Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 17" vs 18" Dillemma again

Sorry to ask this same question again.

I'm in the market to buy aftermarket rims. I liked the look of the ROH RT rims I seen on a TA in GM High Tech Performance. It had 18" x 10 in the back and 18" x 9 in the front with Nitto 556 Extreme IIs (I think).

I love the look but problem for me is my A4 TA is a daily driver. I live in Texas so weather is usually not too bad but I do travel to the Midwest from time to time.

Questions:

#1 How significantly is the ride decreased with 18" versus 17" rims? Is it worth getting 18" and sacrificing some ride for a daily driven vehicle? I remember a thread that mentioned the performance differences were negligible between the two.

#2 Do you think it's a bad idea to get 10s in the back and 9s in the front for a daily driven vehicle and prevent tire rotation?

#3 Tires again. Some tire guys recommended BFGR KDWSs but a lot of guys in this forum are very partial to the Firestone Firehawks. Another tire guy said I could use Nittos as a daily driven vehicle tire. What do you guys think.

Thanx again for the help.
    Mixedpuppy

1998 TA, mostly stock, SLP hood, ram air plastic intake, K&N Filter, Transgo Shift Kit, Kooks Stainless LT headers with Magna Flow Cats, Borla Exhaust (Medium plate setting), Kenny Brown SFCs, BMR Tower Strut Brace, 17" ROH RT Rims, 9.5 BFG KDWs, SLP Airlid, Smooth bore bellow, 85mm MAF. Nitrous to come. Action figure not included.

I saw a report that compaired 15s, 16s, 17s, and 18s. There was benifit in going from 15s to 16s, 16s to 17s, but not from 17s to 18s.

I would recomend not getting a steel rim wheel. I had 16x8s with 245-50x16s on them and every one got bent from pot holes and bridges. The lower the series number on the tire the more likely you will get rim damage.

FYI one of the reasons I like the Firestone SZ-50 is they have a rim gaurd beed on them that helps prevent rim damage.

"Rim Guard
    The raised rubber ridge acts like a bumper to protect wheels from curb damage."

http://www.bridgestonetire.com/dpp/g...sProductID=217
    http://www.bridgestonetire.com/dpp/g...ProductID=1075
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

I agree with Jeff- the firestones are the way to go for SUMMER driving- My buddy with an 02 Firehawk has them and it sticks like crazy. However, if you are planning on running these all year round and in the snow, like I do, I would recommend the G-force KDWS tires, as they're still Z-rated but not ice skates in the snow like the firehawks are.

Comment

Working...
      X