Upgrade the injectors?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade the injectors?

Ok, as most are aware, I've got a 93 LT1 with the original MPFI fuel setup. If I remember correctly, they are 22lb. injectors. Would it be worthwhile to upgrade to 24lb. fuel injectors or would I be wasting money on parts, labor and gas? Any input is appreciated. Thanks.
    Steve
    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

What mods do you have? If your stock or only have bolt ons, then yes it would be a huge waste of time/money/resources etc.

KnightFire
    1993 Formula Firebird
    Check Homepage for mods and photos...

KnightFire's Lair

Amsoil Dealer

Comment

The only advantage I can see, assuming you have a stock system, is restoring proper flow. Your 93 injectors probably have a few miles on them by now. Most likely, one or two has a poor spray pattern or leaks. Upgraded to a "new" injector, regardless of 22 or 24, will help with performance and reduce emissions and increase gas mileage. A good quality, flow-matched "pintle" design (i.e. Bosch) is the way to go. You'll probably want to stick with 22 pounders as well as you will see no gains with going bigger unless airflow and computer work is performed at the same time.
      Al 96 Ram Air T/A
      Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I have redone the whole intake system in front of the motor, which includes an SLP CAI, Vortech intake elbow and SLP throttle body air foil. The previous owner put a chip in her too, but not sure which one. I'm going to switch it out and go to PCMForLess for a new chip. I found that ATR is selling Delphi injectors for $40/inj. and available at 24 lb. delivery rate. The only one smaller that they have is a 16, which obviously won't work. Would it be worth it then? The current ones do have 108+k on them, so I can imagine they are worn as Al said. Thanks a bunch guys.
        Steve

Comment

$320 for injectors sounds pricey. I'm not familiar with Delphi injectors...I beleive a good set of Ford SVO injectros (which are pintle design) are quite a bit cheaper. Accele also makes a nice set for less money...check e-bay.
          Al 96 Ram Air T/A
          Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

Re: Upgrade the injectors?

Originally posted by Steve93Z
            Ok, as most are aware, I've got a 93 LT1 with the original MPFI fuel setup. If I remember correctly, they are 22lb. injectors. Would it be worthwhile to upgrade to 24lb. fuel injectors or would I be wasting money on parts, labor and gas? Any input is appreciated. Thanks.
            Are you looking to gain horsepower or correct a problem?

Unless you substantially increase the amount of air being delivered to the motor such as ported heads, larger cam, larger valves, etc., the 22 lb/hr flow rate is plenty. Unfortunately simply going to a larger injector won't yield any hp gains.

If you're looking to correct an issue with the way your motor is running give us some more details and maybe we can help.

Comment

I've got a set of SVO 24# with very few miles... they were way too small for my blower setup. I'd take 125 +shipping for the set if you (or anyone) is interested, there just sitting in a box in my garage. I should probably put them in the for sale section...Hmmmm

If you want them, let me know at craig@cdccomp.com (I accept paypal )

Flash - '97 Black WS/6, Intercooled Powerdyne 11# , LTCC Coil Per Cylinder Ignition, OPTI High Voltage Deleted, 160, Short Stick, BMR-STB, adjustable Shocks, PP+ w/scan, !CAGS, Flowmaster 3" cat-back... 43k miles as of Aug. 2006

**-** BOOST, it's no replacement for displacement, and there's definitely no replacement for having both!

Comment

Well, there isn't really a problem that I can think of that involves the injectors. I do notice though that she seems kinda sluggish when i punch it, but i think it may be my driving style. I usually shift about 2k in the band to try and save gas...is 16mpg about normal for mostly city driving? Also, I notice sometimes I can smell her burning a little rich, but I think it might be the way the motor is set due to the car being a stick (i know on older cars the motor was set to idle a little higher and burn a little richer with a stick vs. an auto). Thanks guys.
                Steve

Comment

Working...
                X