SLP SS/Firehawk Shocks and Springs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SLP SS/Firehawk Shocks and Springs

I am looking for a decently priced way to improve the handling of my 96Z while replacing the worn out stock shocks. I have given up on the adjustable shocks since they are just too much money. I found the SLP SS/Firehawk shocks (Bilstien) and springs for $333.80 plus shipping from SLP. I figure this will give me a good handling street strip suspension and with the money I save I can probably afford a 35mm swaybar too. Those of you with Hawks and SSs, does it handle a decent amount better than the Stock Z28 setup? Also should I get the springs and shocks for the 96-2000 cars or the 2000-2002 ones? They are both the same price. Is one stiffer than the other or something? If there is a difference I'd like the stiffer of the two. All help is greatly apreciated. Thanks in advance........Later

96 Z28 A4, K&N CAI, 3.42 gears, Exhaust Cut Out. Best ET 14.02 -R.I.P. 95 Formula-

I've got a Z also and all I did to wake up her performance was 3 things...

Spohn LCA's
    Spohn Panhard Bar
    SLP bolt-on subframe connectors

try that before you start hitting the springs and shocks. I've got 108+k mi. on my suspension and those 3 things helped a bunch. SFCs were about an hour total, panhard was an hour and a half and LCAs were about 2 hrs. or so. Definitely worth the work man. Try that first. Good luck.
    Steve
    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

My Z has the 32mm front bar, 21 mm rear bar and KYBs. IMHO, this is an awesome combo. Corners very flat, but not overly stiff. This outhandles my WS6.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve93Z
        I've got a Z also and all I did to wake up her performance was 3 things...

Spohn LCA's
        Spohn Panhard Bar
        SLP bolt-on subframe connectors

try that before you start hitting the springs and shocks. I've got 108+k mi. on my suspension and those 3 things helped a bunch. SFCs were about an hour total, panhard was an hour and a half and LCAs were about 2 hrs. or so. Definitely worth the work man. Try that first. Good luck.
        I will do that type stuff eventually but first I want shocks that are functional. You can bounce the rear end of my car up and down. There is almost no shock left so shocks are the first thing I need to do. I'm only getting springs becuase the shocks are valved specifically for those springs and the springs and shocks together are the same price as just the Bilstien HD shocks. Also with those springs it'll lower the car about 1/2inch which is what I want. Later on I'll get the LCAs, PHRD, and SFCs after I get the sway bar. I just have to do things one at a time due to a very limited budget.

96 Z28 A4, K&N CAI, 3.42 gears, Exhaust Cut Out. Best ET 14.02 -R.I.P. 95 Formula-

Comment

The link I tried to post was for BMR springs and Bilstein shocks for $425.oo,they sold within 2 hours!!!!!!
          94 Z28/UltraZ Hood & Box/1 1/2 Drop/52mmTB & Bypass/160 Stat/Pulley/ Catback & pipe/Kirkey seats/5 point belts/WW Wing/Ford9"-4.11- Detroit locker-Strange axles/ZEKE'S Heads & LT4 HC/Stainless Headers & Y/1LE Panhard/BMR SFCs-STB-Relo Brackets-Tunnel Brace-Adj Tq arm- Sway bar- LCAs-PHB/ABARE RACING 4L60E/COAN 3200/Monster tach & light/DS Loop

19/09/04[M6]=12.392@113.518 / 1.802 60ft.

10/04/05[A4]=12.29@111.9 /1.652 60ft.

Comment

I hear ya on the limited budget. I got lucky and had a lump sum left to me so I could get everything at once this time, but now its back to the limited budget. If you can deal with not lowering the car for now, SLP has a set of take-off shocks and springs, set of 4 each with almost no miles on them, for like $80. Not exactly the best on the market, but this would allow you to do other things as well as put the car back to the way the suspension should be when stock. Just a thought. Good luck.
            Steve
            79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
            87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
            93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
            http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

I thought about doing the take off shocks since I did that on my Formula but everything I've read since says that they are the real weak part of the suspension and the take-off springs are the same as what I have on there now. I can get the SLP Bilsteins and Springs for 333.80 + shipping which is about what I wanted to spend and is about what the Bilstein HDs cost by themselves so I figure I might as well get the springs and shocks since these are a stiffer than stock and are made to go specially to go with the SLP Bilsteins...That's my reasoning anyway. I like to replace worn out parts with upgrades so my car will just get better with age .....Later

Comment

Working...
              X