Ford GT40

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford GT40

I'm sure everyone has heard of Ford's plans to produce the GT. Some people are saying it will outperform the Saleen S7 and it will be the greatest American supercar. Now... I know Ford fans are already building temples to worshp it as their Messiah... but am I the only one who thinks this thing is ugly as sin? It might perform like a Formula 1 car... but for all I care, I think its ugly as an Aztek. Wow... yes, I meant it. Ugly as an Aztek. Anybody else baffled by the amount of hype surrounding this car?
    Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

I hope no one here drives an Aztek... sorry...
    Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Comment

There seems to be a new trend amoungst the car makers to build the ugliest cars/trucks nowadays. The Aztec, the Avalanche, the Focus, the Honda Element, Toyota Echo, etc. What kills me is that people are paying big $$$ to buy this ugly stuff. I saw 2 of those Honda Elements in a short 3 mile drive yesterday. I haven't seen the GT40 yet so I can't comment on that.
      69 Z28 with JL8 factory 4 wheel disc brakes, crossram, transistor ignition, radio delete, heater delete - being restored
      70 SS 396 L78 documented, #'s matching
      2000 SS Camaro daily beater

Comment

You have to understand that the GT40 is "retro".... they are trying to recapture the image of what was in its day a truely fantastic GT racer. That's the way it looked then.... and I liked it then, like it now. In the late 1960's, it was nice to see "American iron" dominate at LeMans and Sebring..... even if it was "blue oval". Kinda like the C5-R's today.

Now, if GM chose to come out with a retro version of a Jim Hall Chaparell road race car, they would really be on to something. It wouldn't be "pretty", with all those side skirts and the big vacuum cleaner holding it down on the pavement, but it sure would be a blast to drive.......
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Oh I know it is supposed to be "retro", and I definitely respect its heritage. However, in my humble opinion, it was ugly then, and it's ugly now. Even if I had that kind of money to throw at it, and if it does perform as well as they claim, I still wouldn't buy it. I just cannot get over its looks. A Corvette, Viper, or Porsche just have so much more class, style, and sex appeal. The GT may scream performance, but it doesn't do it with style. A car has to be good-looking for me to buy it, that is the first thing I notice. Luckily for me, most sports cars are good looking, so then I can make my decision based on performance... the GT is an exception, I can't even consider it just because of its looks.

Comment

Form follows function......

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Well, in the case of the Corvette, Viper, and Porsche... they prove function doesn't have to make the form ugly.

Comment

I think style is in the eyes of the beholder. Each person has his or her own tastes, and that is OK. I truly hate F.O.R.D., and I always will, but for those that like them…more power to them. The F.O.R.D GT was one heck of a car in its day, and I am old enough to have caught the nostalgia of it all. Somewhere in my old model collection from when I was a kid, I have one of these old beasts. Even though, it is a F.O.R.D., I am happy to see that it is on the road again. And, it is much much better then that peace of junk Mustang they put out. For those in their late 30s, 40s, and 50s, this car is a trademark of a different time and place, and it is cool to see. Anyhow, my .02 worth.
                '77 K5 rock-crawler project
                '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
                '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
                '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
                '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
                My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
                Thomas Jefferson

Comment

GT40...YEAH!!

I have to say I LOVE the GT40, and the new GT. I have always liked the way they looked.

I was at a Shelby Cobra Replica show over the weekend and there were several replica GT40's there - and I have to tell you - when you see these things blasting down the street! AW, man they are just awesome.

The 427 S/C is my all time dream car, but the GT40 is definitely in the top 10!
                  99 TA "RBLUTA" - NBM, M6, Whisper Lid, SLP Fan Switch, 160* Thermo, SLP LM, BMR STB & LCA's.

***SOLD*** It will be missed!!
                  93 Formula "FRMLAV8" -383 Stroker

Comment

Here ya go!!

99 TA "RBLUTA" - NBM, M6, Whisper Lid, SLP Fan Switch, 160* Thermo, SLP LM, BMR STB & LCA's.

***SOLD*** It will be missed!!
                    93 Formula "FRMLAV8" -383 Stroker

Comment

http://www.powerful-cars.de/bugatti%...64/index2.html

Now THIS is the most amazing car I have ever seen! I need a ride... just one ride... pleeeeeaase!

Comment

http://www.powerful-cars.de/bugatti%...64/index2.html

Now THIS is the most amazing car I have ever seen! I need a ride... just one ride... pleeeeeaase!

By the way, some info:

8.0L W-16 engine, quad turbo (that's right, QUAD)
                        AWD
                        1000 HP
                        922 ft-lbs of torque (from 2200-5200 RPM!!!!!)
                        0-60 in less than 3 seconds
                        top speed: 250 + mph
                        price: $800,000

Comment

Only thing wrong with the Bugatti is that dang grill....yeesh!!

Given the choice I'd take the GT and run off with the other $650,000....
                          Joe K.
                          '11 BMW 328i
                          '10 Matrix S AWD
                          Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Working...
                          X