Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any 4th gens running a slick on a 15" rim?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any 4th gens running a slick on a 15" rim?

Im looking at slicks and I am curious about sizes. I am looking at a 26 x 11.5 x 16, but am a little hesitant to go with a 16 inch tire. I think a 15 would give a little more flex to the sidewall for more grab. What 15 " size tire and rim combo would you guys recommend? Can I get the right backspacing on a 15" rim?
    96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
    11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

You can run a 15x8 5.5" or 6.0" backspace, or a 15x10 7.5" BS. I like the 15x10, because that will handle virtually any slick you can physically fit on a 4th Gen without a torch and a canopener.

The popular wheels are the Weld Pro-Star and DragLite, the Centerline AutoDrag, and for budget applications the Centerline Telstar. For all out, low weight applications, Bogart makes a 15x9.75" wheel with the correct offset specifically for the 4th Gen.

With the Welds, you need to grind the fins off the rear calipers. They also use a "extra long shank mag-style lug with washer" that requires longer studs to meet NHRA tech. The Telstars are more of a direct bolt on, but are a heavier wheel.

I've run the 26x11.5-16 ET Streets and they were very sticky. Probably good for 11-second rides. I had the Hoosier QTP 28x11.5-15's for a while. Also very sticky, and just require a little adjustment of the axle location when trap speeds go over 125MPH, due to tire growth. Currently running 28x10.5-15W ET Drags, and had to take about 1.5" off the rubber bumper cover. Don't know how those will work yet.... I was concerned about hooking with a full 300-shot off the line, but I think I may have overdone it on the tire... it showed about 30rwHP loss on the dyno.

The other disadvantage of the large diameter tire is the affect on the rear axle ratio.... you need a lot of gear for a 28" tire. I would look at the 27's.

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

So, do you think the 26X11.5X16 ET streets will have enough grab for my car with a 4.10 gear? Or do you think its worth it to spend more $$ to get a 15 ET street on a Telstar rim??
      96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle

Comment

When I was running the 26x11.5-16's, I had them on some Centerline 9.5" wide wheels.... not particularly light. I **THINK** those were also the tires I was running when the stroker was first done.... and I was running the M6, 3.73's and launching with 5K dumps through a Street Twin. The tires hooked fine. But that's strictly N/A at about 500HP. Never ran them with the nitrous.

It's really a tossup....

When you decided to go to 4.10's, did you check the redline vs. trap speed? With 26" tires, you are talking 6,100rpm at 115mph. Is your redline high enough to keep you from shifting to 5th gear?
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I don't think the telestar combo is going to work out. The offset puts the tire flush with the fender edge. It think that's going to start causing problems with a taller tire contacting the fender. With the proper offset (read higher $$), you can keep it tucked within the fender and height won't be an issue.

Comment

I saw a post somewhere that indicated that Centerline had made up a "4th Gen offset" Telstar, in response to the high demand. I'll have to check where I saw that.... maybe CZ28.com "Drag Racing" forum.

The 5.5" backspace would put the outer edge of the tire the same place mine is. I think the Telstar was only available in 5.0" before.
            Fred

Comment

Re: Any 4th gens running a slick on a 15" rim?

Originally posted by N20LT4Bird
              Im looking at slicks and I am curious about sizes. I am looking at a 26 x 11.5 x 16 Drag, but am a little hesitant to go with a 16 inch tire. I think a 15 would give a little more flex to the sidewall for more grab. What 15 " size tire and rim combo would you guys recommend? Can I get the right backspacing on a 15" rim?
              I like the looks of the Pro Star. Given your setup N20LT4BIRD, I think a 15x10 Weld Pro Star and a MT 26x10.0-15 would hook good. I know Mickey Thompson makes certain tires specifically for manual tranny's but I don't know about there smaller sizes. I *think* it has a 3 ply sidewall instead of the 2 ply. Call them and ask. How is your rear-end housing bracket project coming along?

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer

It's really a tossup....

When you decided to go to 4.10's, did you check the redline vs. trap speed? With 26" tires, you are talking 6,100rpm at 115mph. Is your redline high enough to keep you from shifting to 5th gear?
                My redline is around 6800. I used to trap at 119mph. I am going to get it on a dyno to make sure I've got the "room" for a 4.10, but according to the math that I got form some of you guys, it should be okay.

Comment

Re: Re: Any 4th gens running a slick on a 15" rim?

Originally posted by fastTA
                  How is your rear-end housing bracket project coming along?
                  I was working on it for a while last night, but I am still really just starting. I got the rear degreased and the old bracketry cut off and ground smooth. I've got a ways to go. I am working on it little by little to have it done by april or may.

Comment

Working...
                  X