new set of gears

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new set of gears

hello, been viewing these forums for quite some time but just registered an account. Ive got a 1994 firebird formula A4 car with 2.73s in the back. I managed to pull a 14.8 out of her at the drags which was painfully slow (still managed to beat my buddy's subaru.) I have started buying upgrades for my quest to get into the mid 13s. I got an SLP catback exhaust and an SLP CAI so far, haven't installed them yet. I'm now looking for a set of gears. I am positive I want 3.73s out back but I don't know what brand of gear to get. I noticed that SLP has them, but then I visited other sites that sold Motive and Strange gear sets. Is there any difference in the quality of the gears based on company to company?
    and could anyone guess what kind of times I would pull with those 3 mods installed on my car?
    94 Firebird Formula LE3 383 - Built 4L60E w/ 3500rpm stall - Macs into SLP LM - 3.73s in stock rear - having fun with problems

You have a series 2 differential in your car. You have 2 options. Get gears made for a series 2 differential. I think the ring is a bit thicker. Or get a 3 series differential and 3 series gears. There's really no advantage/disadvantage to the 2 series gears except that it may limit your choice of manufacturers as not all offer it.

I know Strange makes gears for a 2 series.

My 3.42's get ok milage. Although I don't have personal experience with 3.73's, I wonder if they'll really net you much more in the 1/4.

I bought mine from www.thunderracing.com. They had a package with a T/A rear diff cover and strange gears and the ratech rear end rebuild/install kit.
    Joe K.
    '11 BMW 328i
    '10 Matrix S AWD
    Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

going from 2.73 to 3.73 is a full ratio and will make a huge difference!! (you'll think it is a new car)

Comment

I went from 3.23s in my 93 and it was a blast to drive, picked up some mph on the top in 6th as well. i would strongly advise buying a rear end girdle, though. That 7.5 doesn't like torque and the ring gear is thinner compared to the stock ratios...

on a side note, I went from NJ to Vineyard Haven in Martha's Vineyard on a half tank of gas with the 3.73's...course I had the 6 speed...
        1998 TA M6 SLP Lid, Cold Air and Bellow, Flowmaster 3", Centerforce DF, Fast Toys MAF ends, JET skip shift eliminator 312rwhp/366rwtq

92 Lincoln Mark VII LSC For Sale

Visit Central Jersey Mustangs & Fords

Comment

i have a set of 3:73 brand new in the box gm motive gears with an instlall kit for sale. email me if interested. (go motive......or live with the whine)

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
          Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
          sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

thanks for the replies, I think I'll go with a set of strange series 2 gears off that thunderracing site. I absolutely can not wait to get this stuff installed.
            Also I noticed 2 of you guys are from NJ, do you ever go racing at island dragway in great meadows? thats the only strip i've gone to, been there at least 10 times.
            94 Firebird Formula LE3 383 - Built 4L60E w/ 3500rpm stall - Macs into SLP LM - 3.73s in stock rear - having fun with problems

Comment

I ran a 14.43 @ 99 MPH bone stock with only my ram air & my 2:73. After the installation of my 3:73 I went back and ran a 14.00 @ 102 MPH. HUGE DIFFERENCE! But make sure you go with Motive GM gears!! Don't go with anything else or they will whine!!
              Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

Working...
              X