HAL/QA1 Bilstein Shock Combo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HAL/QA1 Bilstein Shock Combo

I need new shocks on my 96 Z28 bad. I want to upgrade the handling at the same time. My car is a daily driver that sees the dragstrip a few days a year. I would like shocks that would handle better on the street and maybe even light autocross in the future but still be adjustable for the Dragstrip too. I'd like to keep the the stock springs also and will eventually upgrade the front swaybar. After alot of research and since I can't aford Konis I was thinking of running the HAL/QA1 shocks upfront and Bilstein HDs in the rears with the stock springs. This would let me have ride height adjustability in the front so I can drop it slightly like Sam Strano does with the Konis and replacing the rear spring Isolator with a peice of rubber hose. Plus I'd be able to adjust the front shocks for the strip and tighten them up for street or autoX driving. Now I know the Bilstein HDs are nice but how are the Hal/QA1s in the handling department. The ad says they do well in drag and roadrace applications but I haven't been able to find much info on the handling aspect of the Hals just the Drag stuff. So what do you guys think about this setup. Would it work well? Any help would be greatly apreciated. Thanks in advance....Later

96 Z28 A4, K&N CAI, 3.42 gears, Exhaust Cut Out. Best ET 14.02 -R.I.P. 95 Formula-

I replaced my stock deCarbons with the QA1/HAL adjustable shocks at about 50K miles. The QA1's are excellent drag shocks, and a very "average" road shock. I was not impressed with their road manners. It might have been the particular combo of springs and shocks that I chose - I paired the QA1's with Eibach Pro-Kit springs. The road handling didn't seem any better than stock. And the QA1/Eibach combo in the rear had a very "choppy" ride characteristic, sort of like a slammed S10 pickup that was riding on the axle.

I eventually ditched the Pro-Kits and replaced them with the Drag Launch kit.... good combo for straight line work, nor sure how they would be if I drove the car on the street.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Thanks Fred. Looks like I won't be doing that one either. Maybe I should just go with the bilstien Hds all around. I would love to have had an adjustable shock up front but it seems that you have to pay $220 a peice for the Konis. I wish there was a decent in between priced shock. I was looking at the KYB AGX but most seem to think they're not very good. Also I was looking for something that would lower my car slightly without having to go to lowering springs. Is there any other brand of coilovers that are reasonably priced like tha HAL/QA1 but will handle nicer? Thanks again........Later

96 Z28 A4, K&N CAI, 3.42 gears, Exhaust Cut Out. Best ET 14.02 -R.I.P. 95 Formula-

Comment

Working...
      X