Introduction and LS1/LT1 question.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introduction and LS1/LT1 question.

Hey guys... I was a member of this site a few years ago, when I owned a 96Z, M6 black, tan leather interior, t-tops, etc. I unfortunatly had to sell the car when work required me to have a truck. Glad to be back on the site though.

I am in the market for another F-body. I obviously want an LS1, but I prefer the pre 98' body style....

I imagine that swapping an LS1 into an LT1 car is a matter of swapping wiring harness, computer, and engine... not too difficult, right? Have any of you done this, and what was the most difficult part(s)?

Thanks in advance.

im curious too

I too like the pre '98 body style ( trans am) but was wanting the performance of an LS1.
    Let me add on to his question.
    Which is easier: an overhaul that will give LS1 performance?
    Or swaping engines?

Im only asking because the milage is getting up there on my 93 TA

thanks
    93 Trans Am; Hooker Cat-back;
    Moroso cia; more to
    come...hopefully!

Comment

Seems a bit extreme to me. I too prefer the look of the pre 98 TA's. I would have rather had an LS1 but it really isn't that hard to make an LT1 fast either. For the money I would just build the LT1. I have seen wrecked LS1 cars go for as low as $1800 for organ donor purposes but I could make an LT1 seriously fast for that money.

Just my $.02

96 TA Sold!
      87 TA Sold!
      80 Z28 Sold!
      74 Formula Sold!
      73 Z28 Sold!
      69 Camaro Not Sold!

Comment

I don't know... one thing to consider is weight... The aluminum block of the LS1 is a serious weight savings... I think they say that losing 100 pounds will gain you a tenth in the quarter.. how much HP does it take to do this? The LS1 has a lot of potential... with around 330 stock horsepower. I am not a fan of 2-bolt mains either.. so I'd have to upgrade the block anyway on an LT1 before getting too wild.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has done the swap.

Comment

Screw that... just put a pre-98 fascia on a 98+ LS1 f-bod. Cheapest way to do that (not including the price of the car).

Although I prefer the 98+ f-bod and think you are all loony, but that is irrelevant
          Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Originally posted by JJ46
            I don't know... one thing to consider is weight... The aluminum block of the LS1 is a serious weight savings... I think they say that losing 100 pounds will gain you a tenth in the quarter.. how much HP does it take to do this?
            Or, Stick with the LT1 and swap out the stock A-arms and K-member for a tubular, light-weight one. You'll shed the 100 pounds and not have to change the front end parts to make it look like an older 4-gen. The conversion is very expensive. The LS1 tranny will not bolt up to the LT1 tranny, so you'll need to think about that too.
            Al 96 Ram Air T/A
            Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

Originally posted by JJ46
              I don't know... one thing to consider is weight... The aluminum block of the LS1 is a serious weight savings... I think they say that losing 100 pounds will gain you a tenth in the quarter.. how much HP does it take to do this? The LS1 has a lot of potential... with around 330 stock horsepower. I am not a fan of 2-bolt mains either.. so I'd have to upgrade the block anyway on an LT1 before getting too wild.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has done the swap.
              think it's 10 rwhp to gain 1 tenth at the 1/4

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
              Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
              B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
              Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
              Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

I agree with Jay. I've seen a few a few 97's that had the front hood, bumper, fascia, side panels, whatever from a 98. you can't tell the difference.

so just do the opposite. go get you a nice 2001 Ws6 and put a 97 ws6 front end on it. i think that would be much easier than an engine swap.

Comment

Originally posted by briantech
                  I agree with Jay. I've seen a few a few 97's that had the front hood, bumper, fascia, side panels, whatever from a 98. you can't tell the difference.

so just do the opposite. go get you a nice 2001 Ws6 and put a 97 ws6 front end on it. i think that would be much easier than an engine swap.
                  Absolutely correct.. and less butchery involved too. This is the only way to go.

I prefer the pre 98 look better also. I understand your goal exactly!

Comment

Hey JJ46, I got all the parts you need and am in the KC area also! If you decide to get an LS1 and de-LS1 the exterior, look me up, maybe we could do some swappin'. (Just try to get a black one and it HAS TO have the ram air hood .

Seriously, I do think that would be the best way to get what you are wanting, I'd love to get my hands on an LS1, but I've got too much invested in my blower and a few other non-transferable parts to upgrade without getting killed on the deal. It's also getting pretty hard to find even LS1's with less than 25k on the clock!

Flash - '97 Black WS/6, Intercooled Powerdyne 11# , LTCC Coil Per Cylinder Ignition, OPTI High Voltage Deleted, 160, Short Stick, BMR-STB, adjustable Shocks, PP+ w/scan, !CAGS, Flowmaster 3" cat-back... 43k miles as of Aug. 2006

**-** BOOST, it's no replacement for displacement, and there's definitely no replacement for having both!

Comment

I don't beleive the front clip for an LT1 will fit on an LS1. This is due to different dimensions of the engine and mountings etc. That's why they had to elongate the front of the LS1 cars slightly to make room for the LS1 engine. My thoughts would be to go to the TA esp the WS6. I think it is one of the baddest looking F-bods ever. I don't much like the LS1 Camaros. I think they look kinda "fish-like" but they are still sweet cars.......Anywhoo hope this helped........Later

96 Z28 A4, K&N CAI, 3.42 gears, Exhaust Cut Out. Best ET 14.02 -R.I.P. 95 Formula-

Comment

I don't beleive the front clip for an LT1 will fit on an LS1. This is due to different dimensions of the engine and mountings etc. That's why they had to elongate the front of the LS1 cars slightly to make room for the LS1 engine. My thoughts would be to go to the TA esp the WS6. I think it is one of the baddest looking F-bods ever. I don't much like the LS1 Camaros. I think they look kinda "fish-like" but they are still sweet cars.......Anywhoo hope this helped........Later
                        thats... weird. so a 98+ body can fit on a 97-, but not the other way around? that doesnt make much sense.

Comment

From what I read it is becuase the LS1 engine has larger dimensions than the LT1 hence the LT1 body would have clearence issues. This is why the LS1 front end is a little more "bubbly" than the LT1s. I'm not a hundred percent sure this is correct but this is what I've read and it seems logical............Later

96 Z28 A4, K&N CAI, 3.42 gears, Exhaust Cut Out. Best ET 14.02 -R.I.P. 95 Formula-

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Nice Guy
                            From what I read it is becuase the LS1 engine has larger dimensions than the LT1 hence the LT1 body would have clearence issues. This is why the LS1 front end is a little more "bubbly" than the LT1s. I'm not a hundred percent sure this is correct but this is what I've read and it seems logical............Later
                            I'm almost posative that...........

The front ends of the 2 styles are structurally identical, ecxept for the upper radiator support. Clearance is not an issue.

can someone prove/disprove this for sure?

Comment

Working...
                            X