94 LT1 Z kicks and bucks....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 94 LT1 Z kicks and bucks....

My 94Z w/lt1 6 speed (all stock) bucks and sputters at low rpms in first geer. I had the distributer replaced once at about 60K or so and that solved the problem for a long time....now with 133,00 k, the problem has started up again. Also, any advice on a now wobly front suspension and steering that seems to take a little bit too much effort to turn the wheel? Might I also add that the reverse synchro is shot. Other than selling it ( I am original owner) any advice? Joe

"My 94Z w/lt1 6 speed (all stock) bucks and sputters at low rpms in first geer. I had the distributer replaced once at about 60K or so and that solved the problem for a long time....now with 133,00 k, the problem has started up again."

Sounds like it's time for a new OPTI.

"Also, any advice on a now wobly front suspension and steering that seems to take a little bit too much effort to turn the wheel?"

Check the rag joint. This is the thing that looks kind of like a U joint on the steering shaft under the hood.

"Might I also add that the reverse synchro is shot."

Reverse doesn't have a synchro. As transmissions get older, the bearings get a little stiffer. Try putting it in first then reverse. This will stop the idler shaft from spinning and allow it to go into reverse without grinding. Just make it a habbit.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

not to throw a fly in the ointment...

Gear Ratios:
      First 2.97:1, Second 2.07:1, Third 1.43:1, Forth 1.00:1, Fifth 0.80:1, Sixth 0.62:1, Reverse 3.28:1
      Design Torque Rating: 400 lb-ft
      Approx. Dry Weight: 125 lbs.
      Key Features:
      *Single-rail internal shift system
      *Synchronized reverse gear
      *Needle bearings for all mainshaft gears
      *Heavy-duty rapered roller bearings
      *Powered-steer synchronizer blocker rings with organic friction material
      1998 TA M6 SLP Lid, Cold Air and Bellow, Flowmaster 3", Centerforce DF, Fast Toys MAF ends, JET skip shift eliminator 312rwhp/366rwtq

92 Lincoln Mark VII LSC For Sale

Visit Central Jersey Mustangs & Fords

Comment

That's news to me. But if you put it in first then reverse it won't grind.
        2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

that was from a GM website that had tech data on the T56...

The T5 also had a synchroed reverse after 91 or 92...maybe it was 93, but I know it was one of those....

Yeah, do the forward reverse thing and it won't grind
          1998 TA M6 SLP Lid, Cold Air and Bellow, Flowmaster 3", Centerforce DF, Fast Toys MAF ends, JET skip shift eliminator 312rwhp/366rwtq

92 Lincoln Mark VII LSC For Sale

Visit Central Jersey Mustangs & Fords

Comment

Working...
          X