This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newcomer

Whats up everybody, I am new to this page. I am only 17 years old and have a 95 Trans Am that i pay $400 a month for. It is still all stock. I am going to put 4.10 gears in it and flowmaster cat-back exhaust with no cats and hooker longtube headers this spring. I have a low budget. Do any of you EXPERTS have any advice. Anything would be appreciated.

The BANDIT

Welcome!
    I'm assuming you have an M6 because you want to put in such low gears into it. I would recommend what everyone else would say as your first mods: a good cold air kit (k&n, Moroso, or SLP) and a good cat-back system (SLP 2 on the left, SLP loudmouth - which is LOUD, Borla - which is adjustable in sound because it has its own cutout, and a few others). If you're on a budget, I would suggest the SLP Loudmouth, not the flowmaster system IMHO. Those 2 mods are good for .3 in the quarter mile, and possibly 20-30 hp.
    Now, onto the cat(s). Where was your car originally from? If it was from California, then you're right with the dual cats. If it's from outside of CA, then your car has 1 cat because it's a '95. If you remove your cat, you will lose backpressure, and the advantages/disadvantages are arguable. For example, I have heard someone put a Carsound cat in place of a 3" offroad pipe, and gain 1 mph in the quarter mile.
    As far as the gears go, if you're going with 4.10s, you'd better have some traction. I've read many people say 1st gear is way too low for stock tires with 4.10s. So I would suggest a good set of sticky tires, then get all the Spohn suspension parts you can afford - particularly the lower control arms. Then maybe the panhard bar and torque arm. Ask Ken (wolfman) about the tires - he's the expert.
    There are also free mods you can do to your car, including the throttle body coolant bypass mod, which can show up to 6 horsepower compared to a heat soaked engine. Check out www.ws6.com for details on his mods and how much power he's gained with each mod.
    Good luck.
    94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

crig i read ur post about ur car sry to hear that again nice car

Comment

Re: Newcomer

Originally posted by Bandit95
        Whats up everybody, I am new to this page. I am only 17 years old and have a 95 Trans Am that i pay $400 a month for. It is still all stock. I am going to put 4.10 gears in it and flowmaster cat-back exhaust with no cats and hooker longtube headers this spring. I have a low budget. Do any of you EXPERTS have any advice. Anything would be appreciated.

The BANDIT
        Welcome Bandit. I think that a cold air kit (assuming you don't already have a WS6) , gears, LT's, and catback are all good starters. There is another fairly inexpensive and easy mod that most overlook. You can replace your stamped 1.5 rocker arms with full roller 1.6 rocker. The increased lift and reduced valve stem/rocker friction is good for about 20 hp

Comment

Welcome. I got my first f-bod when I was 17 also. It was a 1986 camaro v6. I dropped a 5.7 in it and did it up really nice.

My first mod would be bypassing the car payment. Pay it off, then make it faster. Mod money is much easier to get without a car payment!!

There are "free" mods to be done....

IAT bypass mod w/4.7K ohm resistor
          TB coolant bypass
          descreen the MAF

And... make it look like new! (also an inexpensive project)
          I'd wash it well, then clay bar it. Then.... Zaino time!!
          I always detail the wheels by removing them and degreasing them thoroughly inside and out. Then wax them.

while the wheels are off inspect and degrease the brakes. If the pads look worn pop in some fresh ones. Degrease the wheelwells and scrub everything like the shocks, springs, suspension really well. I use silicone dressing on everything afterwards to give it a new sheen. Replace the wheels and the car looks like new.

How is the interior? Is the carpet good? floormats? seats? a replacement carpet is cheep, and new floormats help alot too. seatcovers can come off and get washed in your regular laundry. (cold setting) Detail the dash, replace any little broken or missing parts.

Clean the engine. I go to a high pressure wash and use gumout foaming engine brite. do not spray the optispark.
          After it dries, I use silicone dressing on everything. After a couple days it dries to a showroom new sheen. It closely mimics the moldrelease used to originally make the parts.

Have fun!

Comment

"There is another fairly inexpensive and easy mod that most overlook. You can replace your stamped 1.5 rocker arms with full roller 1.6 rocker. The increased lift and reduced valve stem/rocker friction is good for about 20 hp"

Hey Fast where can I get a set? Who do you like?

96 TA Sold!
            87 TA Sold!
            80 Z28 Sold!
            74 Formula Sold!
            73 Z28 Sold!
            69 Camaro Not Sold!

Comment

welcome, im 17 too nice to have someone my age around here
              i got my car last november but it was paid in full the day i got it so i dont gotta worry about that
              like tabahr said pay it off first just to get that outa the way then have fun with mods

Comment

*** Edited for content***

I believe you HAVE BEEN TOLD on several occasions before about these type of posts. I also believe that you were given a last chance and in my opinion, you've just used it up.

Way to make a new person feel welcomed in the world of F-bodies...you are truly a thick individual.

If it were up to me, you would be gone.

KnightFire

Comment

damn briantech your a ***** moron why u gotta start **** with people for no reason

[EDIT by moderator - As irritating as the above post is, please do not stoop to the same level with foul language. The Moderators will take care of the situation]

Comment

Originally posted by briantech
                    mommy and daddy buy it for you, or did you run 5 kilos of cocain across the border for someone?
                    You continue to amaze us all. He has a car loan, and most likely works hard to pay for it. Why do you have to be such a jerk?

Comment

Originally posted by briantech
                      mommy and daddy buy it for you, or did you run 5 kilos of cocain across the border for someone?
                      This ought to be enough to get you banned.... if it isn't there's something wrong.
                      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Brian....... time we take this to e-mail. It's time we got a few things straight.

Why can't you guys play nice?

The situation has been handled and there will be no further warnings.

Comment

Working...
                        X