Thinking Of getting an F-Body, someone convince me

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking Of getting an F-Body, someone convince me

Well id like to say 1st of all, ive driven a 4th gen 94 automatic. Was pretty nice. I currently drive an 92 Stealth R/T Non-Turbo but nicly modified to the point where it spins tires so bad its not worth puttin any more money into it. *yes motor mods* not just intake/exhaust, Im currently have narrowed my search for a new car down to a DSM *Talon/Eclipse/Laser* AWD-Turbo because i know for about 5-6k u can pick up a 12 sec car. Or make one into it for about that. They are cheap to make go fast and AWD = for a deadly combo. But since my friend ........... let me drive his 94 way back ive always like the looks/sound of them and the performance. But ive been looking and all the 4th gens have a billion miles on them for about 6k im looking for one, but someone convice me that i need one. Pros-Cons, B4 the stealth i was driving a 85 Covette with the L98, b4 that i had a Buick Grand National, so ya i like it all. Input will be greatly apreciated.

here is my input, i know this guy, and he drove my old Z. it was fairly stock (gears, flowmaster) it was a low 14 second car, and it was driven hard. it was a good strong car, so him memories are based of a car that was in good shape.

i am trying to convince him that F-bodies can be made just as fast for the money, if not faster. and that fixing one is cheaper than the awd cars.

this guy is onthe fence and can go either way. I did get him to join this board, so thats one step in the right direction.
    2000 WS6 T/A M6. Monster stage 3 clutch, flowmaster cat back, 4.10's, SLP lid, Hurst shifter.
    1996 Mustang GT 5 speed STOCK DD
    past rides:
    1996 Mustang GTS bright tangerine orange
    2003 Mach 1 azure blue drag car (10.90@118 record holder for fastest N/A mach)
    1969 Mach 1 house of colors candy apple red393 stroker 100 shot (10.829@125 in street trim)
    2003 Mach 1 Torched red FRPP aluminator/vortech 666RWHP
    2008 Mustang GT JDM stroker long block, Saleen 2.3 twin screw
    1980 Mustang L 13.7: 418 stroker
    1994 Z28 A4 rebuilt from wreck
    1994 Z28 A4 totaled

Comment

Dude, it all depend on your preference. I have jumped from 94 Z to an Eclipse, to a 97 WS6 and then to a WRX and now I am back with a 98 TA and Im gettin rid of it soon too. But to go to an older car and nothing faddish.

I think with either of the cars mentioned, you will run into vehicles with high mileage, it is just a matter of preference I think. If you like to be rocketed from a standstill, get the AWD DSM, but if you enjoy smoky burnouts, get the F-body. The DSM is better handling, while the torque of the F-body is much better than the DSM. Parts for both are not hard to find. The LT1 is a bear to work on. I have never worked on a turbo DSM. My eclipse was N/A. The older DSMs, 91-94 are a little more rare.

Good luck

Comment

I've had them both as well. Second car was a 94 Formula auto, third a 5 speed decently modded 95 TSi AWD, and fourth and current, a 6 speed 96 Z28..

I really miss the Talon, maybe it's because it's winter, and there's snow everywhere!

But to sell my Talon and get the Z tells you something... I love them both, and I will get a 1g AWD soon.

There's nothing like lighting the tires up on command, and the rumble of the 350 with an exhaust, and there's nothing like the whiiiiiiirirrrrrrrrrrr PSSSSHHHHH of the turbo and AWD launches at 4,500 rpm's.

I need both!!!

http://www.cousinlarry.com is my site with my car pics and vids and stuff if you're bored.
        99 SS, MTI Lid, 3.90 gears, Hurst shifter, DMH 3" e-cutout

Comment

ok, here is another question, hows the reliablity issue on a 4th gen? The DSM's arent that great they blow up tranni's alot from what peolpe tell me. How much does it cost to make a 4th gen go say low 13s high 12s? Meaning is becuase i dont want to have to rebuild another motor in 20k. 100k fine, but not 20k. So i want to know how reliable the 4th gens are.

Comment

i had to do head gaskets on my last Z after 115K and my driving didnt help them any. when i had hte heads off the bore was clean and no ridge. as long as hte oil is kept full and clean they will last a long time
            2000 WS6 T/A M6. Monster stage 3 clutch, flowmaster cat back, 4.10's, SLP lid, Hurst shifter.
            1996 Mustang GT 5 speed STOCK DD
            past rides:
            1996 Mustang GTS bright tangerine orange
            2003 Mach 1 azure blue drag car (10.90@118 record holder for fastest N/A mach)
            1969 Mach 1 house of colors candy apple red393 stroker 100 shot (10.829@125 in street trim)
            2003 Mach 1 Torched red FRPP aluminator/vortech 666RWHP
            2008 Mustang GT JDM stroker long block, Saleen 2.3 twin screw
            1980 Mustang L 13.7: 418 stroker
            1994 Z28 A4 rebuilt from wreck
            1994 Z28 A4 totaled

Comment

With proper maintenance any vehicle will last 100k miles. But with constant pounding and the sometimes lack of proper maintenance, that timeframe will be reduced.

It wont take more than the main bolt ons to get the 4th gen into the 13s, but to go any further with the LT1, a tad bit more is involved. I couldnt tell you what is involved, but look at some of these guys with their LT1 cars and what they have done to get theirs to where they are.

Good luck

Comment

I agree on having them both. If snow was a concern then an AWD would be cool. A bone stock 4th gen should be at 13.5. There are low milage cars out there for $6-9 if you are patient.

I hear that Mitsus have reliability problems and bad dealer support but if you beat on any car, stuff is going to break.

I love the hard acceleration through all the gears that my TA has.

96 TA Sold!
                87 TA Sold!
                80 Z28 Sold!
                74 Formula Sold!
                73 Z28 Sold!
                69 Camaro Not Sold!

Comment

The f-bods are a very special part of American muscle car history IMO. I grew up with the Camaros, Firebirds and Mustangs going for bragging rights. I will never forget the first time a '67 Camaro slammed me back in the seat.....what a rush to a 17 year old kid!

Regardless of what car you own, there is always one that is going to be faster, but for overall fun factor, mod potential and uniqueness, it's hard to beat the f-bod.

When I bought a Z06 last fall, I thought about selling my '95 Bird......for a very brief while. That car has been a joy to drive, and most importantly, it brought me into a group of f-bod folks who are some of the best folks in the world......many of whom I consider as members of my extended family.
                  DWS
                  Silver M6 '95 Formula-sold to MCKNBRD

Zaino all the way!!

'03 Z06....Donaldson Blackwing, CAGS, '04 Z06 shocks, ceramic pads

Comment

I paid $3,300 for my 94 Formula loaded w/t-tops 133,000miles, still runs near perfect with the exeption of a minor intake oil leak. They are unbelivable cars, I hate it when the weather is bad and I have too drive my 2.8 fwd Cutlass. Even with the stock exhaust I get a very nice rumble from that V-8.

1994 Firebird Formula 138,000 Completly Stock

1995 Caprice 9c1 61,000
                    2001 Intrigue GL

Comment

Maybe the most constructive thing I can say is to go find a decent, well taken car of V8 and drive it. My car has 113k on the clock and well maintained. No show stopper problems yet! I replaced the optispark distrubuter and waterpump to be on the safe side.

The fold down rear seat and hatchback have been invaluable in the utility department as this is my only car. It's handled a really bad Jersey winter very well!

What really made me fall in love with the car though is the driving experience and the legacy. It's the closest thing to a modern high performance pony car out there.

Flaws to look for are waterpump, coolent change on sked (it will gum up if not done), optispark, window motors. The engine itself has proven to be very durable. Only real weakness is the rear differential on a highly modified car.

I was originaly looking for a DSM Turbo car too, but I guess Im just a sucker for a torquey V8.
                      Joe K.
                      '11 BMW 328i
                      '10 Matrix S AWD
                      Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Buy an f-bod, you won't regret it!

Comment

I bought an 86 IROC 5.0 auto in 92. It was my first experience with a sports car, I thought it was the fastest thing on wheels. Until I bought my Formula 6 spd a year later with 2 miles on the odometer. That thing was a blast to drive. I did little things, homemade ram air, bypassed the TB from teh coolant, rockers, 3.73s, chip, Mickey Thompsons, gutted cat and a Flowmaster. i gotta tell you, with all that little stuff, my best time was a 12.8x @ 106.xx (memory isn't what it used to be). I spent next to nothing (3500 Moser ford 9 inch being the biggest expense) to get that sucker going (it went 13.8x @ 102.xx bone stock) and it sounded liek I don't know what. Well, since 95, I've had 6 Mustangs ranging from 89 - 01 and now i am finally back where I belong...behind the wheel of a 95 T/A.

Sure, the DSMs can run like hell, but they break...a lot. They have that little 4 cylinder buzzsaw sound. They are cramped for us guys over 6 feet. I dunno...I think you just have to have a passion for V8s to make a decision, I mean they both go fast, just differnt approaches. I'm biased towards 8s......

ok enough rambling, buy the F-body!

besides, chicks dig'em!
                          1998 TA M6 SLP Lid, Cold Air and Bellow, Flowmaster 3", Centerforce DF, Fast Toys MAF ends, JET skip shift eliminator 312rwhp/366rwtq

92 Lincoln Mark VII LSC For Sale

Visit Central Jersey Mustangs & Fords

Comment

Working...
                          X