No announcement yet.

you've got to be kidding me....really.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• you've got to be kidding me....really.

okay, I posted some questions about my burnt tranny, so I got it all rebuilt and ready to throw back into the car, with a brand new clutch, preasue plate, turned flywheel, all new gaskets and bearings....you know....the works. so after the stressw of all that, I go to put it back in, and my pilot bushing was so worn around the inside diameter that there was NO lip on the inner part of it. Meaning I can't use the Grease trick to push it out from the inside. The only Idea I have is to go buy a tap, thread a bolt into it and use a puller and the end of the bolt...but that seems like a big hassle for one bushing. any ideas?
    82 camaro x2:
    82 z28 w/ 305 (for now) 4 speed saginaw
    82 berrlinetta with 350 .060 over...3 speed auto

The Z28 is back under the knife, after the transmission, now its the entire engine....will post pics when all finished.

Can you post a pic? That doesnt seem possible.

Comment

I have used a dent puller before with a screw clamped in the puller backwards. I used the head of the screw to catch the lip of the bushing to pull it out. Hey it worked.
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Wet toilet paper will do the trick. Keep packing it in and it'll come out.
        Rob
        04 GTO

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
          Wet toilet paper will do the trick. Keep packing it in and it'll come out.
          He is saying the lip is completely gone. I just dont understand how that could happen. A picture would help.

Comment

the bushing is pressed in, and the inner diameter of the bushing is flush with the diameter of the hole that is in the end of the crank shaft. A picture won't really reveal much because all you would be able to see is the outter most part of the bushing. I don't know weather or not I could get a tap that would be able to tap into the bushing seeing how it is solid steel. Can a regular tap do that? And even so, I am looking for a cheaper alternative to buying a $40 tap for this.
            82 camaro x2:
            82 z28 w/ 305 (for now) 4 speed saginaw
            82 berrlinetta with 350 .060 over...3 speed auto

The Z28 is back under the knife, after the transmission, now its the entire engine....will post pics when all finished.

Comment

Originally posted by seannz28
              the bushing is pressed in, and the inner diameter of the bushing is flush with the diameter of the hole that is in the end of the crank shaft. A picture won't really reveal much because all you would be able to see is the outter most part of the bushing. I don't know weather or not I could get a tap that would be able to tap into the bushing seeing how it is solid steel. Can a regular tap do that? And even so, I am looking for a cheaper alternative to buying a $40 tap for this.
              That is correct. It is supposed to be completely set into the end of the crankshaft.

The way you remove it is to build up pressure in the cavity behind it enough to force it out.

Find a deep socket that just fits in the center of the bushing and fill it with wet toilet paper so it is solid. Put the socket on an extension that you can hammer on.

get a small plastic bowl and put some tiolet paper in it. Get it wet.

now.... shove the toilet paper in the bearing until no more will go in. put your "stuffed" socket in the hole and start hammering. The TP will compress. add more and hammer again.

repeat this and TP will build up enough pressure behind the bearing that it will eventually push out and litteraly fall out of the crank.

it really does work. It is a cakewalk and makes no mess. You'll be surprised.

Comment

Working...
              X