Ravin Exhaust on an LS1?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ravin Exhaust on an LS1?

I recently went to Midas to get flowmaster exhuast put on my 98 WS6(mostly because I had a single pipe). Well after talking to the guy who told me they had flowmaster I found out he lied and they had Ravin products only.

I put the Ravin muffler on with dual pipes. After looking at the muffler it looks kind of small to me. I had one installed on my V6 camaro a while back and it was really nice for that car. Looks about the same size as the one they put on my LS1.

From time to time(depends on what kind of RPMs i'm cranking out) I start to smell a funny smell, kind of a burning or combustion smell). I'm not sure really how prodominent this smell is I just got it done yesterday. It doesn't sound as amazing as I thought it would either.

Does anyone know if maybe the Ravin muffler I got isn't fit for my car? Could I have made things more restrictive with going with that system? If so I think I need to find hard proff and specs somewhere and go back to Midas and have my stock stuff put back on(that I dont have by the way).
    -Rico

Click here to visit my CarDomain page!

01 Camaro Convertable, A4, White, Audiobahn 12" subs and amp 800W/RMS,Xenon
    98 TA/WS6, M6, All options,stock with minor mods, stealth JL Audio-Sold
    98 Camaro, V6, A4, Silver, Xenon Body kit, white guages, MTX system, custom interior SOLD
    94 Camaro, 3.4L, M5, Quasar Blue, SOLD

Reading through a couple of f-body forums over the last 6 months I never red about a Ravin exhaust.

Usually if it doesn't get mentioned a lot it's no good, or brand spanking new.

So I don't really know but then there are a lot of things I don't know.
    97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

From what I have read you don't have to worry for too long,it will be completely rusted out by the end of the summer[If you're lucky].

I looked for specs also and didn't manage to find any.

One of my sponsors wanted to install one on my car insted of the 2OTL,I passed on the offer.

Maybe putting yours back on would be a good move.

From what I gather this is the new Thrush Hush !!!!!!!
      94 Z28/UltraZ Hood & Box/1 1/2 Drop/52mmTB & Bypass/160 Stat/Pulley/ Catback & pipe/Kirkey seats/5 point belts/WW Wing/Ford9"-4.11- Detroit locker-Strange axles/ZEKE'S Heads & LT4 HC/Stainless Headers & Y/1LE Panhard/BMR SFCs-STB-Relo Brackets-Tunnel Brace-Adj Tq arm- Sway bar- LCAs-PHB/ABARE RACING 4L60E/COAN 3200/Monster tach & light/DS Loop

19/09/04[M6]=12.392@113.518 / 1.802 60ft.

10/04/05[A4]=12.29@111.9 /1.652 60ft.

Comment

about the smell...my Magnaflow smelled quite a bit when I first got it...like a metallic burnt kinda smell. It went away after a few days...

Ravin, I heard of it before...even heard the exhuast note before too. Not exactly sure how well it holds up...but if you're not happy, take it back.

I'm happy with my Magnaflow...it's sounds stock crusing on the highway...but deep and loud when I need it to be. Though sometimes I wish it was louder...ie loudmouth.

How much did you pay in total??? Did they use a 3 inch connecting pipe???

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
        Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
        B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
        Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
        Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Originally posted by LimTeng99TransAm
          How much did you pay in total??? Did they use a 3 inch connecting pipe???
          There is a 3" in connecting pipe (he said my WS6 already had one.) For the muffler and labor and the tips it was dirt cheap I paid $222. It sounds okay, its only a little bit louder but its nothing like my friends flowmaster(he has an SS). I think it sounds kind of ricey and not throaty enough. I cant just take something like that back can I?
          -Rico

Click here to visit my CarDomain page!

01 Camaro Convertable, A4, White, Audiobahn 12" subs and amp 800W/RMS,Xenon
          98 TA/WS6, M6, All options,stock with minor mods, stealth JL Audio-Sold
          98 Camaro, V6, A4, Silver, Xenon Body kit, white guages, MTX system, custom interior SOLD
          94 Camaro, 3.4L, M5, Quasar Blue, SOLD

Comment

FYI http://www.goravin.com/sounds_main.html
            2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Working...
            X