help -- first time replacing disk brake pads

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help -- first time replacing disk brake pads

Okay, I have changed drum brakes enough times in my 37 years of driving to work at Midas (haha). But have never changed disk pads myself. And the ragtop is due, soon. (Planning to go to ceramic pads)

Something a disk brake repalcement 'virgin' can do himself with maybe some help from the 18 year old son? Suggestions? Pitfalls? Ideas?

Thanks
    2000 Z-28 Convertible, neutral leather interior and neutral top, hotchkis STB, SLP Bowtie Grill, WhisperLid, K&N, cold air induction

Yea, one comment. Before you squeeze the piston back in, get a brake line clamp and clamp the line. Then loosen the bleeder and press the piston back in. Do not press the piston in without clamping the line. A friend of mine did it and it pushed some crap back up into the antilock mechanism and is causing all kind of problems. He can't get the crap out of it now and it pulls to the left when he hits the brakes.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Thanks for that bit of info. I will keep it in mind. Any other ideas/thoughts, anyone????
      2000 Z-28 Convertible, neutral leather interior and neutral top, hotchkis STB, SLP Bowtie Grill, WhisperLid, K&N, cold air induction

Comment

Make sure you use anti-squeal compound or pads on the backs of the brake pads.

Comment

Check out Install University They have step by step instructions. I used them on my 2000 TA and found them to be accurate and complete. Its not complicated really, just time consuming. If possible go with ceramic pads as they dust less and stop better usually. When I did mine my rears werent available in ceramic that I could find so i went with semi metallic and they dust horrible and squeal some too. My fronts however barely dust at all and are great! I replaced my rotors with KVR cross drilled cad plated replacements and put new pads all around. I torqued my wheels and with about a year on them ( about 5000 miles) no warping of rotors to this point. Be sure to torque your wheels! If you don't have a torque wrench get one! They can usually be rented for free ( refundable deposit) at pep boys, autozone or other chain parts stores.

Comment

Working...
          X