. Have yours magnafluxed, or just replace them with a set of World Products 305 torquers.

The cam is a factory roller, so you could re-use your lifters, but with those miles it would be pushing it.

Overall stick with a good quality set of gaskets, and make sure that you are getting the correct year parts. 87 and up is completely different in a lot of ways. If you feel the need to pick a place to splurge, go for Fel-Pro gaskets, and Clevite bearings. Have fun.

-Paul

WickedLT1's Home on the Web - Wicked Pictures
                    95 - Trans Am - LT1 - 6Speed
                    Car Status: Hmm, winter projects coming up...

Comment

Well, I am now in the process of rebuilding the engine. I decided to bore the cylinders .030 over to get some more performance out of the motor (they had to be bored anyway). I am also getting a master kit from a local engine parts store, too. Now that I have larger pistons, though, am I going to have to upgrade anything else? I was thinking about getting a new cam but I have hydraulic rollers and I am not sure if I can find one cheap enough and soon enough.

CarDomain Site

Comment

Working...
                      X