LS6 Camaro or Firebird

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LS6 Camaro or Firebird

Where can I find info on a LS6 swapinto a F-Body?

Just buy a late production 02 model and you already have an LS6 block and intake manifold. Throw a set of LS6 heads on there, and there ya go

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan98T/A
      Just buy a late production 02 model and you already have an LS6 block and intake manifold. Throw a set of LS6 heads on there, and there ya go
      Sorta, but there is more than that.

Also the pistons are higher compression -- 10.5:1 as opposed to 10.1:1. The cam, valves, and springs are all different... and the computer would need to be re-programmed too.

There may still be more but I forget now...

As far as doing a swap goes -- any LS1tuner I think would be able to do it. But, I also think you would be throwing your money away. If you are going to do a whole engine swap, why not go for something that is going to give you more than just 50 HP??? Doesn't really seem worth it to me...
      Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Originally posted by Jay 02 TA ws6

Also the pistons are higher compression -- 10.5:1 as opposed to 10.1:1. The cam, valves, and springs are all different... and the computer would need to be re-programmed too.

As far as doing a swap goes -- any LS1tuner I think would be able to do it. But, I also think you would be throwing your money away. If you are going to do a whole engine swap, why not go for something that is going to give you more than just 50 HP??? Doesn't really seem worth it to me...

I realize that, I was just touching on the basics.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay 02 TA ws6

Exactly. Why dump your money on an LS6 when you can bore and stroke it to a 383?
          Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

only 50 hp? i thought the LS6 pumped out 405 hp.

Comment

Originally posted by viller84
              only 50 hp? i thought the LS6 pumped out 405 hp.
              Both engines are typically unerrated by their manufacturer's claims. The LS1 in the f-bodies really shows no less horsepower, other than by statistical fluctuations, than the LS1 that finds its way into the Corvette.

Typical power outputs are anywhere from 335 - 365 horsepower.

I am not sure about many dyno results for the LS6. I know it is underrated too, but I don't think it is by quite as much.
              Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Working...
              X